CCG 1911 long term report

This is a discussion on CCG 1911 long term report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; image.jpg It has been over a year now that I have been carrying and shooting the Colt Custom Government model. It is one if not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: CCG 1911 long term report

image.jpg
    It has been over a year now that I have been carrying and shooting the Colt Custom Government model. It is one if not the most prized gun I own. I have debunked a lot of myths while doing so for my own satisfaction. Probably first and foremost, is that it requires intense maintenance to be reliable.
    That's not true at all! I have ran this gun until it was covered in soot and I burnt powder without fail. I'm so confident with it, that after a shooting session of 100 rounds, I'm not concerned with it not functioning.
    Another myth is that it has to be kept well lubed. Many times, in between firings, the light lube I have applied from the previous time is all but dry. But it reliably cycles anyway.

This gun has not fired a factory load. And it eats whatever I feed it. From loads that would make +p look weak, to light target work, and any bullet profile, lead or jacketed or plated, the feed, cycle and, I have yet to find an inaccurate load. Unique is the only powder I have used.

Despite some hot loads, there are no signs of dings or frame flattening. The solid forged frame is very tough.
    I am extremely pleased with the Colt quality, and could not envision settling for less. There is something to be said for good materials.
    The accuracy is excellent. It makes this pistol so versatile.
    Another plus, is the shootability of the piece. I have seen so many people with small hands take to it like a duck to water.
    Whatever they are doing at Colt, they are doing it right. This gun isn't going anywhere, so I will continue the updates. I have now about. 5000 rounds thru it, and am replacing the recoil spring per factory recommendations.
    I'll plan a 10,000 round update, but can't promise that I won't be able to curb my enthusiasm and post on the gun before then:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That sure is a beautiful gun. Through my own experiences, I've found those myths to be just that, myths, as well. Regardless of brand, one thing I always hear about 1911's is that their finnicky about ammo, need constant cleaning and lube. Those just haven't been my experiences at all.

One of these days, I'll be picking up another 1911, so I love threads like this as it gives me something to keep in mind when the time comes for me to make a decision. Thanks for sharing your report and I'm glad it's been nothing but a joy for you.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It's not a .45 unless it has a horse on it.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the great report on a really beautiful gun. From the handsome way it looks in the picture me thinks you are taking better care of it than you might let on.

Except you did say you are following factory recommended replacements, etc. It is great to hear from a person who has a gun that is as reliable and well used as yours!
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

It is a good looking weapon. You said it was a "Colt custom Govt model". Is that an off the shelf gun that Colt sells, but a higher grade gun, or did you do something else special to it?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Well, the only pistol that went down hard at the low light class I took was a 1911...but to be fair, it wasn't a Colt.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    It is a good looking weapon. You said it was a "Colt custom Govt model". Is that an off the shelf gun that Colt sells, but a higher grade gun, or did you do something else special to it?
    It's basically a 1991A1 that has factory installed enhancements that include Novak fiber optic sights, extended safety, extended beavertail with memory pad, slim grips, and a National Match barrel.
    I also have a 1991 A1 standard Government model that is just as good.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Thanks for the great report on a really beautiful gun. From the handsome way it looks in the picture me thinks you are taking better care of it than you might let on.

Except you did say you are following factory recommended replacements, etc. It is great to hear from a person who has a gun that is as reliable and well used as yours!
    You are correct Granny. I just spent a few minutes touching up a place where it was scratched on the end of the slide with some re bluing. I don't mind normal holster wear, and I do use it, but I dinged it yesterday while hunting , and I just can't have that!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well, the only pistol that went down hard at the low light class I took was a 1911...but to be fair, it wasn't a Colt.
    I have had Colts , and a high end that gave me issues. Then I have learned a thing or two.
    Thing one ; Magazines and springs! Even from the factory, the supplier of the company's springs may have a bad batch.
    Thing two; extractors! If it's right, it runs. I have found Colt seems to have them tuned right.
    But I did get bad mags with my first Colt, and they acknowledged that they had issues with one of their spring suppliers and sent me two replacements +1 extra for my trouble.
    gatorbait51, OD* and deadguy like this.

We never really hear about the ones that work, only about the ones that don't. The vast majority work. Glockman, you have a great 1911 there.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    what is "frame flattening" ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Had many throughout my years gave my last two to my oldest sons they love them an shoot them at least once a month. I make all their ammo an thats why they say I shoot better than them, they are always grasping at straws. My youngest an I always beat them at the range. But you just cant beat a colt for downright hard hitting accuracy an beauty. Glad they let you use it as your duty weapon and hope you never have to use it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Extended thumb safety? (I want to see a picture of the other side.) I would have thought it wold be an extended slide release. :D

I have seen so many people with small hands take to it like a duck to water.
    That is a great endorsement. I'm kind of surprised seeing as you have the long trigger on it. Factory sized grips? The pattern looks non-standard. It looks down right nice, actually. The picture doesn't really show if you have a lowered and flared ejection port, or not.

Congrats on your pride and joy!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Love your Colts! The Pony just is... right .. .

It ain't a 0.38 Super sin el Pony, tampoco. :-)

I have to clean the salsa off mine..

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    what is "frame flattening" ?
    I guess I should have said " peening ".
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links