carry questions on new carry pistol?

This is a discussion on carry questions on new carry pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys i'm looking for a new carry pistol and decided to get another glock. I have a g27 and was thinking about getting a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: carry questions on new carry pistol?

carry questions on new carry pistol?

Hey guys i'm looking for a new carry pistol and decided to get another glock. I have a g27 and was thinking about getting a g19. I was told this was a bad idea and I should get a g23 since I already have a g27. I understand why having the same caliber hand gun but I don't believe that I would ever carry both pistols at once so most of the ideas for a same caliber seem a bit far fetched. My question is what do you guys recommend? I Find the 40 a nice shooting caliber with enough knock down for self defense but I also like the idea of a 9mm for a cheaper round, something my wife could shoot and be comfortable with if she ever needed too. If you could not tell im a bit torn by both calibers lol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Oh get the 19! Then when your wife shoots it and decides she really likes it and claims it, you can buy the 23 for yourself. Then when she decides she needs something smaller to carry you can buy her a 26...........that's sort of how it goes...........

You may also have to buy another 19 for yourself............
    ugh762x39, K7lvo, srings and 8 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I have a G19 and a G23. Both excellent weapons. However, I can shoot the 19 at twice the rate (still being accurate) of the 23.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Do yourself a favor and spend $150 -$170 more a get a Sig P239 in 9mm, you will never look back.

If you get the .40 version you could always convert it to 9 mm or even .357 Sig.
    Eric357 and ExGM like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I dont advocate having too many different pistol calibers so if I were you and had a G27 then I would get a G23 to compliment it. However all my Glocks are 9mm and my G19's are the winner amongst them all based on size and conceal-ability. Get the G19 for her. It has just as much 'knock down' power as the .40 caliber and is cheaper to operate.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I currently carry a Gen3 G19 with AmeriGlo pro Idot(s) in a Simply Rugged 'Cuda.

I load it with 135gr +p Critical Duties.

I also have a PX4 storm .40 SC.

It is loaded with Fed's HST's.

The point is, mix up the calibers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

G 19. Thank me later.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Get whatever you like regardless of what anyone says. Variety is the spice of life. While we don't have tons of guns, I like shooting different things. Handgun cal. we have 9mm, 40, 357/38. I enjoy them all.
    multistage likes this.

VIP Member
    If I could only have one out-of-the-box gun for an edc, it would be a Glock 19.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If I could only have one out-of-the-box gun for an edc, it would be a Glock 19.

What he said......

Seriously

Tough to beat a 19. Real tough.

When you ask a question like that on a forum like this, you get a lot of "What you REALLY need is this....." answers.

Get what you want. Kinda like a vehicle. It's all about you. I can tell you that you really can't do much better than a 19. An excellent gun, with no drawbacks that I have found.

By the way, that "knock down" power you mentioned applies to the anemic 9mm as well. With good ammo and, much more importantly, proficient shooting, the 9 will get you home. It has been reborn as serious cartridge. I got 5 of 'em. I went from 40s and 357 SIGs to 9s, 45s, and lately, j frames. I do favor old school.
    Eric357 likes this.

About a hundred years ago, with defensive handguns in .38/.357, 9mm and .45, I declared "no more calibers." Years later, I have many more calibers because I enjoy shooting them all. A side benefit is that in a SHTF situation that results in ammo shortages, I'm not stuck with guns in just one or two calibers. I don't want to over-emphasize that point, but it is a consideration.

I say go get a G19. Full-size and 9mm means it's a pussycat for most shooters, especially some who might be put off by the recoil of the G23. The additional mag capacity is a bonus for home defense use.
    Eric357, glocknjeep and maxwell97 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Get the 23. Then you automaticly have extra, extended mags for your 27. Open end holsters give you holster compatability, of course, that would exist with a 19 also. O.K., here's the kicker.....also, as financses allow, get a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel for your 23 ($100.00 if you shop around), and a coupla 19 mags, and viola, ....you now have a 27,23, and a 19 (23 will convert to 9mm, doesn't work the other way around). I use Lone Wolfs in my 23's, I have a generation 2 and 4, and they both work flawlessly. Additionally, just for s***'s and giggles, if you wanted to, you could stick that same 4" Lone Wolf conversion barrel in your 27, albeit it'll stick out the end, shove one of those 19 mags in the well of that 27, it'll stick out the bottom, and shoot that sucker like that too. It works flawlessly too. I know, I've done it.

I currently carry either the 23 or 27 (in addition to my LCR 357) daily, for my job. I choose which .40 depending on my attire. I am required to carry a .40 at work. Even though I have a 19, I still use the Lone Wolf in my 23, when I feel like shooting 9's.

Just some thoughts.........

Big Steve
    ExGM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Get the 23. Then you automaticly have extra, extended mags for your 27. Open end holsters give you holster compatability, of course, that would exist with a 19 also. O.K., here's the kicker.....also, as financses allow, get a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel for your 23 ($100.00 if you shop around), and a coupla 19 mags, and viola, ....you now have a 27,23, and a 19 (23 will convert to 9mm, doesn't work the other way around). I use Lone Wolfs in my 23's, I have a generation 2 and 4, and they both work flawlessly. Additionally, just for s***'s and giggles, if you wanted to, you could stick that same 4" Lone Wolf conversion barrel in your 27, albeit it'll stick out the end, shove one of those 19 mags in the well of that 27, it'll stick out the bottom, and shoot that sucker like that too. It works flawlessly too. I know, I've done it.

I currently carry either the 23 or 27 (in addition to my LCR 357) daily, for my job. I choose which .40 depending on my attire. I am required to carry a .40 at work. Even though I have a 19, I still use the Lone Wolf in my 23, when I feel like shooting 9's.

Just some thoughts.........

Big Steve
    That's the big advantage of the 23 - it's probably the best "platform" if you want to start swapping calibers. As I recall, you can put a standard Glock 32 barrel in it and shoot .357 Sig, don't even have to change the magazines; or use a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel and G19 magazines for 9. Of course, you can do that stuff with your 27 if you want to.

If you just want a gun and don't want to swap parts, the G19 is a good way to go. There's no question that good 9mm hollowpoints are effective, and a Glock can handle the +P rounds that bring 9mm close to the muzzle energy of .40. Another option in the same size is a 30S, giving you ten rounds of .45 ACP.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links