New back-up gun. Air-Lite .357

This is a discussion on New back-up gun. Air-Lite .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always carry my HK Compact USP.45 with extra mags every time I can. Sometimes the clothes I wear prevent me from carrying this setup ...

Thread: New back-up gun. Air-Lite .357

New Member Array BiggerIsBetter's Avatar

I always carry my HK Compact USP.45 with extra mags every time I can. Sometimes the clothes I wear prevent me from carrying this setup due to size. So I bought a S&W .357 Hammerless Air-Lite as a back-up when carrying the .45 or in case I can not carry the .45. The gun is awesome to carry, you almost forget it is there. Let me tell you though, if you are plannign on getting one of these and the sale guy tells you "It hurts", he is not kidding. I put 10 rounds through it and my hand hurt for the rest of the day. The lack of weight puts all the recoil right into the web of you hand. It will not be a range gun but I can promise that is a 24/7 gun. 2 thumbs up.

Will try to update with pics later.

Assistant Administrator
    My son got one for his carry earlier this year. With regular .38's it's not too bad but with full loads - bit ''ouchy'' !!

It's in a category I think where shooting comfort has to be sacrificed for the compact light nature of the gun - and practice with .38's or +P but - know where it shoots with heavy loads.

Once that is established and it is reliable then - pray to not have the day when it is needed - tho under duress I am sure we can all light off five big ones and probably not notice any pain!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yes, the 357 mag in this gun is a hand full. get some 38sp ammo for practice, that way you will shoot the gun more.

Yes, an Air Lite is definatly a gun you want to run 38's through when practicing.

Try Corbon DPX in your Air-Lite 357. Their 38+P has the least recoil of any +P I've tried and their 357 has much less recoil for me than the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel. Another option is to load the first 2 with the 38+P and the last 3 with 357. I did that for a while, but now my 340 PD is loaded with 5 DPX 357's. I realize it says not to use less than 120 grain bullets in the 340 (the DPX 38+P's are 110 grain), but Smith & Wesson told me the minimum bullet weight applies only to 357. The DPX 357's are 125 grain.
    coach
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    tho under duress I am sure we can all light off five big ones and probably not notice any pain!
    +1.... Adrenaline is the best "shok buffer" of all....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Sponsored Links