How To Make Sure Your Handgun Fits You

This is a discussion on How To Make Sure Your Handgun Fits You within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How To Make Sure Your Handgun Fits You...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: How To Make Sure Your Handgun Fits You

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Gosh, I am so happy and relieved that my G26 which I have carried for a couple years "fits me" just right!

And so sad that my S&W 686 is too big for me. It's a doggone good thing that the 686 never misses because obviously I can't shoot it properly -- I guess it's one of those guns the media talks about that shoots itself.

BUT - thanks for posting the article. I think it could be very helpful to someone who is buying a first gun, or perhaps just buying a different type and comparing various models
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Dang! Just read that 20 mins ago. HA
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

LOP and grip circumference ... the "holy" of holies, with fitment. Absolutely.

Get those right, and most of the rest just falls into place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hmmmm.... I always thought the best way to tell if a gun fits you was too shoot it. If you put bullets in the kill zone when you need and it feels good, then it must work well. Guess Ive been doing it all wrong these years .....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Crap, I thought this was a personality style question.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Respects, but I don't know of any gun shops that will let you shoot a new gun before you buy it to see if it fits. There is the possibility that you could find someone else's gun to shoot before you buy, but most of the time, like shoes, you try 'em on, buy 'em, THEN you'll use 'em, and find out if they really fit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I reckon I got that part down.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Respects, but I don't know of any gun shops that will let you shoot a new gun before you buy it to see if it fits. There is the possibility that you could find someone else's gun to shoot before you buy, but most of the time, like shoes, you try 'em on, buy 'em, THEN you'll use 'em, and find out if they really fit.
    I've only seen a couple of such shops, in which there's an attached range. Or, rental ranges that also sell guns.

But, you're right, that the average shop isn't going to do any such thing. Handling, fine. Shooting? The "rental" fee is $589.50, bub, cash in advance.

Still, basic LOP/fitment isn't that tough to get close, if one can handle it for awhile. Won't be perfect, as it won't be under shooting conditions. But it's much, much better than winging it sight-unseen. And, those "measurements" and alignment checks in the article can basically be done by simply handling it and verifying.
    usmcj and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A reason to buy another gun......

VIP Member
    Well you can bypass all of their suggestions by just getting a Glock. We all know it is perfect for everyone. In fact I don't understand why all the other gun makers don't just close their doors. After all, who needs their ill conceived, poorly fitted guns, when Glock is available.
    bugboy, 6459, wdbailey and 3 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As long as you don't get a glock it should fit just fine...

glock is the apple/mac of the gun world... Its enthusiast get bent out of shape when they are told that other items are just as good and can do the same things that theirs can do every time you press a button... They refuse to accept your facts no matter how you substantiate... When they are proven wrond they immediately run to the "mine never gets a virus" routine which is only true till you tell a hacker that and then yours will end up with a trojan...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    As long as you don't get a glock it should fit just fine...

glock is the apple/mac of the gun world... Its enthusiast get bent out of shape when they are told that other items are just as good and can do the same things that theirs can do every time you press a button... They refuse to accept your facts no matter how you substantiate... When they are proven wrond they immediately run to the "mine never gets a virus" routine which is only true till you tell a hacker that and then yours will end up with a trojan...
    Why do I feel like there my be a few counters to this post... And Away We Go !!!!
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Because they have to tell you why their mac is superior when it fact it is all preference based... watch... they will flock like lemmings to try to prove me wrong and in the process prove my point...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Had to think there for a second...

If the bottom surface of your lower index finger is pressed against the side of the gun, you’re having to reach for the trigger. This means that your grip is too large for your hand size. That matters because as you flex your finger to press the trigger, your index finger will be contacting the side of your gun and gently encouraging it to move off target!
    Fixed: 'This means that the gun grip is too large for your hand size.'

The obvious question is whether or not a shorter trigger, adjustable back straps or slimmer grip panels can be installed.

As someone who handles as many side arms as he can at gun shows, it's imperative to ask whether or not the seller can install smaller back straps before handling, which becomes especially important when handling the S&W 45c. On non-1911 pistols one may want to ask if slim grips are made for it (say on a CZ, SIG, Beretta, Taurus, et. al., metal pistol.) Gen 4 Glocks come with the smaller back strap as default so most of us with small and medium hands can detect a difference. I bet there's plenty of Glock owners who have little space showing between the lower index finger surface and the gun frame.

The fitment guide probably doesn't apply to revolvers since one is supposed to have a high hand hold in the first place. That's why some bob their hammers. And why Glock is now coming with beaver tail grips.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links