SCCY CPX-2 experiences

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 experiences within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my never-ending quest for the 'ultimate' concealed carry handgun I've gone out on a limb and purchased a used SCCY CPX-2. Before I bought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 experiences

SCCY CPX-2 experiences

In my never-ending quest for the 'ultimate' concealed carry handgun I've gone out on a limb and purchased a used SCCY CPX-2. Before I bought it I called the company's headquarters and talked to customer service. Mainly, I wanted to verify that this was a second generation gun and that it was rated for limited +P shooting.

A woman named Danise was very helpful and, after I told her the serial number, she told me not only was the gun +P rated but it also qualified for free upgrades to the trigger and recoil spring assembly. I asked her which slide was the most resistant to rust; the two tone SS or the black nitride. She replied that the nitride seemed to stand up best to Florida's humidity and human perspiration. She said I could also swap out the slide for the black one. Not only did they provide a shipping label to my FFL but assurances that it would be a 7-10 day turnaround, depending on where I was located in the U.S.

So far, so good.

I dry-fired the gun before I bought it and it seemed fine to me.

Those of you who own the second generation CPX's (I know the early first generation guns were a problem), how have you liked them? Reliable with all loads? Accurate? Easy to carry? I have some holsters that I've been using for a Glock 19 --- would they work for the CPX or is the slide so much thinner that I have to start over? What is your favorite carry method?

I'm looking forward to getting the gun back next week and getting it out to the range. If it works well, I might sell the Glock and buy a second CPX. At around $250 for a gun with two magazines, these weapons seem to represent a bargain that is bound to only go up in price (which means I can't really lose any money if I change my mind).

Oh, by the way, my primary CC weapon right now is a S&W 642, which I will probably retain. My wife has a 442 and I love the concept of sharing speed loaders and ammo and holsters.

Any and all input is welcome.
    40Bob likes this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have a CPX2 that I bought brand new. I have about 300 rounds through mine without a single FTF or FTE. It is my only carry weapon because as you can see from my signature line, my other is too big. I use a Smart Carry AIWB or I OC with a little cheapie holster that I can't remember the name of right now.

If I had to buy another gun right now and did not want to spend over $300, the CPX2 would be my one and only choice. I have not had to use their CS but I have heard many stories like yours that they are a pleasure to deal with.

BTW, were you a 95B?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I now have two CPX-1 (this is the same gun with a thumb safety). The last one was first generation and I sent into the factory where they replaced everything for free except the polymer so it retains the same serial number. It took about a week for them to turn it around. I brought it for $180 and this included a kydex holster. The gun makes a perfect carry gun though being small and light it has a decent amount of recoil and is loud. Wish I had a dollar for everyone at the range that has asked me if it was a 45 because of the sound and recoil. Not a good range gun however great for EDC in the hot summers of Texas. Great DAO trigger.
    Saw a website which boasted they shoot guns to self destruction with no cleaning and the one they had 60,000+ rounds when it failed.
    gatorbait51, lionround and 40Bob like this.

I love mine. Never any issues but everything I read and hear says they have top notch customer service, so I'm not worried if something happens. Also I think you wil be hard pressed to find anyone with a new generation say they are anything but a great bang for the buck, pun definately intended.
    lionround likes this.

I've never heard anything good so far as the CPX-1.One gun shop near me stop selling them.That said,i don't remember hearing anything bad about the CPX-2.Next time i buy one,i will give the CPX-2 a look.A friend of mine has the gen 2 and loves it.

I have a cpx 1 and have had some issue with the gun, which was expected by me at least. Sccys customer service is second to none. When I do carry mine I carry it AIWB which it does without a hitch.

OP do not get rid of your glock for another Sccy. The sccy fills the need for a deep conceal gun, but is not, and I repeat is not a fighting pistol. My carry guns will see thousands of rounds, these little sccys will break after hundreds. I have gone thru mine and have replaced the broken parts in the weapon. I only carry it when I am feeling lazy or going up to the corner store.

It might sound like I am railing on the gun I am not. It is a 250 dollar gun, you will get what you pay for....
    StormRhydr and 40Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Thanks everyone.

Harryball, I'll certainly take your advice to heart on the G19. Got the similar words from Massad Ayoob on another forum.
    40Bob likes this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

I am seriously considering a CPX if for nothing else then to try it out. At that price I wouldn't feel bad if I bought it and it didn't work out.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I got one recently (completely based on the love people gave it on this forum) and I've been pleased thus far. I've only been able to put 250 rounds through it so far, so it's a small sample size to judge by.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I bought a BNIB CPX-2 earlier this year.

First trip to the range I had several failure to load, and would not lock slide back on last round on every magazine put through it.

After posting in another thread about SCCY, someone told me to turn the spring 180* in the magazine, I did and of the few rounds i've put through it since then, it has worked fine and locks the slide back ok now.

Other than that, the gun is great, it shoots well, is accurate, handles well, recoil isn't too bad for its size. The trigger is positive and smooth, I didn't care much for the reset, but it is livable with.

I did try the SCCY in a Blackhawk kydex holster I have for a G19, wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I have a CPX-2. Have about 250 rounds thru it so far. No failures of any kind. The more I shoot it the better it - I get with it. Recoil is very manageable and I'm getting used to the trigger. This gun replaced my Nano which had FTE problems and it just didn't fit me very well. The trigger is smoother albeit just as long as the Nano. My Remora Holsters for the Nano are the same for the SCCY so all is good there. $259 out the door shipped to my FFL from Gallery of Guns. Can't beat that.

Cant say it will last thru thousands of rounds yet but with the warranty SCCY has on the CPX2 it's really not something to worry about. I believe it will go bang every time I pull the trigger and it's accurate enough to hit what you are aiming at.

What more could you ask for?

our friend at Military Arms Channel reviewed the SCCY here. Worth watching as it gives some good details on the different models.

SCCY CPX 9mm - YouTube
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    our friend at Military Arms Channel reviewed the SCCY here. Worth watching as it gives some good details on the different models.

SCCY CPX 9mm - YouTube
    Ditto Hickok45 now.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTgFs-m...%3DvTgFs-m59RY
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I bought my CPX-2 brand new and I'd have to lie to be able to say a bad thing about it. It's a breeze to carry and a joy to shoot. I've had absolutely no problems with it and it's ate everything I've fed it. I like it so much, I'll be buying another one while they're still cheap. IMO, it's definitely worth more than what it's priced. Every person I've let shoot it has gone out and bought one for their self.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a few hundred rounds through mine without any problems. I like it. It is smaller and lighter than a Glock 26. I paid $239 for mine BNIB at a local show a few months back. For the price it can not be beat. God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links