Anyone ALL about revolvers? (post 'em up)

This is a discussion on Anyone ALL about revolvers? (post 'em up) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All, I admittedly have a propensity for buying/selling/trading guns at a rapid pace...... But, I now find myself with an entirely REVOLVER collection! It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Anyone ALL about revolvers? (post 'em up)

Anyone ALL about revolvers? (post 'em up)

Hey All,
    I admittedly have a propensity for buying/selling/trading guns at a rapid pace......
    But, I now find myself with an entirely REVOLVER collection!
    It's not that I feel that revolvers have any advantage over autoloaders.......they just feel......better in my hand.
    Maybe after my tour in Iraq, where I utilized every "tactical" weapon known to man.....I like the simplicity of the revolver?

Anyone else have a much deeper love for revolver vs auto?

I'm carrying a S&W 66-4 snub:

This 686 is on loan to my father:

with the Ruger Vaquero Sheriff in 45 Colt getting some carry/field duties:

and my Cimarron 1858 in 45 Colt getting range/field duty:

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wheelyfun101 View Post
    I like the simplicity of the revolver?
    Simplicity? Have you ever taken a revolver apart?

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Here's a couple of photos showing my four, they outnumber my autos two to one:

NAA Mini .22, RG .22. Nagant 7.62, Ruger Security Six .357

gatorbait51, wmhawth and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have NO photo skills but heres mine
    My 20 year cc now retired-

My Dan wessons, well mine and my Wifes. 1-.22lr 1-357s and a 44. Have 4 other barrels too

I like revolvers too

I like revolvers very much, and have a number of them. I probably have more semiautos, but have always enjoyed shooting revolvers.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemgb View Post
    Simplicity? Have you ever taken a revolver apart?

You have a very valid point there. The first time I took my sp101 all the way apart I was a little bit concerned. I think he was speaking of the simplicity of its operation.
    wheelyfun101 and gatorbait51 like this.

I do love my revolvers. As I stated before we don't have a lot of guns compared to most on here but until last spring we didn't have a semi-auto centerfire handgun in our house. But for 20 years there has always been some type of .357 in the home.As of right now we are about 50/50. A Taurus 7 shot snubby,3 inch sp101, 5inch gp100, Beretta px4 compact 9mm, sig Mosq 22lr, Sig 229 SAS .40. I'd love to add some more revolvers down the line because I simply love them. That super dupper snubbie thread I have spent a lot of time on in the past just drooling. Then of course there are always Pogo's pictures that make my heart skip a beat.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemgb View Post
    Here's a couple of photos showing my four, they outnumber my autos two to one:

NAA Mini .22, RG .22. Nagant 7.62, Ruger Security Six .357

Nice looking NAMBU. Difficult to tell from the picture, has it been refinished?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm a huge fan of wheelies but unfortunately I only have two right now. Taurus .38special and S&W 629 Classic DX .44mag

uploadfromtaptalk1385737113115.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1385737151931.jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Same sp101 as first photo but dressed up in Hogue.
    wheelyfun101 and gatorbait51 like this.

Love my revolvers.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I can't say that I am "All About" revolvers,but I do have quite a fondness for older Smith & Wessons. Here is a few of my older boat anchors.

4 screw "S" frame .44 Mag or Pre-29, 28-2 "Highway Patrolman", 4 screw .38 "Target Masterpiece"
    Attached Images
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Nice looking NAMBU. Difficult to tell from the picture, has it been refinished?
    Yes, this gun has a sad story. It was a WWII bring back that got into the hands of someone who decided to convert it to .22. I inherited this a few years ago:

The only barrel I could find when I was searching was polished. I bought it since the gun had been destroyed anyway. I have fired it but it has feed issues. I need to do some polishing internally to smooth a few surfaces.

As it is now:
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelyfun101 View Post
    .....I like the simplicity of the revolver...
    The single action revolvers (SA) are fairly simple; few would carry them for personal protection in the urban setting nowadays, though. (Yes, I know the old-timey guys like Elmer Keith and all those 19th century pistoleros were lightning-quick with their SA revolvers, but I'm not. ))

Double action DA) revolvers are actually quite complex little devices, by comparison, and much more difficult for the "average Joe" to disassemble, assemble and tinker with.

The most ingenious semiautomatic pistol designs, usually those with fewer components (e.g. the Glock), are at least as "simple", in terms of moving/rubbing parts and mechanical tolerances, as SA revolvers.

The smaller DA revolvers are eminently "carryable", though, and may serve better than a semiauto for many folks, or in some circumstances, because of their compact form, quite aside from any aesthetic preference for one action-type over the other.

I've had several thoroughly-clean, professionally-tuned DA revolvers "tie up" (cylinder suddenly wouldn't rotate) after shooting a few cylinders-full of heavy magnum loads, especially loads with lead bullets, so I have no illusions about any guaranteed greater reliability of DA revolvers compared to semiautos; OTOH, I've never had a malfunction with any SA revolver, though I own fewer of those than I do DA revolvers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Humani nihil alienum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links