S&W 629 44 for turkey day

This is a discussion on S&W 629 44 for turkey day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To begin, I know that there isn't a picture, but it did happen. Or at least, its happening. I'm not sure if it was because ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By grouse
  • 2 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By d2jlking
  • 2 Post By pogo2

Thread: S&W 629 44 for turkey day

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

S&W 629 44 for turkey day

To begin, I know that there isn't a picture, but it did happen. Or at least, its happening. I'm not sure if it was because brother Blitz ran into a great 629 deal and it got my gears grinding or maybe it was the wolves that I shared the mountain with in Wyoming this year. It may be the black bears showing up near my farm this month or it may be the great exchanges in the past days on 45LC vs 44 here on the forum. Might be because my dad had one and I never did or it might be that I'd better get one before I'm too damn old to handle it. Maybe I just had a rotten childhood, but I don't remember it that way. I can't say but I got an itch and I'm working on the scratch.

On the way down to see Mom today, as always, I had to stop at Ed's Gun Shop down in Southern Pines. A 4" 629 has been banging rather loudly in my brain pan lately. I went into Ed's today and yep...there it was. Not wanting to blow the Christmas funds I put some holding money down, so its in hock right now. It'll be a few weeks before pics and range report follow. My 44 brass is minimal and my dies are hand me downs but I suspect are just fine.

All the things that come with a new platform.... I gotta get Simply Rugged to crank me out a pancake. Components need to be reviewed and stocked. Which press will pull the duty on this caliber has yet to be determined. This is pretty cool.

The 45 LC would serve my purposes just fine but my research tells me that economics favor the 44 even if you roll your own. And I've got more room to play within specs on the load.

They had an Alaskan under the counter but no, that isn't what I've been thinking about. A Redhawk would have been a serious consideration but they flew the coop a week or so back.

Well I'll post more when I get my mitts on it. Sweet dreams.
    Last edited by svgheartland; November 28th, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Glad ya stopped at the gunshop when ya did! A 4 inch 629 has a place in gunsafe and has had a place in my dreams for to darn long!
    Someday soon I hope.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Thanks for keeping me in mind and congratulations, brother. I suspect, like me, you'll be in heaven with your 629. I'd imagine your 4'' would be a little less forgiving, but still a joy to shoot nonetheless. I'd almost be willing to trade my 6.5'' for a 4'', but I'll hold onto it in hopes that one day SC will become an open carry state.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I followed your deal on that one pretty closely since I'd already gotten the itch. It only made things worse. How's your range report, have you had the opportunity to play with it yet? 6.5"?......hmmm. I could put that in stock too, and quickly. A benefit of this one, and its not even in the safe yet; I buy some and trade some, but some come in and I know they're gonna stay. This is one of those. It'll have it's own seat at the table.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I shot it right after bringing it home, but didn't have time to do a detailed range report or a long session. However, our family will be doing a bunch of shooting tomorrow for Turkey Day and playing a good bit of Battleship (shooting version, not the board game) with my dad, mother, brother in law, and sister. I'll be using the 629 Classic DX for that.

If I get the time to myself, I'll do a (side) report on it tomorrow, if not, I'll do one on Friday. I can tell you this now though, the DA feels like it's SA. The trigger on that wheelie is definitely to be envied.

It's definitely a gun I'll never part with.

Last edited by blitzburgh; November 28th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    d2jlking and scgunlover1 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a 629 5.5" beautiful. Shoots like a dream.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

OH! Wait a minute, you said for Turkey DAY?

When I first read the title I thought you said for turkey HUNTING and I was thinking "he better go fer a head shot or there'll be nuthin' but feathers".

Great piece! Congrats! Wish I had the cash!

629 with 5 inch barrel

I guess 5 inches is a rather odd barrel length for a S&W 629, but I bought this one slightly used about 15 years ago at a gun show. The barrel seems to be a good compromise between 4 and 6 inches, and is the same as the 1911 standard barrel length. The trigger feel on this gun is just about perfect, being typical of the N frame S&W revolvers. If I were facing a black bear with only a handgun, this is the one I would pick.

scgunlover1 and d2jlking like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    ^^Very nice piece!!^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Links