Nearly bought a polymer Colt today....

This is a discussion on Nearly bought a polymer Colt today.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep. The new Mustang II. Local emporium had one in stock, for a very fair price (that is, after pricing online, I wouldn't save more ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By Stirling XD
  • 2 Post By lionround
  • 1 Post By Easy8

Thread: Nearly bought a polymer Colt today....

Yep.

The new Mustang II. Local emporium had one in stock, for a very fair price (that is, after pricing online, I wouldn't save more than $10 after figuring shipping and transfer).

I've been tossing around the idea of a pocket .380 for a while. I was up in the air between a Sig 238 and a Mustang, but I rather like the better sights on the 238...but I also prefer the Pony.

The polymer Mustang II has a dovetailed front sight--it could easily be replaced.

I slipped it in my pocket (with blessing, of course)--without a holster, it was like it wasn't there (it would get a holster for actual carry, of course).

The trigger was a little heavy, but for a pistol for pocket carry this is not a bad thing--at least in my view.

So--anybody have one? Thoughts?

And--for our resident Colt knowledge base (I'm talkin' to you, OD* )--I was told that the polymer frame was subcontracted out of the US--but I'm not seeing any import marks, nor would I think that it would work with the GCA 68 laws...any truth to this, or is it typical gun shop "I gotta act like I know more than you about these guns" foofooraw?

Because, I must say--I LIKE THIS PISTOL. If I hadn't just spent way too much on some optics, it would have come home with me (and still might...it's only 5 minutes away!).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I've got one of the earlier Mustangs (mid '90s). It's a nice little pistol and I carry it a lot in a pocket holster. I don't have any complaints about accuracy (at least for something that size) or reliability. If I had to replace it, I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have a '66 Mustang 289.

Not what you are talking about, huh? Anyway, I have heard nothing but good things about them. If I were buying a .380, that would be way high up on my list.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Had a mustang many years ago great gun very reliable, scot mcdougal used to do great work on them out of california but
    I think they closed up.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The pistol that almost emptied your wallet is actually the XSP version of the Mustang.

There was a Mustang II back in the early 90's, I believe. ("Plus II" actually, as it added two rounds with it's longer grip)

My next pistol purchase will be the new Mustang XSP. Just need to find one for the right price...

Don't know about the new polymer model, but I have had a Govt. model .380 (1980's) and was my EDC for many years until I got
    a Pocket Nine as an anniversary gift around 2004 or so. The .380 is a great pistol, and now is my son's EDC. Nice shooting, easy
    carry and all around fine weapon. And you can't go wrong with a Colt......
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Sponsored Links