Glock 30 series questions

This is a discussion on Glock 30 series questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a G23 LE and my wife carrys a G36. I'm looking for another .45, whatever differences in the 30, 30s, and 30sf? ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By Recon1342

Thread: Glock 30 series questions

Glock 30 series questions

I currently carry a G23 LE and my wife carrys a G36. I'm looking for another .45, whatever differences in the 30, 30s, and 30sf? Also, open to other suggestions as well...

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The G30 is the original, and is a beefy, reliable bear.

The G30SF shortened the depth of the grip for folks with smaller hands. I have big paws and have this model, just because it was at my LGS when I was in a buying mood. I then discovered that a 9-round magazine makes a huge difference in grip length, making it far more concealable and comfortable to carry. 9+1 of 230gr HP works for me, and this is the gun that I carry most often.

Glockaphiles realized that they could swap the slide of a G36 and mate it to a G30, and it would run just fine, gaining the benefit of a slimmer slide. Glock picked up on this trick and came out with the 30s, which is just that.

Another nice benefit is that you can purchase a 10mm barrel, G29 recoil spring and magazines, and quickly convert it to a G29. I've not heard of anyone trying this with a 30s, but it works like a champ on my G30SF.
    los likes this.

^^^ What He said^^^

SF= Short Frame(reduced the grip from front to back)

S= Slim(thinner slide)
    The Police arrive just in time to draw chalk outlines

It's up to You to make sure the outline isn't around Your body

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    The G30 is the original, and is a beefy, reliable bear.

The G30SF shortened the depth of the grip for folks with smaller hands. I have big paws and have this model, just because it was at my LGS when I was in a buying mood. I then discovered that a 9-round magazine makes a huge difference in grip length, making it far more concealable and comfortable to carry. 9+1 of 230gr HP works for me, and this is the gun that I carry most often.

Glockaphiles realized that they could swap the slide of a G36 and mate it to a G30, and it would run just fine, gaining the benefit of a slimmer slide. Glock picked up on this trick and came out with the 30s, which is just that.

Another nice benefit is that you can purchase a 10mm barrel, G29 recoil spring and magazines, and quickly convert it to a G29. I've not heard of anyone trying this with a 30s, but it works like a champ on my G30SF.
    The part in bold bears repeating. IMHO, Glock is missing a huge marketing opportunity by not including a 9-rd mag with each G30 (whatever version).

Also, my G30 is the only semi auto that I own that I do not carry +1...the last round is just too hard to insert into the mag, and more importantly, puts more stress on the mag catch than I am comfortable with. It also creates drag on the underside of the slide, making racking the slide a bit harder if you ever needed to, say, clear a dud from the chamber.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Let me also add something to the discussion. The Gen 4 Glock 30 comes with the replaceable backstraps. Without an extra backstrap installed, the Gen 4 Glock has the same grip as the G30 SF. When I purchased my Gen 4 Glock 30 several months back, I compared the 30s, the 30SF, and the Gen 4 30 all side by side. The price was the same for any of the three and I liked the feel of the Gen 4's grip texture the best. The G30 is a really sweet shooting pistol.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The 30S is a combo of the 30SF frame and 36 slide, unless I'm wrong. The slide is like .12 inch slimmer but the frame width is not changed, so concealing or more comfortable IWB than the standard 30 or 30SF is a debatable opinion at best. It is a bit lighter, which may make the recoil a bit more snappier than some prefer. It will come down to personal choice between the three.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

G36- Glock's RHSC... She's slim, sexy, and has a real mean temper!

The only reason I don't own one? I like full size double stack .45's... So G21SF for me!

My wife carries the g36, I'm looking for another. 45, but I may buy another g36...any suggestions?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    G36- Glock's RHSC... She's slim, sexy, and has a real mean temper!

The only reason I don't own one? I like full size double stack .45's... So G21SF for me!
    betcha can't do this with your G21. G36 in a Desantis Apache Ankle Rig.

Recon1342 and Christopher67 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    betcha can't do this with your G21. G36 in a Desantis Apache Ankle Rig.

True... But as skinny as I am, a G36 in an ankle rig would make me list to one side!
    Christopher67 likes this.

I carry a glock 27, love it!

I'll be ordering a G30S after the first of the year myself. It'll make a nice "little brother" for my Gen4 G21, and I'm planning for it to become my primary EDC.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen4 G21, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, S&W M&P 9, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Links