Best place in WI to purchase a handgun?

This is a discussion on Best place in WI to purchase a handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in west central WI (not to far from Hudson or Eau Claire), work in northwestern WI, and travel to the Green Bay area ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ramjet

Thread: Best place in WI to purchase a handgun?

I live in west central WI (not to far from Hudson or Eau Claire), work in northwestern WI, and travel to the Green Bay area with some sort of frequency.

I am in the market to upgrade to a smaller gun for CC as right now I have a Sig Arms Pro SP-2340 which even with me as a bigger guy the gun is TOOOO big. I am looking for a good place to purchase a new pistol.

So far the Bersa Thunder 380 with Crimson Trace is catching my eye and it appears that Gander Mountain is the only one selling it. So I am seeing if anyone has any other suggestions on places to purchase. As stated I have looked at Gander Mountain and Cabela's in Green Bay but I might want to do some shooting with different types also.

Any ideas or help?

Look for a good small privately owned Gun shop talk with them see if they can meet your needs and are the type of folks you feel are treating you with respect and treat you like a customer. I much prefer small locally owned Gun Shops some are better than others and some shopping will yield the best ones to do business with. I do almost 100 % of my gun purchases from a small NE Wisconsin Hardware store they are fair with pricing and really want to do what's best for the customer. Customer Service is key to great purchasing experience.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I just sold my SIGpro 2340. Was the first defensive gun I bought, and I bought way too big. Of course I had a specific, identified threat, and wanted something rock solid and combat worthy. It was both of those things, but just too big to be of much other use.

Distinguished Member
    You certainly can't go wrong with a Bersa. I have 3 of them. Save yourself $200 and forget about the crimson trace. Bersa is a natural pointer and very easy to get on target. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

I wouldn't look at anything smaller than a 9mm for self defense. There are many guns in 9mm that are small and easy to carry concealed. Glock 26 or S&W Shield are just two that come to mind right away.

As far as where to buy, like a previous poster stated: find a small reputable dealer you can trust and give them your money. Gander Mountain in GB is a ripoff. Cabela's one can find good deals sometimes but not consistently. These are my personal findings.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jkru View Post
    I live in west central WI (not to far from Hudson or Eau Claire), work in northwestern WI, and travel to the Green Bay area with some sort of frequency.

I am in the market to upgrade to a smaller gun for CC as right now I have a Sig Arms Pro SP-2340 which even with me as a bigger guy the gun is TOOOO big. I am looking for a good place to purchase a new pistol.

So far the Bersa Thunder 380 with Crimson Trace is catching my eye and it appears that Gander Mountain is the only one selling it. So I am seeing if anyone has any other suggestions on places to purchase. As stated I have looked at Gander Mountain and Cabela's in Green Bay but I might want to do some shooting with different types also.

Any ideas or help?
    Funny you should mention the Bersa Thunder 380. I looked one over quite closely this afternoon. Really liked it.
    I shoulda wrote down the numbers. About 600+tax with the Crimson Trace in my favorite town hereabouts. This guy was
    buku knowledgeable and had I the wherewithal that puppy would be resting comfortably here at NONAME Central.

I am up in the Pacific Northwest in the ONLY RED COUNTY north of Seattle. HUA

Dude when I came up here in 1975 10,000 Vets were already up here. And I never left. Ain't planning on leavin' neither.
    Ahhh...crapola. The DLIL and right now NoName Central is Evelynn's in Clearlake 25 years ago.

Sorry y'all with Waylon and Willie going on here it ain't EZ keepin' a clear thought in my head.

I wish I knew how to waltz to pure Country.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    You certainly can't go wrong with a Bersa. I have 3 of them. Save yourself $200 and forget about the crimson trace. Bersa is a natural pointer and very easy to get on target. Good luck.
    Might could be if you're a young man with young eyes. I am 61. I wear bifocals. Wish I didn't but I do and that's just the way of it.
    Crapola. When push comes to shove I wish I had the eyes of a young man. All things being equal I'd prefer a Tarheel gal from south of the Mason Dixon line. A better shooter than me given my propensity for missing the target unless I got 25MT ahh ship........I want Sister calling the shots. I'd follow Sister into Hell Fire.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I would if I could.

Damn. I'm just too like Idaho on a Saturday night. Idaho and Washington are the same things.

Welcome To Mommsen Sport!

Chetek, WI Best prices and service I've found in this area.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Cimino's Gun and Archery's in Merrill used to have some good prices and selection. I haven't been in there for a few years however.

Yea I think they kinda went down hill some. But certainly worth stopping and saying hi. There are many small hardware stores that sell guns and in so many cases they can give great deals and work to get you what you want. Do search in your travels stop in and test the waters with gun shops. Have a list of questions to ask and see how each react you get from one end of the state to other so you can see and stop by allot of shops and see what appeals to you.

Ultimately you have to decide on the gun the way you are treated by the shops will determine where you purchase the gun.

I say to heck with the big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
    Cimino's Gun and Archery's in Merrill used to have some good prices and selection. I haven't been in there for a few years however.
    Ciminos has selection but prices are high. I buy at Fleet Farm as their prices are pretty good. Another place where I purchase guns is a place north of Antigo about 10 miles called "Kramer building supply". He sells any gun for 40$ over his cost. He hands you catalogs with his prices and tell you to pick out what you want. He supplies all of the service weapons for the Milwaukee police dept. No service or repairs but great prices. He sold over 40k guns this year so far.

Sponsored Links