Anybody carry a Sig C3?

This is a discussion on Anybody carry a Sig C3? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been contemplating buy and commander sized 1911 recently, was torn between .45 and 9mm, since my reloader is set up for 9 and since ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anybody carry a Sig C3?

Anybody carry a Sig C3?

I've been contemplating buy and commander sized 1911 recently, was torn between .45 and 9mm, since my reloader is set up for 9 and since I don't shoot as often as I used to wasn't sure I wanted to invest in buying the equipment to reload .45.

Anyway I was out at Cabellas today looking at the selection of 1911's they have a spotted the Sig C3, I saw this on there website but was not even interested until actually seeing it in person, a little while later I walked up and a gentleman had just purchesed said gun, I commented on how it was a nice looking piece, being a nice guy he handed me the pistol to check out, I think I might have drooled on it before I handed it back. Seemed very nice.

I currently carry a shield as my edc in a hybrid iwb holster, I'm 5'9" around 170lbs. anybody close to this size carry a Sig C3?

How well does it shoot compared to a commander size, follow up shots, recoil, etc.?

I don't own any 1911's personally but have several shooting buddies that do, and I love to shoot thiers, matter of fact I think I shoot thiers better than I shoot any of my own guns.

How bout holsters or grips are they hard to find? it had the wood/crimson trace grips on it nice looking just not sure if thats what I'd like.

Sorry so many questions but before I shell out the bucks I try to do enough research on what I'm buying.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I owned the RCS which is the same as the C3 except it had the Sig anti snag treatment done to it. They are a commander slide on a alloy officer frame. It shot and handled well, follow up shots weren't a problem. I didn't notice any difference in it and a commander size gun as far as shooting. As for holsters, any commander holster should fit it and standard officer grips should work as well. Mine had the thin grips, not the crimson trace. I liked the feel of them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the help archer, being somewhat new to the 1911 I wasn't sure if it was an officer size grip or not. I hate buying guns and than having trouble finding holsters and such for them.
    It felt very light and thought it might make a good carry gun, just didn't want to sacrifice shootability with too light of a frame.
    Might have to give this one some serious thought.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have this one and the two magazines that came with it:

It's an alloy officer's size frame with a commander length barrel. Mine was test fired in 2011 based on the dated envelope containing the fired brass. It doesn't have the enlarged ejection port like the newer ones. It has crimson trace grips.

It's been reliable as gravity with everything I've put in it except reloads with Hornady bullets longer than 1.200". Everything else including every factory round has been flawless. I trust it to go bang every time.

The Hornady manual had their XTP bullets specified at 1.23". The C3 won't go into battery with that particular bullet set out that far. Back it up to 1.200 inches it works flawlessly. I field stripped the pistol and dropped the cartridge into the chamber. It wouldn't go all the way in and protruded back past the barrel hood by 0.010". Factory ammo and my other reloads didn't. So I seated the bullet in till it fit, which was at a COAL of 1.205" then seated it an additional 0.005" deeper for reliability. After that I shot the rest of the XTP reloads with no problem at all.

For practice I shoot reloads with either Berry's or Rainier 230g plated round nose. I bought bullets, reloading components, to check it out: Loaded and fired 200 230g Speer GD, 200 200g Speer GD, 100 230g Speer Short Barrel GD, 200 Hornady XTP, and 2,000 Berry's 230g RN. I've only fired 500 of the RN. With the caveat that the Hornady XTP need to be seated to 1.200" COAL, the pistol was flawless with all of them. I ran quite a powder charge spread when velocity testing with the Speer GD ammo and the pistol cycled perfectly over the whole range.

When I carry it instead of the G19, G26, or XDs, I have it loaded with 230g Speer GD. I was able to buy 200 rounds of that. Ran 180, saved the rest for carry. When I get a chance to buy some I'll test it with the 230g Federal HST.

That said: I like the pistol. I like it a lot. I shoot it well enough to carry it, but I'm no where near as good with it on double taps as I am with the glock 26. With the G26 I can routinely draw from cover and put two shots into COM on the IDPA target in just under two seconds. I'm nearly 3/4 of a second slower with the C3 and 1/2 second slower with the G19. Part of that, 1/4 second of it, is the first shot but most of it is the longer split time between shots. The XDs is the slowest of all at nearly a second slower than the G26 all of which is in the split time.

I'm okay with that. The C3 which is 7+1 requires different trigger discipline to avoid wasting ammo on misses. So I don't really shoot double taps with it like I do the 26. The 26 I pull the trigger as fast as I can on double taps, about 1/4 second splits, and it places them pretty close to each other. The C3, for similar accuracy results in split times of 3/4 second or slightly longer.

I carry it a few times a year in the same CBST I use for the G19 and 26. I bought a purpose designed CBST for it but it isn't as comfortable as the other one that's been broken in by thousands of hours of wear. I can hide the C3 anytime I could hide the G19.

It has an external extractor. It's pretty much the same extractor design that SIG has used so successfully on all it's "P" series pistols. I have no problem with it. None. I've not experienced a single FTE nor has it been fussy about ammo other than the one exception noted above, and that had nothing to do with the extractor.

So there is the delimma: Carry the 19 with 15+1 and a spare 15 round magazine, or the C3, which slightly heavier, at 7+1 with a 7 round spare magazine. Most of the time I go for the 19 but that isn't because there is anything 'wrong' with the C3. It's a well made, nicely finished, reliable accurate concealable pistol that I love to shoot. I just don't carry it as often as the G19.

If I lived in NYS, I'd probably carry it or the XDs pretty much all the time. With magazine capacity limits, .45 ACP has more appeal than 9mm. In PA the 19 seems like a better carry gun.

That said, I keep fondeling all steel officer's models at the LGS so maybe one day I'll add a second 1911.

Hope that helps.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; December 1st, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
    blitzburgh and maxwell97 like this.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Fitch, thanks for the indepth run down very informative, nice too know the COAL problems you had I need to jot them in my reloading manual when I get home from work. I own a XDsc also but really don't like to carry it that much, not cause of the weight just because of how chunky it is.

I really like carrying a single stack but I also don't want too small of gun, my wife has a sig p239 and p938 which are both fine guns but I really don't enjoy shooting the p938 for extended sessions, I am a firm believer in shooting what you carry. I want a gun that I can take to the range and shoot steel and IDPA type targets and have it be enjoyable and be able to carry the gun comfortably.

I enjoy shooting the XDsc but really don't enjoy carrying it. I also would like a little longer barrel than 3" on my next firearm purchase.

Forgot to add, I'm 5'-8", 158 lbs. I can hide the C3 in the winter no problem. I don't find it easy to onceal in the summer. In fact that's what I bought the XDs for.

The Commander length barrel is the shortest I'm comfortable with in a 1911. The 3" barrel pistols, the Ultra's or Micros, all have the same grip length as the Officer's model so there's little or no concealment advantage.

The 1911 is a 'flat' pistol where it is between my and my belt. Noticably thinner than the G19 or 26 and just a bit thicker than the XDs which is the thinnest .45 I own at under an inch. The XDs is truly skinny.

The C3 is an aluminum framed gun without a ramped barrel. The feed ramp is anodized aluminum. Don't mess with it or try to polish it. If you break through the anodizing it will not be an improvement and the anodize is too hard to do anything with. I shoot it a few hundred rounds a year, but not nearly as much as the Glocks.

If you want a gun to shoot into the thousands of rounds a year, I'd recommend a steel framed commander or an all steel full size like the Springfield Range Officer (which is likely to be my next 1911 if I buy one), or a real Colt Officer's Model, or some other all steel or ramped barrel alloy framed CCO if you can find one.

I'd also recommend spending some time here 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin in the gunsmithing forum and the individual manufacturer's forums to get a feel for which one's are good, which ones are lemons, and which ones have really good customer support. I did that before I bought the SIG.

The 1911 isn't like other designs. The design is 112 years old. It's from a time when handfitting guns was how it was done. There are a few people who really understand the design and how it works. log_man on the 1911 forum is one of them. Some study combined with looking at 20 or 30 of them in gun stores will give you a pretty good idea of when you have a good one in your hands and when you don't. There are some very simple tests you can run that will give you hints about the one you are holding. I've seen 1911's in the counter that were from the same manufacturer that were quite different. Price isn't a good indicator. I've seen $1,100 Remington R1's with loose lockup and gritty triggers sitting next to their GI model with great lockup and a terrific trigger for $700. When I bought my C3 it was sitting next to a more expensive SIG Scorpion that had a loose gritty trigger and loose lockup with a slide that rattled. My C3 has a crisp break with very little take up. I adjusted the over travel with the screw in the trigger. My C3 has a nearly perfectly fitted barrel. Barrel hood clearance is less than 0.002" but more than 0.001". The shoulder clearance is 0.005" which is about dead solid perfect. With the gun in battery if I press down on the barrel it doesn't make a perceptable movement. The Scorpion next to it moved nearly a 1/16". The Ruger I looked at moved even more than the Scorpion.

The 1911 design was genius good but it's not particularely easy to reproduce on a mass production basis. They can be fussy about magazines. Mine isn't, but some are. Some factory magazines work, some don't, from the same manufacturer. Wilson, Tripp, and Chip seem to be the best candidates. My factory magazines have been flawless so I stuck with them. I'm all for something that works, there aren't any style points on carry guns.

Gotta run.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; December 1st, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    ...was torn between .45 and 9mm, since my reloader is set up for 9 and since I don't shoot as often as I used to wasn't sure I wanted to invest in buying the equipment to reload .45...
    Lemme get this straight. You're shopping for a $1000 pistol. You've already got a reloading setup for 9mm, so you're "torn" about whether to spend $40 for a set of dies and a shell holder???

It goes without saying that you should buy the dies & shell holder, even if you DON'T buy a .45 right now. It'll give you an excuse for buying one later!

In all seriousness:

1) Every gun enthusiast should have a 1911 - in .45 ACP. Whaddaheck is a "9mm 1911" supposed to be, anyway???
    2) The C3 is a great gun. IMHO it's hands-down the best 1911 in it's price range.
    3) The Commander/Officer form factor makes for a great size & balance.
    4) Personally, I don't choose to carry a 1911, but if I did, it would be the C3.
    5) Dunno what Cabelas is asking, but a good (retail) price on a C3 is about $900.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

It goes a little further than just buying dies for me. I have the Dillon xl650, I admit I am lazy, really don't like to have to tinker everytime I change calibers so a set of dies is $63.95, caliber conversion kit $77.95 and quick change kit $107.95 comes out to close to $250, granted I could just buy the dies and caliber conversion kit for roughly $140 it's still much simpler to get your dies set and leave them alone than have to mess with them each time you change calibers.

I'm not opposed to buying a .45 at all, just would be much more convenient for me to buy one in 9mm as I already have 4000 rounds of brass and supplies to reload them all. I used to shoot about 500 rounds a week now I'm lucky if I shoot 200 in a month.

It goes a little further than just buying dies for me. I have the Dillon xl650, I admit I am lazy, really don't like to have to tinker everytime I change calibers so a set of dies is $63.95, caliber conversion kit $77.95 and quick change kit $107.95 comes out to close to $250, granted I could just buy the dies and caliber conversion kit for roughly $140 it's still much simpler to get your dies set and leave them alone than have to mess with them each time you change calibers.

I'm not opposed to buying a .45 at all, just would be much more convenient for me to buy one in 9mm as I already have 4000 rounds of brass and supplies to reload them all. I used to shoot about 500 rounds a week now I'm lucky if I shoot 200 in a month.
    I have a 550B.

I reload 9mmP, .380, .357 Mag/.38Sp., 45ACP on it. I have one powder measure. I have seperate die plates for each cartridge although the .357 and .38SP share the same dies and plate. A change over takes me about 15 minutes including calibrating the powder measure.

Once I get it set up I run 500 or 1,000 rounds and store them in 3 lb. peanut jars. I can reload .4ACP for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of practice ammo at the LGS.

Fitch

Aquaman,

You'll definitely want to look at all the YouTube videos on the C3 and RCS and XSE.

I think it may be best if you compare the C3 Two Tone to the Colt O4860XSE. They weigh about the same, ~27oz w/o mag. What will be different is the grip length, the C3 TT at 4.8" and the XSE at 5.25". That 4.8" may cause the bottom of your pinky to contact the flush mag base. Adding the Wilson Compbat thin base XD mag gives you about an aittional 1/8" of space and makes it easier to slap the mag home.

You may also find that the C3 front stripping to be too aggressive, while the XSE is plain & smooth, like most Commanders. As far as grips go, Alumina thin grips feel well as do Pearce rubber grips. But ultimately it will come down to "balance," how one will feel better balanced in your hand than the other.

Another difference is that the XSE has front slide grooves and the C3 & RCS do not (which, imo, they definitely should - for those who don't trust depressing the external extractor when racking the slide.) For carry the RCS is probably the better option, especially when carried in a lined leather holster.

Yeah, the Colt will go for about an extra $100 than the SIG. But if you don't like the C3 serrated trigger versus the XSE smooth trigger, then you will probably end up changing the C3 trigger. Don't be surprised if engaging the SIG thumb safety feels a little lighter than the XSE; likewise the XSE thumb safety may feel easier to engage because it is slightly longer and thicker. Just little things that changes how one feels better in the hand than the other.

BTW, ATI and RIA, and maybe SA, are now making LW Commanders.

I'll have to check out some youtube videos for sure, not sure about the grip length being an issue, I have fairly small hands. I'm taking it that all the aluminum frames have an aluminum ramp, which kinda scares me, If I decide I really want to put some rounds through this thing maybe I should be looking for a steel framed gun.

Fitch, I agree I probably don't need the powder measure for each caliber but sure makes it nice, just talked to a buddy of mine that shoots competitively and has same reloader as I do, he has a quick change set up already to go and said I could borrow it anytime to load up 1000 rounds or so than just borrow it anytime I need it, doesn't sound like a bad idea.

all the aluminum frames have an aluminum ramp, which kinda scares me
    I've read where a Colt LWC went over 25,000 rounds without incident. The biggest problem was where Chip McCormick mags would gouge aluminium ramps. That has been fixed.

maybe I should be looking for a steel framed gun.
    Then you will end up going from ~27oz. to 36oz. The Ruger CMD is probably the best value at under $600 with a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    I've read where a Colt LWC went over 25,000 rounds without incident. The biggest problem was where Chip McCormick mags would gouge aluminium ramps. That has been fixed.

That definitely sounds reassuring.

Then you will end up going from ~27oz. to 36oz. The Ruger CMD is probably the best value at under $600 with a lifetime warranty.
    Yea I was kinda hoping to stay around that 27oz. if I was going to use it as a carry gun, If I'm going to jump up to 36oz. might as well go on to the gov. size.

I'll have to check out some youtube videos for sure, not sure about the grip length being an issue, I have fairly small hands. I'm taking it that all the aluminum frames have an aluminum ramp, which kinda scares me, If I decide I really want to put some rounds through this thing maybe I should be looking for a steel framed gun.

Fitch, I agree I probably don't need the powder measure for each caliber but sure makes it nice, just talked to a buddy of mine that shoots competitively and has same reloader as I do, he has a quick change set up already to go and said I could borrow it anytime to load up 1000 rounds or so than just borrow it anytime I need it, doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    You can switch the powder measure and adjust it faster than you can go get the stuff from your buddy.

I hate borrowing or loaning stuff. Especially when it isn't a one time deal. It gets old quickly.

I think you will enjoy shooting .45ACP pistols. The recoil is more managable for me than the .40 S&W.

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I think you will enjoy shooting .45ACP pistols. The recoil is more managable for me than the .40 S&W.

Fitch
    Oh I really enjoy shooting .45acp 1911's I have shot several, and your right I definitely shoot them better than a .40 also. I have several friends that shoot 1911's mostly .45s but one shoots a Brazo's custom 2011 in .38 super, which is his competition gun, boy that thing is sweet, but I'm not dropping 7 grand on a pistol, but to each his own.

The reloading aspect of it is probably a non issue in the grand scheme of things, I would end up buying the supplies anyway, my biggest concern is how light is it and will it work as a carry gun and can I shoot the thing on a regular bases with out worrying about wearing it out.

Is a bushing barrel that much better than say a bull barrel or is a ramped barrel vs an non ramped barrel an issue? these are the things I really need to be reading up on, guess I got more homework to do yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links