1911 vs Glock; What's the real difference?

This is a discussion on 1911 vs Glock; What's the real difference? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For all practical purposes, none. I put together some loads this morning and went out this afternoon to shoot the two against each other just ...

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree554Likes

Thread: 1911 vs Glock; What's the real difference?

For all practical purposes, none. I put together some loads this morning and went out this afternoon to shoot the two against each other just to see.

One thing I did, that might have skewed the results some, is I changed my point of aim with the 1911 after seeing I was hitting low. The sun was getting low, and almost directly behind the target.

I shot from the 15 yard and 25 yard line. The top targets are 15 yards, the bottom are 25, all off hand.
    Here's the targetimage.jpg
    Here's the results
    image.jpg
    I believe the Colt has an edge on accuracy, but either will do superbly for carry or field.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    C'mon, how are we going to have another Glock vs 1911 thread if you are going to get all objective on us?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

1911 hurts more when you slap um upside the head

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    C'mon, how are we going to have another Glock vs 1911 thread if you are going to get all objective on us?
    I know it, right? But ya know, there it is. It seems that they are pretty close, and I think it just comes down to what you like.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    1911 hurts more when you slap um upside the head
    Unless you get the yuppy " melt job ". Personally I like the edges sharp.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I do believe my Kimber CDP has just been "dissed"...

Not to worry, 2 out of 3 1911s here have sharp edges!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have trained with and carried both 1911's and Glocks I now carry the Glock (G19) when I carry an automatic. I like the weight size reliability and capacity. This is simply my preference. If I was in a situation requiring a handgun and "only" had my 1911 would I be naked before my enemies? Only if they broke in while I was in the shower.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    last i checked Glocks have rounded edges.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I like both and I'm carrying a Colt DE as I type. If I knew I were going into harms way there is no way I'd not choose the Glock simply for the capacity to weigh ratio.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    last i checked Glocks have rounded edges.
    We weren't talking about Glocks.
    gatorbait51, OD* and Bstock87 like this.

VIP Member
    Well I just put the popcorn away......

I have both and carry the 45.
    To each his/her own.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Ok, here is the deal between Glock and most 1911 handguns.

A 1911 is quality, in most brands, and is built way better. They are also more accurate.

Glock is built cheap but works most of the time.

I trained in the US Army to teach others how to shoot a 1911 and I still carry one. For several years I had to carry a Glock and there is no comparison. Glock is built to sell cheap so more can afford them. Glock also is being buried with Wrongful Injury suits ad well as some marketing suits.

Personal experience: Thursday was a week ago, I carried a preacher with me to the range. He had bought a new Glock model 22 and had never fired a handgun but shot lots of rifles and shotguns. I let him go to the range with me so he could shoot his new Glock. The man was all over the place with the Glock, even at slow fire. I let him use my 1911 and he started out shooting 3 shot groups measuring less than 3 inches at 25 feet. I shot his Glock and it shot as it should but was not nearly as accurate as my 1911. We swapped back and he was still all over the place with his rounds.

A 1911 is also a much safer gun with it's three tier safety design.

Please do not get me wrong, Glock builds a gun that does very well. They bought their popularity and it was very effective advertising ploys. Yet they are not a precision made handgun. There are other platforms that are much better.

I own some Glocks but I do not shoot them often.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

A 1911 is quality, in most brands, and is built way better. They are also more accurate.

I trained in the US Army to teach others how to shoot a 1911 and I still carry one. For several years I had to carry a Glock and there is no comparison. Glock is built to sell cheap so more can afford them. Glock also is being buried with Wrongful Injury suits ad well as some marketing suits.

Personal experience: Thursday was a week ago, I carried a preacher with me to the range. He had bought a new Glock model 22 and had never fired a handgun but shot lots of rifles and shotguns. I let him go to the range with me so he could shoot his new Glock. The man was all over the place with the Glock, even at slow fire. I let him use my 1911 and he started out shooting 3 shot groups measuring less than 3 inches at 25 feet. I shot his Glock and it shot as it should but was not nearly as accurate as my 1911. We swapped back and he was still all over the place with his rounds.

Please do not get me wrong, Glock builds a gun that does very well. They bought their popularity and it was very effective advertising ploys. Yet they are not a precision made handgun. There are other platforms that are much better.

While I prefer the 1911, refer back to my target pics. Your story a about the Glock inaccuracy just doesn't have legs.
    gatorbait51, Bad Bob, OD* and 6 others like this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

Did you show your preacher friend how to stage a Glock trigger and familiarize him with trigger finger placement on the trigger safety lever ?

In many years of training LEO's , range scores went up when they were issued and trained on Glocks.

As far as accuracy goes Glocks will shoot better then the vast majority of shooters can shoot them.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Links