Big Bore

Big Bore

This is a discussion on Big Bore within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a new baby today. A custom 1911, built for me, from Big Bore Customs. www.bigborecustom.com . I went to a gun show today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore

Talking Big Bore

I got a new baby today. A custom 1911, built for me, from Big Bore Customs. www.bigborecustom.com. I went to a gun show today and sold my (used to be Bumper's) sig 226. I was very happy because I finally had enough in the kitty to get another nighthawk 1911. I love my nighthawk, it is the best 1911 I've ever owned. Outperforms any Wilson Combat produced and so far has been flawless.

So I thought I'd give the second Nighthawk dealer in town a try and that was Big Bore. Little shop with a ton of machinery inside and some diplay cases. Some STI's and Nighthawks on display, then a big case of Big Bores. Come to find out this guy is the sole supplier to the FBI for 1911. It's all they can shoot in 1911. At least that is what he said.

The shop is full of machinery because he makes all his 1911 on site. Beautiful workmanship. Now I grew up in a steel mill and I know what a machine shop should look like. This guy has only the best machinery. He uses all medical grade stainless for each gun and machines each part. He uses bull barrels exclusively, can do any stipling you like or 20 cpi checkering, anything else you want done is totally up to your imagination.

The craftsmanship is by far the best I've ever seen. Can you tell I'm excited? Bumper and I are going to take the Big Bore, Nighthawk and his Kimbers out for a trial tomorrow. I will report back.
    Attached Images

ooo ahhh Need range Report Nice looking gun though .

what kind of guide rod is that Nighthawk? Interesting detail work on teh back portion of the slide. How is the trigger? I have loads of questions but I will wait till you post a range report and some more pics.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk
    I went to a gun show today and sold my (used to be Bumper's) sig 226.
    You dog! I was gonna buy that gun back from you.... You know you are my pawn shop.... :club:

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk
    I got a new baby today. A custom 1911, built for me, from Big Bore Customs.
    Arggg, two custom guns in as many months? I think you may be getting paid too much.... :money:
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

T.F.B. Bumper! Trust Fund Baby!

APachon, I'll post a field strip like the Nighthawk.

Thanks Nighthawk. My Talon order is about done. Still deciding whether to go Gunsite safety or Nighthawk Tactical safety.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Range Report!! You guys ever experienced a nail driver? I put 400 rounds through the Big Bore, and I can't say enough. I'm totally hooked. Recoil is contaiend to a degree I've never experienced. Reaquisition is lightning fast and the action is so fast and soo smooth I'm amazed.

I shot at a range where 2 of the trainers shoot Big Bore and they swear by them. They shot mine and I shot one of theirs that has over 10,000 rounds. I could tell the difference The 10k shot better.

Virgin shot patten was within 2 inches at 20ft. For me this is phenominal. (ask Bumper). Range trainer was clipping his own shot. He gave me a new way to grip and by the end of 6 boxes of shells I was within an inch and the gun was still rocking on. 200 rounds through the nighthawk and I was within 2.5 inches. Still great but the recoil was far more than the Big Bore. Whohoo!!
    Last edited by nighthawk; January 23rd, 2005 at 09:18 PM.

Nighthawk you are killing me. I am still going to get 2 Nighthawk Customs first and then I will consider the Big-Bore.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Don't get me wrong I love my Nighthawk. Never thought I find something better, but I did. I buy another Nighthawk in a heartbeat especially considering a Big Bore cost double a nighthawk, but...
    Last edited by nighthawk; January 23rd, 2005 at 09:17 PM.

bushingless bbl as well???
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Best Bull Barrel I've ever used. I'll get out the micrometer and get some measurements. It is the thickest BBL I've ever seen. Wierd thing is how Big Bore told me to clean the gun.

Said to use use WD-40 to get off off the soot and to use a tooth brush brush for the tough spots. Then take a bore mop with some dish soap to clean out the bore. Like an old black powder. Dry the barrel inside and out and to use only synthetic lube to coat and protect.

Said never to use bore scrubber or Hoppes in the gun. Says the amonia reacts with the soot and creates acids that will shorten the life of any gun. Also said never to brush the bore to get rid of the copper. That the build up is good for the type of bore he uses and in the long run will develop a sweet spot that helps accuracy. I checked this out with the Big Bore trainers at the range and they agreed!! couldn't believe it. They don't brush their bores. Never thought of it that way.

Nighthawk, that cleaning regimen sounds completely crazy. Will you employ that cleaning routine on your non big-bore pistols?
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

I tried it in the nighthawk this evening. Big Bore sells Nighthawk and they said it would make it last and last. So did the Range guys. I'm going to the range again this week I'll let you know if there are any side effects.

Wow. I may have to rethink my cleaning regimen. Thanks for the info. Did this come on printed material or just word of mouth?

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links