Replacing Kahr CW9 with S&W Shield

This is a discussion on Replacing Kahr CW9 with S&W Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a month ago, I picked u a Kahr CW9 for CCW. I really like almost everything about the little pistol and after 200 rounds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Replacing Kahr CW9 with S&W Shield

About a month ago, I picked u a Kahr CW9 for CCW. I really like almost everything about the little pistol and after 200 rounds fired it has never had a stoppage. After yesterday's range session, I decided to replace it with a S&W Shield. After giving it and me, what I consider a fair try, I just came to the conclusion that I didn't want to live with the trigger. It isn't a bad trigger by any means, but it is quite different from every other pistol I own.

For anyone considering a Kahr, just be aware, the trigger release to fire the gun is almost all the way back but the reset is very far forward. With me, this would mean re-teaching myself to operate the trigger quickly when performing rapid fire. This and the small size made it a challenge for me because I have large size hands and it got very cramped when manipulating the trigger. Just understand, the guns requires a lot of trigger movement compared to other popular striker-fired pistols on the market. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just different. For my previous post on the subject, see here:

Kahr Shooters...How Do You do It?

The other deal breaker, is the magazine feed lips are sharp. Yesterday, I put 100 rds through it using 3 magazines and it actually cut my finger. I know there are fixes like smoothing the edges or using a mag loader, but in light of my feelings on the trigger, it just wasn't worth it to me.

If you are thinking about a CW9, aside from what I mentioned above, I have no complaints. My CW9 is accurate with good ergonomics and has been 100% reliable with ball ammo ( never got to try HPs). I can also rack the slide or use the slide stop to chamber a round with no problems. The pistol is of course, thin and concealable as well. Sights are decent, but if I were to keep it I would get the night sights from Kahr.

So, like many here, my search for the "best" CCW pistol continues with the S&W Shield being next up.

Shield is way better.
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    Shield is way better.
    We'll see...I doubt it can be way better...but I'm hoping the trigger is a better fit for me.
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    Shield is way better.
    Opinion. The CW9 is a pretty darn good gun for a really good price. The Kahr trigger isn't for everyone (obviously), but I think it's the smoothest trigger I have ever felt and I'm a fan.

Having said that, I really like the Shield...
    bkenut and JMB like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Once you make the change you will never look back. They are so close in size you may not even notice the difference.

BUT . . . you will be much happy happy happier with the Shield!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I guess I'm to old to understand new shooter and striker only shooters. I can shoot any trigger well if its smooth. Just takes a couple mags of ammo sometime to get use to a difference trigger pull . All I need is smooth. Now your issue with "sharp mags" Some 150grit sand paper or finger nail fill and about 30 seconds and the feeds lip can be made rounded and smooth. But most of use with time learn to buy a Uplula loader.

maglula, Ltd. > Pistol Mag Loaders > UpLULA? - 9mm to 45ACP mags

Old season fingers hurt to with many rounds shoved into most any mag. The trigger pull to me is just a head game , its a light trigger to pull you just like a stricker trigger. Don't buy 1911 with a nice single action trigger or you maystart to think a striker trigger to long and just awfull.

Now try not to become one of the many rabid complainer / whinner and go on and have fun with your shield. Its a good pistol too.
    Eric357 likes this.

VIP Member
    Good luck with the switch. I really like my dad's Kahr...nice shooting gun. But at the end of the day, my Shield is the right EDC for me. It spits out whatever I feed it. Good luck!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

The big problem withy the shield these days ..? Trying to find spare mags. They are like gold

The only way I can shoot long pull trigger handguns is like a revolver. Use the first finger joint. Then I can shoot a kahr fine

Lighten Up Francis.
    Rxdoc likes this.

I had a cm9 and I now carry a shield 9mm .... I liked the cm9 but the shield is much better in every way to my needs. Good luck I doubt you will have an issue with the shield

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I had a cm9 and I now carry a shield 9mm .... I liked the cm9 but the shield is much better in every way to my needs. Good luck I doubt you will have an issue with the shield

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs

I'm the opposite here. I went from a Shield to a Kahr CM9. To me the trigger on the Kahr is much better. Good to have a bunch of different choices!
    Eric357, GentlemanJim and Rxdoc like this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    I'm the opposite here. I went from a Shield to a Kahr CM9. To me the trigger on the Kahr is much better. Good to have a bunch of different choices!
    My complaint with the cm9 was the amount of recoil. I found it to be very squirrelly in my hand. The trigger was even if it was long and it carried easily. I just find the shield more suitable for my needs

”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I guess I'm to old to understand new shooter and striker only shooters. I can shoot any trigger well if its smooth. Just takes a couple mags of ammo sometime to get use to a difference trigger pull . All I need is smooth. Now your issue with "sharp mags" Some 150grit sand paper or finger nail fill and about 30 seconds and the feeds lip can be made rounded and smooth. But most of use with time learn to buy a Uplula loader.

maglula, Ltd. > Pistol Mag Loaders > UpLULA? - 9mm to 45ACP mags

Old season fingers hurt to with many rounds shoved into most any mag. The trigger pull to me is just a head game , its a light trigger to pull you just like a stricker trigger. Don't buy 1911 with a nice single action trigger or you maystart to think a striker trigger to long and just awfull.

Now try not to become one of the many rabid complainer / whinner and go on and have fun with your shield. Its a good pistol too.
    If this reply is to me, you are making a lot of wrong assumptions...

To attempt to simplify...the long Kahr trigger combined with the gun's small size doesn't work for me.

VIP Member
    Brother's wife has a Shield, and everyone in the family likes it.
    Don't know anything about the Kahr.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I picked the shield (in 9) over the CW45...I really didn't mind the way the trigger felt, but the fit and finish didn't seem to be on par with the shield. To me the CM9 just seemed too small...and I never thought that would be possible. I'd still like to try a CW45, and for 349 I don't suppose it would be too much of an experiment.

That being said I really don't care much for my shields trigger. I think Santa is going to bring me an Apex kit, I've already polished the trigger bar and that made it feel better but it's still pretty stiff.

First thing you have to do with any S&W is to check for a gritty trigger. If it's not there's a fix and then it becomes a keeper. So long as you can live with the trigger feel.
    bkenut likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links