Help me choose first EDC pistol

This is a discussion on Help me choose first EDC pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for recommendations on my first every day carry gun. I currently own a Sig p229 in 9mm for home defense and am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Help me choose first EDC pistol

Help me choose first EDC pistol

I am looking for recommendations on my first every day carry gun. I currently own a Sig p229 in 9mm for home defense and am looking for something a little slimmer/lighter to carry.

I am a some what bigger guy, 6'0, 260 lbs, think heavy set linebacker build, so not sure if I want to carry IWB or OWB.

I recently shot the G26, which I shot pretty well and liked with the pinky extension. What else should I consider? I have held the Springfield XDs, and the M&P Shield. I like how slim both of these are, but favor the round capacity and feel of the G26. Should I also consider a G19 or G23?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Definitely try out the G19 and see how it feels to you. It's definitely a lot lighter than a P229. You might want to try the XDm 9mm and M&P 9c, both are double stack options whose size is roughly between the Glock 26 and 19. That about rounds up the 'super popular' market for compact, relatively lightweight 9mm pistols. Wanting light weight *and* high capacity pretty much means plastic double stack.

If you have time, I'd advise that you go to a gun range that rents guns and try a lot of different stuff.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Glock 19 is the most popular carry pistol in the US and I carry one.

Carrsville, I would ask that you not discount looking at compacts like the Smith & Wesson M&P9C or even the Glock G19. With the right holster, you can successfully conceal guns of that size. There are lots of holster options for compacts and they're easier to shoot well than subcompact. Take a good look and see how they feel. Just my .02. Good hunting...looking's half the fun.
    Tundra5.7 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    First - welcome to the forum.

For your size, the G19 is probably a great carry gun. I carry the 26 but I'm a LOT smaller person than you are. I've also carried much larger guns before I had either a 19 or the 26, but those were very difficult to conceal comfortably.

It is probably also a good idea to try a bunch of different guns before you actually purchase one. You're the one who is going to be using it to protect your life and the lives of those you care about, so it needs to be your own well considered decision.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I carry a J frame or a S&W Shield 9 because I am small and it is what I can hide in the pocket and shoot reliably and fast. You, on the other hand, can hide just about anything (without a total wardrobe overhaul). May I suggest a 1911 pattern .45?

Also--I love my Shield 9, but at heart I am a wheelgunner and just can't get past having to trust the ammo makers for proper function. I've had 1 FTE (Winchester White Box) and 2 missfires (Fiocchi, thinking hard primers from the strike pattern and out of the same box) in about 2500 rounds. in 250 carry rounds (Remington GS--its what I can find in quantity) no failures as of yet.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

A guy your size can easily carry a compact (not sub-compact) without much fuss. Sure, you want to dress around the gun, but remember that few people actually see the gun even when it's carried openly.

Simply from the grip size, in the Glock lineup I favor the G19 or G23, although I find them a bit thick for IWB carry. The Smith & Wesson M&P compact series are also worth a look , if you like plastic guns. If you prefer metal, you might have to look a bit, but the CZ75 compact is definitely worth your attention. A few ounces heavier than the plastic guns, but it's a solid gun and slimmer than the Glocks, but giving up just 1 round in mag capacity.
    maxwell97 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Carrsville, you have a great piece. I EDC a p229 and so does my son. Would'nt have it any other way.
    gatorbait51 and Brady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrsville View Post
    I am looking for recommendations on my first every day carry gun.

I am a some what bigger guy, 6'0, 260 lbs, think heavy set linebacker build, so not sure if I want to carry IWB or OWB.

Much will depend on your specific shape and curves, your wardrobe, and your lifestyle. Shoulder carry might be an option if belt carry isn't your thing. If IWB or OWB is preferable as a concept, only you can decide which will be more suitable.

Myself, I prefer the comfort of OWB but concealment afforded by IWB (over OWB). That's given my wardrobe (ie, no sport coats or jackets worn daily at all times).

At 6ft tall and "linebacker" sized, I would think anything up to and including a 1911 Commander could be concealed, with the right choices in location, holster, belt, wardrobe.

This search tool might help narrow some of the choices: Handgun Database Search @ Genitron.com. You can sort the results by OAL, weight, capacity.

Some highly reliable options: CZ 2075 RAMI; H&K P2000 series; Glock 26 or 19; Bersa Thunder UC Pro; SIG P239.

Some other alternatives: Kahr's pistols (K9, P9, CW9, PM9, CM9); SIG P232 .380.

The Glock 19 is hard to beat, overall. Relatively slim, easy to conceal for a comparatively large pistol. The CZ 75 series (P-01 or PCR) or the H&K P2000 would be a good comparable choice to the G19.

If the 1911 platform is your thing, check Colt's offerings in smaller 1911's. Possibly also the trim choices from STI, either in 1911 or 2011 format.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Try a S&W M&P Compact.

It's about midway between a G26 and G19 in size, and has 12rd capacity, standard.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

There are a hundred different options out there. Visit the shops, hold everything, find a range that rents and try what you can. Glock is good, M&P is as well. Compact or full size in either brand should work for you. Only reason I took M&P over Glock was the grip felt better in the hand. I'm becoming a fan of CZ and probably going to get the P-07 and P-09 as soon as I come across them.

Also, have you considered trying a different holster and belt for your Sig? A good gun belt goes a long way. Throw in the right holster and you can carry that Sig around any not even know it's there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If You Can Read This You Must REALLY Be Bored!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    If you don't have already, get a good gun belt (I like A&G) and holster. I carry my P229 pretty regular with no problem and I'm only 5'9" and heavy.
    Unless you just want a new gun, which I 'TOTALLY' understand.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Like most said I would try the G19, it's a all around carry gun. Welcome from Washington, their a lot of good info here that you can feed off of.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Try a Glock 23
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

So many choices...

Personally, I think it makes sense to have two carry guns: one of compact-ish size (say between a G26 and a G19 in size), and one substantially smaller for times when you may have trouble with concealment - hot weather, exercise, etc. Something in the pocket size range, from a little .380 on the small side to a snub .38 on the big side. Assuming you don't want to drop the money on two guns at once, you might want to consider going on the small side to start, for versatility. Just a thought.

Some candidates on the compact side (going off of extensive reading more than personal experience):
    G19, 23, 26, 27, 30S
    Walther PPQ
    CZ P01, P07
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

On the smaller side:
    S&W 638, 642, Bodyguard .380
    Ruger LCR, LCP
    Sig P238, P938

When in doubt - Hickok45 on YouTube. He shoots just about everything once, and does a good job explaining the pros and cons of the weapons he's showing off. Plus he can hit a gong at 230 yards with a G27.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links