Affordable compact/mouse guns -- review article

This is a discussion on Affordable compact/mouse guns -- review article within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Affordable Self-Defense: Quick Looks At Some Solid Concealed Carry Handguns @ American Handgunner magazine. Some good info, for folks looking for affordable compact guns for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Affordable compact/mouse guns -- review article

Affordable compact/mouse guns -- review article

Affordable Self-Defense: Quick Looks At Some Solid Concealed Carry Handguns @ American Handgunner magazine.

Some good info, for folks looking for affordable compact guns for self-defense.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 30th, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: title adjustment
    NickBurkhardt and StormRhydr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Pretty good article.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

The writer's editor should be fired for not doing his/her job. I'm not talking about the guns in the review, but rather the quality of the writing and numerous mispellings (although I do question the inclusion of Cobra and Charter .38 revolvers at the expense of a J Frame S&W).

I never do the "grammar police" thing on forums and Lord knows I'm guilty of mistakes when transferring my brain to keyboard strokes, but I'm not being paid to do it correctly. Credibililty on content suffers when something is poorly written.

Maybe I need to go back to sleep...
    Last edited by Camjr; November 30th, 2013 at 01:40 PM.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Gotta co-sign with Camjr on this. The spelling and grammatical errors make this load of bollocks almost unreadable. And that raises credibility questions.

Also, there are 9mm choices in this category, but the writer went with mainly .380 and .357 magnum. That's weird.

Then, there's the mix of high-quality firearms with Saturday Night Specials. So, thumbs down on this roundup. Badly written, poorly conceived.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I'm the last person to complain about anyones spelling and grammar. I do take exception.... well maybe better I dont understand the author intent. He writes about the "mouse-gun" My understanding of a mouse gun is one of lesser caliber. While .380 might be considered a mouse gun ... no... nope... .380 is not a mouse gun. .380, .38, .357 Maybe thats another conversation. I cant see the artical as serious as it leave's out numerous manufactures, and examples. It dont consider the used market as being a reasonably priced alternative.
    blitzburgh likes this.

$500 - beer budget. You can get whole bunch of quality guns in that range including full size. He should've lowered his target to about $325 and below.
    blitzburgh and StormRhydr like this.

VIP Member
    I've never seen a mouse carrying a .380/.38/.357, and I've seen my share of mice in my days!

Seriously though, I consider a mouse gun something in the sub to sub-sub compact size chambered in .32 or below.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Mouse gun,,,,, Ruger LCR .357 Mag. from
    that 2 inch barrel ,,,,, the muzzle blast would
    kill most mice
    ,,,, he must have some big RATS.
    45ACP4ever likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    The writer's editor should be fired for not doing his/her job. I'm not alking about the guns in the review, but rather the quality of the writing and numerous mispellings (although I do question the inclusion of Cobra and Charter .38 revolvers at the expense of a J Frame S&W).

I never do the "grammar police" thing on forums and Lord knows I'm guilty of mistakes when transferring my brain to keyboard strokes, but I'm not being paid to do it correctly. Credibililty on content suffers when something is poorly written.

Maybe I need to go back to sleep...
    I thought I was going to be the only one who said something. I'm surprised this "writer" even has a job. On top of what you mentioned, he was also extremely repetitive. The only reason I read the entire article was to comment on this thread. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have been able to make it past the Charter Arms.

Anyways, for the most part I agree those are all good choices (though not all are what I'd consider mouse guns) and I'm particularly interested in the NAA Guardian. I really like the looks of that gun.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I am getting confused on terminology nowadays. It seems as if there is no common use of terms anymore. What exactly is the definition of "mouse gun"? There is so much inconsistent information being released, it is no wonder old folks, such as myself, get confused. Full sized, compact, sub-compact, pocket pistol, mouse gun, etc. all seem to have different meanings when it comes to firearm discussion.

As far as the article is concerned, there is a great deal of information. There could be some improvements in writing skills. IMHO. This author is not unlike many others today. He writes just to be noticed. I could be wrong on this, but it seems to be the norm in today's media.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

How can an article on "Affordable "mouse" guns" exclude the P3AT and the LCP???
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    I am getting confused on terminology nowadays. It seems as if there is no common use of terms anymore. What exactly is the definition of "mouse gun"?...
    I'm with you on this!

A "mouse gun", IMHO, is the smallest of the small. Traditionally, a .22, .25, or .32, but nowadays the micro-.380's would qualify. That's as big as a "mouse gun" gets!

But a .357 snubbie??? No way!
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    The writer's editor should be fired for not doing his/her job. I'm not alking about the guns in the review, but rather the quality of the writing and numerous mispellings...
    It's "misspellings".
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    This is the first time I've ever heard of any .357 Magnum referred to as a mouse gun.

Jim
    blitzburgh and Betty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    This is the first time I've ever heard of any .357 Magnum referred to as a mouse gun.

Jim
    Since Chernobyl mice have mutated.
    Eric357 and Secret Spuk like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links