There and back again - the snubbie revolver journey

This is a discussion on There and back again - the snubbie revolver journey within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep telling myself that a snubbie has too little capacity and accuracy and is too different from my semi autos to consider. I've sold ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: There and back again - the snubbie revolver journey

I keep telling myself that a snubbie has too little capacity and accuracy and is too different from my semi autos to consider. I've sold two snubbies in my past and after a lengthy experiment of staying away from the weak .380 ACP but trying unsuccessfully to pocket carry my 9mm autos, I reached an overwhelming conclusion: every CCW holder should have a snub nose revolver.

It's the easiest of pocket. It has adequate stopping power with +P .38 sp. It's light. With practice it is accurate at short yardage. But what ties it all together is how easy it is to just drop one into a pants pocket on the way out the door. And how lightly and seamlessly it blends into almost any attire.

Here's the result of my 360 degree travel back to a snubbie. I still carry my Glocks on days I need to arm up more or when time/attire allow it. But most days, my new S&W 642 Centennial will be accompanying me on my life's journeys.

Slow shooting at 5 yards. The outliner was a flinch special. The rest were in the black.

So for you, the CPX-2 turned out to be too big for pocket carry?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Welcome back to the right side. Now quit leaving and save yourself some headache! Never let that snub go
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think we all make the same journey. The question is, can we all come to the best conclusion before we go broke from the switching and trading?
    I probably could have retired now with all the money I have lost on guns just to reach the same conclusion you did.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    With practice, they are accurate at long yardage.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    I'm with you on this. Only I don't sell it, I just shove it back in the safe.

I carried a 637 all summer quite contentedly. Somewhere I must have gotten insecure because I'm back to carrying a G30SF now. 'Dunno.

Everybody needs a snubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    So for you, the CPX-2 turned out to be too big for pocket carry?
    In short yes. It was light enough but bulky. It was like I stuffed a Sneaky Pete down my front pocket. Doable but I wasn't fooling anyone.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

For me I have yet to find the right holster that is siliming enough for them. But that said I do like wheel guns. Seeing as most pocket 380s only hold 6-7 rounds I am not missing out of much plust 357 mag makes up for lack of rounds imop.

Honestly the only thing keeping me from buying more is the lack of cheep no lock stub nose . About the only current made s&w no lock is a 642 .
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Funny chris we all do it even me an
    I have been a snubbie guy for 40 years. Every once an awhile I get sucked into the newest gun. Guess I am just a sucker for hype. Today it was just so easy to throw my 642 in my pocket for a trip to home depot. I just whipped up a bunch of .38 spl an some nines for a trip to the range. I will be taking my SP, mod 60 an the 642 along with my CZ, always have fun with the snubs an always get some comments on how the heck are you shooting so well with those snubs. Hey it only takes 40 years of practice an the realization that its all you really need.

VIP Member
    A snubbie may not be the right gun for every circumstance, just like a semi-auto may not be either. The thing to remember is that any gun, left in the safe is the wrong gun when you need one.
    Remy, ArmyCop and GentlemanJim like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I probably could have retired now with all the money I have lost on guns just to reach the same conclusion you did.
    And his wife says, ""

Not in the market for any new guns, but a snubbie is at the top of the list if I do get that itch.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I think it's a great idea to have at least one pocket gun, something to carry when you can't carry anything else. The options seem to be a .380 auto or a .38 (or .357) revolver. I agree that most small 9mm's are just too big for this role; even if you normally have large pockets, what if you need to wear something different for a special occasion?

My choice is also snubby. Better round and more reliable than the pocket .380's. Not to say the .380's are a bad choice.
    DetChris likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

ó Captain Bellamy

Most days, my LCP backs up my LCR. I considered another LCR, but it is easier to manipulate the semi auto LCP one handed, especially weak-hand-only.

LCR plus LCP...best of both worlds, when carrying one of the Glocks is too much.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    With practice, they are accurate at long yardage.
    Yep. An old buddy of mine still shoots PPC with a 2" bbl custom snubbie. He regularly beats guys shooting with 6" bbls.

Credit where credit due though. He is damn good.
    OD* and Rigrat like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I'm more in the younger crowd but I will admit, I secretly want a snubbie for CCW. I always find myself wanting to sell my PX4C storm to buy a snubbie. I know it's probably not the smartest thing to do but my px4 gives me fatigue on my opposite hip that I'm carrying. Of course, I'm also carrying 15+1 rounds but I'm really considering and buying a snubbie and a LCP as a BUG.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links