S&W Bodyguard advice

S&W Bodyguard advice

This is a discussion on S&W Bodyguard advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi...new to the forum and looking for some advice. I'm real close to purchasing a S&W Bodyguard .380 semi auto for concealed carry. Looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: S&W Bodyguard advice

S&W Bodyguard advice

Hi...new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I'm real close to purchasing a S&W Bodyguard .380 semi auto for concealed carry.

Looking for suggestions for a holster for this gun. Most likely gonna buy either an ankle holster but other advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to a great forum with great people.

I carry mine in a DeSantis inside the waist band model028 . (made in the US)

Not the right person to give advice on an ankle holster they sound like such a good idea and then I buy them and they go in a drawer.

Good luck with the body guard I carry this gun as a back up to my everyday carry Sig P239.

Bill

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    I found the DeSantis Apache ankle holster and the OWB holster for the BG380 (sold on the S&W website) to be great holsters for this little pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

thanks for the info guys. Checked the S&W website....like several of the options there.

Any other opinions?

Desantis nemesis for pocket carry

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I use a leather wallet style holster made by "Hunter". Got it at Cabellas

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Here are my bodyguard holsters that I use based on dress

The desantis sof-tuk. - a tuckable that I wear most often appendix carry
    The desantis pocket holster
    The red dog wallet holster ( favorite(
    Winthrop IWB best at 3:30 -4:30 on my body

A great little pistol.

Go Seahawks!

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    BigCityChief and dsauer22 like this.

I'm liking the Kusiak alot!

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsauer22 View Post
    I'm liking the Kusiak alot!
    Yes - that is a sharp looking holster.

Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Like happypuppy said, I think it would have a lot to do with what you wear. I have a S&W bodyguard .38 and since I like something soft next to my skin (IWB) I took it into Bass Pro and with all the selections I ended up with a very inexpensive (but well made) cloth one with a snap on top to hold it in. The snap was important because I garden a lot and without it the gun would fall out.

Again, it depends on where you want to carry it and what you wear.

The waistband ones are nice, however here in the south it gets too dang hot to wear those.

I did try the ankle one and there were two issues I had with it. One, I'm not that fast to be able to bend down to my ankle and get my gun, I want it right beside my hand for quicker draw. Two, it hurt! Nothing to me comfortable about it.

Hope this helped.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Like happypuppy said, I think it would have a lot to do with what you wear. I have a S&W bodyguard .38 and since I like something soft next to my skin (IWB) I took it into Bass Pro and with all the selections I ended up with a very inexpensive (but well made) cloth one with a snap on top to hold it in. The snap was important because I garden a lot and without it the gun would fall out.

Again, it depends on where you want to carry it and what you wear.

The waistband ones are nice, however here in the south it gets too dang hot to wear those.

I did try the ankle one and there were two issues I had with it. One, I'm not that fast to be able to bend down to my ankle and get my gun, I want it right beside my hand for quicker draw. Two, it hurt! Nothing to me comfortable about it.

Hope this helped.
    If the gun would fall out of the holster if the snap strap is not engaged, the holster is not fit to the gun. That's one of the problems with the "one size fits all" soft fabric holsters. Have you tried a Kydex or leather/kydex hybrid? PLENTY of retention in a holster specifically molded to the specific pistol or revolver by the manufacturer. Give it a shot.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

thanks to all for the opinions. I've never really carried before, so not exactly sure what I'm looking for. that's where your experiences/advice are coming in to play.....to help me decide on what to buy.
    I'm sure I'm gonna have to eventually buy one or two and see which I prefer.....just trying to educate myself a bit and learn from others first.

Quote Originally Posted by dsauer22 View Post
    thanks to all for the opinions. I've never really carried before, so not exactly sure what I'm looking for. that's where your experiences/advice are coming in to play.....to help me decide on what to buy.
    I'm sure I'm gonna have to eventually buy one or two and see which I prefer.....just trying to educate myself a bit and learn from others first.
    Welcome! For a lighter handgun like that, a Remora holster is a good option for inside the waistband. There's no clips, the outside is a rough surface that sticks to fabric very well and holds the holster in place against the clothes. With a good belt it holds very securely. And it's relatively cheap, I think $20-$30.

To learn more about carry methods, and just about every other thing about carry, I strongly recommend the Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob. He goes into detail about the pros and cons of different types of methods and holsters, and though not everyone agrees with him on everything, he's widely regarded as an authority on defensive firearm use.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I think it pays to do some good research before buying a new gun. I was looking at Bodyguards a while back and Gun tests Magazine came out with a comprehensive test on both the revolver and the semi. Both guns failed badly in their tests, got an "F" rating and a "wouldn't buy either" recommendation. You can look up the test on their web site. If you're looking at the revolver, the Ruger LCR is a much better choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links