Choice of Semi-Automatic Pistol

This is a discussion on Choice of Semi-Automatic Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a revolver guy for years, but have decided to buy a semi-automatic. My criteria are the following: (1) Because I live in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Semi-Automatic Pistol

I have been a revolver guy for years, but have decided to buy a semi-automatic. My criteria are the following: (1) Because I live in Florida and wear a Tee shirt most of the time, ease of concealment is very important; (2) Dependability since I will be betting my life that it will go bang when I pull the trigger; (3) Accuracy; (4) Safety features; and (4) As low recoil as possible.

I am considering the following in 9mm: Glock 26, XD 9 subcompact, S & W M&P Compact.

I asked this question previously but, frankly, before I had explored it sufficiently.

I am also open to other suggestions that meet my criteria.

Thanks.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have been a revolver guy for years, but have decided to buy a semi-automatic. My criteria are the following: (1) Because I live in Florida and wear a Tee shirt most of the time, ease of concealment is very important; (2) Dependability since I will be betting my life that it will go bang when I pull the trigger; (3) Accuracy; (4) Safety features; and (4) As low recoil as possible.

I am considering the following in 9mm: Glock 26, XD 9 subcompact, S & W M&P Compact.

I asked this question previously but, frankly, before I had explored it sufficiently.

I am also open to other suggestions that meet my criteria.

Thanks.

Ron
    You might want to consider the Sig 239 DAK in 9mm. The DAK trigger system in addition to being nice and slick and smooth, especially for a DAO, eliminates the decocking step which under the stress of a shooting can be overlooked and is not a good thing. If you prefer a larger caliber, the .40 is a nice, manageable option for this pistol. Being a single-stack 8+1 in 9mm and 7+1 in. 40, concealability is enhanced at the expense of some capacity. Go to SIGforum or Google and do a search and let us know what you find out!

For the hot, humid climates of Florida may I suggest a S&W 6906
    9m/m auto? Great firearms, and usually can be found at fairly good
    prices~!

BTW, its a compact version of the S&W 5906.

A HK P2000 Subcompact is similar in size to the other ones you listed, and would meet your criteria.

XD 9 all the way. I tried the glock 26 and IMO it has too much recoil for a 9mm. It actually hurt my fingers. Glock fans, yes, I tried every grip and stance immaginable with no improvement.

I personally like the saftey features of the XD and they are extremely accurate. The sight alignment is what I enjoy best, because the grip and angle of the barrel conform naturally to the curvature of your hands. As soon as you bring it up the sights are in alignment with little adjustment. Can't do that with a glock.

The new XD's also have a more durable finish similar to the glock which prevents corrosion problems (you'll be needing that where you live).

Don't know much about the S&W, but I'm sure it's a great gun.

Glocks are good, but XD's just have too many more features
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

oh yea, as far as reliability..XD's are just as reliable as glocks. Never had a misfeed or malfunction with either of mine.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Interesting, the recommendations are polar opposites to the two you mentioned. Have you shot Glock, or an M&P? Assuming that you have, and/or that you are entirely comfortable with the lighter trigger and "booger-hook-as-safety" concepts, either should be fine.

I have not handled the new M&P, but re the Glock:
    1)Get some steel sights; you'll be happier in the long run.
    2)When replacing the sights, degrease the slide and spray it with DuraCoat (about $20 for a spray can). DuraCoat air dries, with full-cure in about 7 days. Do this(on top of the Tenifer and Parkerizing), and you can be as negligent in moisture exposure as you wish.

If you can do basic mechanical work, you can work on your own Glock. In FL, I'd suggest a kydex holster, as leather does retain moisture- but it may cause you discomfort with a "sweat-patch".
    I like Glock because for about $40 you can have all the spare parts you'll ever need, they are all plug-n-play, and every single part is available to non-armorers. More of a "Big Deal" to some than others.

Relatively cheap, easy to maintain, simple to operate, goes bang every time. Hard to argue with.

I would suggest seeing if a local range rents, and shoot with each semi that you are considering. I did this, and settled on the Springfield XD Sub Compact, which is my primary carry weapon. It's always a good idea to "try before you buy", especially when you're talking several hundred dollars worth of pistol. As a US Senator once said, "A million here and a million there, and pretty soon you're talking serious money".
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I'm the owner of three XDs including two subcompacts. I highly recommend them.

I come from revolver centric thinking too. The kinds of revolvers I would like to carry are hard to carry, if that makes any sense.

You have to figure out what it is about that platform and then boil it down to what elements are necessary for effective personal protection.

I went with the XD and it has worked out very well for me. It replicates the reliability and essentially the same draw and fire operation the revolver offers, and much like a revolver it's always the same. Granted you are losing some of the revolver's abilities, but I find the flat square profile is just SOOO much easier to conceal, plus it's lighter.

The fact there's no active controls means all you really have to learn is malfunction drills and reloads. Take any basic pistol course and they will get that straightened out, and dryfire manipulation will fix it too. I'm even to the point I'm trying with a pistol that has an external safety, which is as alien as you can get from the wheelgun.

I still don't like some of the limitations of a bottom feeder but I've come to think of it this way: the revolver is the general purpose handgun, my XD is a special purpose handgun.

I don't think any of those choices are bad, get whatever one you think feels best. I have an XD9SC which has a definite place in my layers of defense. The bad part is, it's really not a subcompact it's more like an XD9 Service chopped down at the barrel and the grip. If the Glock didn't feel so awkward and point funny I'd have one. The M&P compact is an interesting choice because I understand it's more compact than the XD9SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala Dan View Post
    For the hot, humid climates of Florida may I suggest a S&W 6906
    9m/m auto? Great firearms, and usually can be found at fairly good
    prices~!

BTW, its a compact version of the S&W 5906.
    I use a 6946 as my primary carry all year round. Great gun and feels right in my hand. This is very important that the gun feels right, not to heavy and no rust.

Any of the 3 you listed would work. Glock grip angles dont feel right to me. XD or MP compact would be my choice of the 3.

If you need even smaller, Look into a Kel-tec P3AT or PF9 or P11 in a parked or hard chromed version.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

With the "mini-guns" I agree on doing some renting and shooting.

For me neither the XD or the current Glock 26 feel that good to me. My last Glock 26 I filed down the lower ridge of the finger groove on the frame. After that it was A-OK.

VIP Member
    I could have written this thread, so I'm just watching the replies....I looked at some Auto's today and the guy told me the Glocks just didnt fit his hand.......

I love my XD 9mm sc.

Although I don't have one, I have shot Glocks and XD's and the subcompact XD is a sweet gun (I shot the .40 version). Both are great guns!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links