Disappointed with my Bersa.

This is a discussion on Disappointed with my Bersa. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been pretty much been all over the map with pocket guns. I got rid of my Sig 232 a year ago because I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Disappointed with my Bersa.

Distinguished Member

Disappointed with my Bersa.

I have been pretty much been all over the map with pocket guns. I got rid of my Sig 232 a year ago because I decided I wanted to stay with one caliber. However, try as I might, the other 9's were too big or just poorly designed. Sooo, after a year, I decided to go back to a .380 for backup. About ten years ago I had a Bersa Thunder that worked like a dream. Accurate right out of the box. The price was excellent and half of my 232.

Sooo, I purchased the new Combat Bersa (single stack). I admit that the ergonomics and the grip were exceptional. However, to my utter surprise, every mag stove piped on the last round. It was Winchester White Box which has never been a problem. Every one! In addition, the fixed sights were incredibly off. I kept adjusting, adjusting. To get a round somewhat close to the center, I had to drop the sights a good two inches below the target at 25'). Just to make sure, I shot my EDC as well. They were dead on. Going to sell it with less than 50 rounds through it. Worst of all, gotta tell the truth! LOL!!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Why not send it back in for warranty? Like you, I have Bersa's that shoot accurately and reliably all day long.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Ex Member
    I would look at he mags first. THEN send it back.

yup - the stovepipe issue definitely sounds like it's magazine related.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Magazine related issue...Call Bersa, let them know what's ongoing and I bet ya dollars to donuts, they'll send you a new mag.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Just take the magazine apart and clean the inside of it and see what happens. I have two Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro. I have never had a problem of any kind with the first one. The second one is new and had a funny sound when I loaded the magazine and I took it apart and found some kind of redish powder and goo inside it. I cleaned it real good on the inside and no more problems.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Don't sell it. Call Bersa, tell them your problems, take it from there. In all the years I have worked in Gun Shops, I have always herd good things about Bersa Customer Service.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Bersa is cheap but as you know, usually rock steady. I agree with others, do a bit of leg work prior to dumping it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

It has already been mentioned but clean, clean, CLEAN the gun and the magazines. I had the same problem with my wife's Bersa the first few rounds until I took some Gun Scrubber to it. It has run perfectly since.

El see are...Re vol ver

No fuss. No muss. No round after round of testing, proofing, cussing, and worrying. Pull trigger, goes bang. Not much more you can ask for a pocket gun. If you have to, have a tailor deepen a pocket for it. Done.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    El see are...Re vol ver

No fuss. No muss. No round after round of testing, proofing, cussing, and worrying. Pull trigger, goes bang. Not much more you can ask for a pocket gun. If you have to, have a tailor deepen a pocket for it. Done.
    Too funny. But yep, true dat.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Have to agree with the others AZ, give Bersa a call and see what they will do. I've owned 4 Bersa over the years and never had a problem with them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have 3 of them all great shooters and very accurate. Someone gave you good advice, get it fixed. Maybe it just needs breaking in a bit more. 50 rounds isn't very much. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    I would do what others have said, and try to get it to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    El see are...Re vol ver

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Too funny. But yep, true dat.

^This is the camp I am in^^^^^^^^^^

I would rather have 5 .38+p's instead of 6 .380's at my disposal.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Problem with brand new Bersa Thunder .380 - The Firing Line Forums

Clean the **** out of it. Literally. Buy a can of Gun Scrubber, clean the mags first, then spend 1/3 can on the slide and slide internals, 2/3 can on the frame and frame internals. Don't stop until the whole can of is empty (Look for Shellac on the frame.) (Dang, it must be almost impossible to polish the feed ramp... ) 1 drop of oil on every pin pivot (hammer, trigger, mag release) and 2 drops of oil on the slides and you should be good to go. [Yeah, I know you won't use the whole can, especially if it's the larger can, so get the smaller can... ]

Field Stripping the Bersa (Or Firestorm) .380

Yeah, I know that you know the insides of the .380CC - others may enjoy the pictures.

Get three different boxes of ammo - Federal, American Eagle, Blazer, Fiochhi, anything but WWB, TulAmmo or UMC Bronze. Well, not anything...

First Impressions: Thunder .380 COMBAT. Familiar, yet unique.

You got rid of a P232??? That's what I've been looking for. (She's a Classic.) The only thing that stops me is the price. For $550 I can get a PPQ, G19G4, Ruger CMD, CZ, M&P 45c, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links