LC9 Magazine Safety Removal: A Report

This is a discussion on LC9 Magazine Safety Removal: A Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Although I like most things about my LC9 very much, like most owners, I never particularly liked the really long trigger pull. Unlike some, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: LC9 Magazine Safety Removal: A Report

Although I like most things about my LC9 very much, like most owners, I never particularly liked the really long trigger pull. Unlike some, I didn't think it was the worst thing in the history of the world; it just wasn't very good. Certainly it made the gun difficult to fire by accident, but it also made it difficult to fire on purpose. I'd heard that removal of the magazine safety improved the trigger somewhat, so I decided to do it.
    The result is a gun that is actually enjoyable to shoot and one that is (for me) much more accurate as well. The trigger now feels "normal"; it's a double-action trigger, but it feels smooth and predictable. No more wondering when (or if) the gun might fire. I don't plan any further modifications.
    Regarding the how-to's: I began with Eric Galloway's how-to video. I give Eric credit for providing the video. He didn't have to do anything. But, Eric tends to mumble, he talks to himself occasionally, and, most notably, his hands obscure the work as he tells you just how fast and easy the job is. I found that frustrating. I completed the job with the help of written instructions provided by a member of this forum in another post. I've since done the job on two other LC9's, and the task now is "fast and easy".
    In sum, I'd say that removal of the magazine interconnect is definitely worth doing and makes an okay gun into one that is much more fun to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Remove the mag disconnect because it's a safety issue. If your mag isn't properly seated when you draw your firearm for self defense, you may not get a second chance to tap, rack, and shoot. With a round chambered, a gun should fire. Period. The only reason that severely mentally disabled feature is even there is for lawyers and to clear the ATF requirements due to it's size. I despise mag disconnects.

Also, if you actually want a good trigger on the LC9, get the upgrades from here:
    Galloway Precision :: Ruger? Performance :: LC9 and LC380 Performance Parts

Doing so will shorten the break point, reduce trigger creep, and lighten the trigger pull a little, making it an actually acceptable trigger.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Remove the mag disconnect because it's a safety issue. If your mag isn't properly seated when you draw your firearm for self defense, you may not get a second chance to tap, rack, and shoot. With a round chambered, a gun should fire. Period. The only reason that severely mentally disabled feature is even there is for lawyers and to clear the ATF requirements due to it's size. I despise mag disconnects.

Also, if you actually want a good trigger on the LC9, get the upgrades from here:
    Galloway Precision :: Ruger? Performance :: LC9 and LC380 Performance Parts

Doing so will shorten the break point, reduce trigger creep, and lighten the trigger pull a little, making it an actually acceptable trigger.
    My LC9 has the Galloway trigger parts. It made a huge difference in the trigger pull.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I looked at the LC9 really hard, but after $400 or so for the gun, another $100-150 for the trigger parts, etc.. I was already up around $550, then more for tritium sights, laser, holster, spare mags... which landed me right in the same market as the Nano, PPS, Sig, etc.. so many options that didn't need aftermarket trigger work.
    blitzburgh and Mdauben like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    My LC9 has the Galloway trigger parts. It made a huge difference in the trigger pull.
    I agree; the Galloway trigger kit would make the gun better still; but removal of the magazine safety is free, and it's immediately doable. You don't end up with the best possible trigger, but you do end up with a much better one. Eric seems to sell out of the trigger kits as soon as he gets them, so unless you time it right or want to send him your parts, you just have to wait. If I were to make a comparison, I'd say the difference in the LC9 with and without the safety is much like the difference between the first and second generation LCP's; perhaps not that pronounced, but close.

I believe the reason for the magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator was to allow Ruger to market the gun in places like California. It's hard to fault Ruger for that as that's a pretty big market. Personally, I think the LCI is just silly, but I think the magazine safety is irritating and dangerous. Getting rid of it makes a good gun better.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    I agree; the Galloway trigger kit would make the gun better still; but removal of the magazine safety is free, and it's immediately doable. You don't end up with the best possible trigger, but you do end up with a much better one. Eric seems to sell out of the trigger kits as soon as he gets them, so unless you time it right or want to send him your parts, you just have to wait. If I were to make a comparison, I'd say the difference in the LC9 with and without the safety is much like the difference between the first and second generation LCP's; perhaps not that pronounced, but close.

I believe the reason for the magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator was to allow Ruger to market the gun in places like California. It's hard to fault Ruger for that as that's a pretty big market. Personally, I think the LCI is just silly, but I think the magazine safety is irritating and dangerous. Getting rid of it makes a good gun better.
    One of the many reasons to hate California: its moronic regulations tend to become the de facto standards for the rest of the country. Maybe it'll secede. Is there a way to MAKE it secede? Like, kick it out? I'm not sure what that would be called.
    blitzburgh, Mdauben and ctr like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

I just keep hoping it'll break away from the U.S. and float out into sea like an iceberg.
    maxwell97, Mdauben, ctr and 1 others like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Mag safety is safely in storage on my LC9, however, I am not hating the LCI as much as I did when I first bought the gun. The LCI takes the guess work out of knowing if there is one in the chamber, or not.

For what it's worth, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    Although I like most things about my LC9 very much, like most owners, I never particularly liked the really long trigger pull. Unlike some, I didn't think it was the worst thing in the history of the world; it just wasn't very good. Certainly it made the gun difficult to fire by accident, but it also made it difficult to fire on purpose. I'd heard that removal of the magazine safety improved the trigger somewhat, so I decided to do it.
    The result is a gun that is actually enjoyable to shoot and one that is (for me) much more accurate as well. The trigger now feels "normal"; it's a double-action trigger, but it feels smooth and predictable. No more wondering when (or if) the gun might fire. I don't plan any further modifications.
    Regarding the how-to's: I began with Eric Galloway's how-to video. I give Eric credit for providing the video. He didn't have to do anything. But, Eric tends to mumble, he talks to himself occasionally, and, most notably, his hands obscure the work as he tells you just how fast and easy the job is. I found that frustrating. I completed the job with the help of written instructions provided by a member of this forum in another post. I've since done the job on two other LC9's, and the task now is "fast and easy".
    In sum, I'd say that removal of the magazine interconnect is definitely worth doing and makes an okay gun into one that is much more fun to shoot.
    Well practice should have fixed the issue that being not the gun but the owner. Yes that was really a low blow. But the reality of the situation is you modified a weapon that you carry or use for self defense. In doing so you have exposed yourself to a not only dangerous situation but also made it easy for some Antigun overzealous prosecutor to make you an example of why people should not have the right to own or carry concealed weapons for self defense. Plus you made it easy for him to convict you of wrongful death or worse murder. Now was it easier to do this or just practice more or even purchase a weapon better suited to your style of shooting? ........... Just saying!

Sorry if come across like a jerk but it has to be said.

jcm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregs04.5 View Post
    Mag safety is safely in storage on my LC9, however, I am not hating the LCI as much as I did when I first bought the gun. The LCI takes the guess work out of knowing if there is one in the chamber, or not.

For what it's worth, Greg
    I'm sorry, but that little piece of metal only tells me SOMETHING is causing it to pivot up. Loaded round or empty case? Dirty enough that it didn't fall back down flush with the slide? No thanks. I will always do a visual check of the chamber to tell me if my roscoe is loaded or not

I mostly agree with Ramjet and others like Ayoob on the aspect of modifying carry guns. I know there is a lot of controversy on the issue and little concrete evidence to back up either view. But I don't wish to be a test case so my carry guns are stock. I DO carry an LC9 quite a bit. I like the thinness. I don't like the mag lock so I may switch to a Sig 938 soon.

The thing about modified guns in self defense - if I have to engage someone, after all this care in carrying a stock gun, such an encounter will probably occur when the only handy gun is my Race Gun with a "hair trigger," compensator and reflex sight that's handy! Come visit me in Super Max, I guess.

I have a LC9 and thought about taking out the mag disconnect. To me the trigger pull isn't an issue although it is a tad bit long.

I'm ok with the stock safety and warning systems and finally got the hang of my lc9. Now I'm reasonably accurate with it. An unexpected benefit was I can now pick up a revolver and shoot it well. :-)

To each their own I guess.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregs04.5 View Post
    The LCI takes the guess work out of knowing if there is one in the chamber, or not.
    Gun rule #1: A gun is ALWAYS loaded. Even when it's empty - it's loaded. :D

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Gun rule #1: A gun is ALWAYS loaded. Even when it's empty - it's loaded. :D
    Yes, Of course, good old rule #1 One of the best rules around, no doubt about it, Thanks captain obvious. But just what does that have to do with liking the LCI or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links