What do you know...buy a Model 10...get a M&P Hand Ejector instead...

This is a discussion on What do you know...buy a Model 10...get a M&P Hand Ejector instead... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Drove into the Twin Cities today to go shooting with a buddy; in the shop attached to the range was a S&W Model 10--so it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What do you know...buy a Model 10...get a M&P Hand Ejector instead...

Drove into the Twin Cities today to go shooting with a buddy; in the shop attached to the range was a S&W Model 10--so it said on the tag.

Nice older model, half-moon front sight, really nice shape. I was told that it was refinished by S&W...but of course, they didn't have any documentation to that effect.

I've been looking for a nice K-frame .38 for a bit, the price was a bit high, but it came with free range rental for two, as well as a free gun rental, and I wanted to give a Sig P227 a go...so, factoring that in, it wasn't too bad.

It's a SHOOTER. My first 12 rounds made a golf-ball sized hole. I was quite pleased with it.

Now, though...it seems it's not a Model 10.

It seems to be a five-screw model M&P from the early 1920's...still doing some research on it. I believe it did make a trip back to S&W at one point, though, as the serial number has a star after it--and research says that S&W would stamp guns that had been repaired in such a manner prior to the 1960's or so.

And here's a (admittedly lousy) pic to keep all of you satisfied, and to say "Uh-HUH! Did SO!"

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Excellent find and a great gun, enjoy.
    OD* likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Take the grip panels off, and you should be looking for a R or maybe numbers and a R on it. I believe it's S&Ws policy to not reblue older guns like yours. I bet it went to Doug Turnbull to be refinished. They do as good a job as the Factory.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Take the grip panels off, and you should be looking for a R or maybe numbers and a R on it. I believe it's S&Ws policy to not reblue older guns like yours. I bet it went to Doug Turnbull to be refinished. They do as good a job as the Factory.
    It did go to S&W, as the serial number has a star--it was worked on in September of 1952.

No "RB" stamp on it, though. It may or may not have been refinished by S&W.

I'm rather enjoying this--I bought it as a shooter, and it's turning out to be a bit of history--kinda.

Oh--and, according to more research (that is, asking on the S&W forum)...it's a "M&P Model of 1905 4th Change", likely from 1920 or 1921, with early post-war stocks.
    pgrass101 likes this.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Smith doesn't make them like that anymore, old time craftsmanship; you did very well.

OD*
    Beautiful old Smith, Cuda, congratulations!

If the work was done in 1952, I'd bet S&W did do the refinish.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Oh boy. What a nice looking pistol. I would put on Tyler T Grips between the frame and the walnut stocks. Ummm ... what a shooter. I would not feel under gunned carrying that sweet piece.

I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Beautiful old Smith, Cuda, congratulations!

If the work was done in 1952, I'd bet S&W did do the refinish.
    Thanks...

According to what I've been told, if S&W did the refinish, it would have a RB stamp near the rework date...and I can't see one.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with it, considering I was really looking for one of the beat-up model 10's that have come on the market again, but they didn't have one...and this one wasn't all that more expensive. I figured "what the heck..."

I have a suspicion that I'll still get a beat up Model 10...I was planning on having my wife try it out, and if she didn't like it, it was going to be my "shop pistol"--that is, be wrapped in an oily rag out in the shop...

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Back in the 70s, I was told by a very knowledgeable old gentleman, "You can't go wrong with a Model 10. They are rock solid, dependable as gravity and the action is olive oil smooth."

He was right,

Congratulations on a great find!!!
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Wow, what a great find and a great gun.

It sounds like you may have done this already but if not it's certainly worth the $50.00 to get a letter from Smith on the date of manufacture, original config, etc. I have one just like it and I absolutely love the gun. Enjoy shooting it, it is a sweet little shooter. Congratulations.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I might add that one of the best things about this forum is what you can learn .... so many on this board have a lot of knowledge and willingly share it. I've learned in this thread alone of the star after the serial number and the RB regarding blueing.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Great find. You can get a hold of S&W and get a history on the gun based on the SN.

Firearm History Request - Smith & Wesson
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good find. Cuda. Got one just like that, and it's a real shooter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think I know the store you're talking about. Nice place, but they do tend to be confusing with their id's - I seem to recall they had a "Charter Arms Detective Special" on the shelf not long ago, when "Undercover" was clearly marked on the barrel...

Anyway, congrats! Love to have one myself.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links