Best Defensive Ammo for 1911

This is a discussion on Best Defensive Ammo for 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I am having some difficulty getting hollow points to cycle reliably through my 1911. I know John Browning designed the 1911 to shoot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Best Defensive Ammo for 1911

Best Defensive Ammo for 1911

OK, so I am having some difficulty getting hollow points to cycle reliably through my 1911. I know John Browning designed the 1911 to shoot ball ammo, so I know in a way I am asking my gun to do something it wasn't really designed for, but I figure there has to be some variety of defensive ammo that will work better for 1911s given the number of them out there and the number of people who carry them. I know Remington Golden Sabers do not cycle well in my 1911 (though my Springfield XDS loves them). Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    - Edmund Burke

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    What make of 1911 do you have?
    I have Colt's and Baer's, neither brand is ammo sensitive.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

It is a Taurus PT1911. Not the highest end 1911, but I can drive tacks with it, which is why I like to use it for defense.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    - Edmund Burke

You can spend $200 on different ammo seeing which JHPs will cycle well, or you can take it to a gunsmith who's sharp in 1911s and spend the same money (probably less) on a reliability job. My Springer TRP had a tight chamber, but after some appropriate 'love' bestowed upon it by a good 'smith, this gun will feed empty cases.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It may need some throating work. Polishing of the feed ramp and all that.

My RIA 5" eats anything so far.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Instead of blowing a bunch of money on ammo that may or may not work, heed gasmitty's advice. Get it throated out by a professional. Not a big deal for a competent smith.

Then you keep the gun you like and feed it the ammo you want.

Until then, run hardball. You know it'll cycle, and it makes a nice, big hole. Lots of dead Krauts in Europe would concur, were they able to.

Interesting; Golden Saber has always been a round I knew would work even in a finicky pistol.

I also am interested in knowing what make you have...

And, I will also go with the group and suggest either getting it polished & throated by a competent smith, or sending it back to the manufacturer for the same treatment.

Until then--carry ball.
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Over the years, Remington's JHPs have had a reputation for feeding in guns that were fussy about their diets. Maybe not the absolute best man-stopping round, but never at the back of the pack, either. If you can't afford gunsmith attention, then try some Rem JHPs to see if they feed reliably in your Taurus.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Interesting; Golden Saber has always been a round I knew would work even in a finicky pistol.

I also am interested in knowing what make you have...

And, I will also go with the group and suggest either getting it polished & throated by a competent smith, or sending it back to the manufacturer for the same treatment.

Until then--carry ball.
    I wondered about that myself. GS ammo has a nice, round ogive conducive to silky smooth feeding. If his gun chokes with that, he is certainly in need of a polish job.
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.

I too have a non-expensive, "lower class" 1911, Rock Island, and it's eaten every HP I've fed it and done so reliably. I'd try a different brand or two since so far you only said one brand didn't work. Federal Hydrashok, Federal HST, Critical Defense, and Gold Speer Dots are all good brands I've been able to cycle reliably.

If you still don't have any luck, I'd go with the advice already given.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by docabe View Post
    It is a Taurus PT1911. Not the highest end 1911, but I can drive tacks with it, which is why I like to use it for defense.
    go figure . . .

sell it or trade it in on ah Colt and be happy happy happy
    BritishAgent and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    I've always had good results with Federal HST. You might check with Taurus. Since it has a lifetime warranty, they may be willing to resolve the feed issue for you.
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Whatever ammo functions best in your particular gun, is what I would recommend. The heavier, the better. 200+ gr. bullets, even at subsonic velocities, show no mercy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Federal Premium 'Guard Dog' .45 ACP. - That's what I run in my Springfield. Loads like a ball, hits like a hollow point.

Federal Premium Ammunition - Handgun
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    go figure . . .

sell it or trade it in on ah Colt and be happy happy happy
    I agree... But must remember that people have their own personal reasons for their choices. So, if we can help him make what he has work , then that's what we need to do.

And I concur with the others , who suggested smith work or Remington bullets.

But I suspect it may be something else here , and I'd start with a quality mag, and see what that does, and if it doesn't completely cure it, check the extractor for proper tension .

I just have a difficult time believing that a pistol made today needs throating .

An additional thought....fmj or lead round nose are not bad options at all.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links