Back to the gen 3 19

This is a discussion on Back to the gen 3 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I Picked up a gen 4 g19 for edc a few months back. I like the way the gun felt and performed but the materials ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Back to the gen 3 19

Back to the gen 3 19

I Picked up a gen 4 g19 for edc a few months back. I like the way the gun felt and performed but the materials used were different than my gen 4 g23 and gen 3 guns. I wasn't used to the frame rails peeling after 50 rounds, and wasn't used to the slide coating being so susceptible to damage. I noticed the slide started to get an orange hue a few days ago and I was just ready to let the gun go & did.

The quality of this few year old Gen 3 I picked up is outstanding, much better than anything I've seen brand new off the shelf lately, I wish I could find a gen 4 built like this, I really do like the feel of the gen 4's
    Ag.jpgBg.jpgCg.JPG
    StormRhydr and rugergunner like this.

2. Remove Ads

G4 Frame rails peeling?
    G4 Slide coating discolouring?

Wish you had taken pictures.
    miller_man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    G4 Frame rails peeling?
    G4 Slide coating discolouring?

Wish you had taken pictures.
    Me too. I have a late production gen4 g19 with just over 300 rounds through it. I am experiencing none of those issues. Hopefully I won't.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

This picture was after the previous owner's (family member) range trip, 50 rounds. By 200 rounds all the frame rails were jagged and peeling; Glock told me it was normal but none of my other glock's had ever done that. fr1.jpgfr2.jpg
    I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the finish. I really don't care what my glocks look like cosmetically as long as they are corrosion resistant. As soon as the orange tint started to appear, all I could think of was rust.

All I want is a glock 19 that will last me the next 10-15 years needing only routine maintenance. I'm more confident that the gen 3 I picked up can better fill that roll.

Someone had a gl19 gen 3 for sale about a month ago.So far so good.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    glad you got a piece that will serve you well
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member
    I would find that much "cosmetic change?" unacceptable. Good reason to keep the old Glocks that have been faithful and reliable for us. Although Gramps seems to like his one Gen4 really well.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Sap03,

I can see why you'd want to change to a version that didn't show those types of problems. My brother has a decade old G19G3 that has been stone cold reliable. Some of the last G3s showed many of the same problems as the G4s - BTFs, specifically. If Glock had told me that that is normal I would have asked, "Since when?"

No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    Me too. I have a late production gen4 g19 with just over 300 rounds through it. I am experiencing none of those issues. Hopefully I won't.

I have a Gen4 G27 with ~3500 rounds and a Gen4 G22 with just over 2000 rounds and both look and work great. My G27 is just starting to show a little holster wear, but I practice drawing an hour or two every week and have taken it to two multi-day courses, so I'm impressed that there isn't more wear.

I've had both pistols for 2+ years now and supposedly both still have the Tenifer coating (they do look slightly different than new Glocks I see today). My frame rails look pretty much like new as well. We have a new Gen4 G19 in a box (Christmas present) so I'll know more about that in a month or so. I'm not expecting problems, but will certainly be disappointed if the new Glock isn't as wonderful as it's siblings.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My Gen 4's have held up well thus far.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    I have a Gen4 G27 with ~3500 rounds and a Gen4 G22 with just over 2000 rounds and both look and work great. My G27 is just starting to show a little holster wear, but I practice drawing an hour or two every week and have taken it to two multi-day courses, so I'm impressed that there isn't more wear.

I've had both pistols for 2+ years now and supposedly both still have the Tenifer coating (they do look slightly different than new Glocks I see today). My frame rails look pretty much like new as well.
    Here are a few pictures - just FYI.

Slide wear.JPGRails - side.jpgRails - top.JPG

Is that gun lube on the rails?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    Is that gun lube on the rails?
    Yes, there is a drop of Frog Lube paste on the rails. I warm them up with a blow dryer and it turns liquid, hardens-up when not in use, and quickly melts again when I'm shooting. This has worked well for me - protects very well, doesn't attract dust and dirt, and has never been a problem.

OP, did you think about contacting Glock CS????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links