first pistol for concealed carry

This is a discussion on first pistol for concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been researching my first pistol for concealed carry. My first thought was an external safety, subcompact 9mm. The only gun I've owned in the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: first pistol for concealed carry

first pistol for concealed carry

I've been researching my first pistol for concealed carry.
    My first thought was an external safety, subcompact 9mm.
    The only gun I've owned in the last 40 years is a 22l single action revolver and definitely like the no-lag trigger. I'm not in love with the long trigger travel on the pistols I've tried recently (lc9, sccy-1)

I'm not committed to an external safety but definitely would want a more responsive, shorter travel trigger. I've heard there are companies out there that have trigger kits for the ruger, but I think I could be getting too complicated with mods and all.

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune for a weapon that will get 99% range action and hopefully no live action.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glock 19. If that is too large, M&P9c.
    cthruit and zonker1986 like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I have a FS 40 and a 40c both with thumb safety. Love them both, no regrets, about thumb safety. Just practice/drill with them as part of your range, or dry fire time. (after triple check for a clear weapon)
    We are not that far apart distance wise.
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c

I'm thinking under 20 ounces

I'm out, although the 40c is just over 21 plus mag.
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c

Some sort of Sig would make a nice choice... as would something like a Springfield Armory XDs... Smith and Wesson have a good thing going with their M&P series...

You might want to go to a range where you can test fire several different pistols to decide what you like...
    deadsexy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    glock 23
    Marc1103 likes this.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Looks like so far you have only used DAO (double action only) Pistols and that is probably why you dont like the "long trigger pull" Try something that is SA/DA and i bet you like that alot more. Sig's are SA/DA and they have a "de cocker" so you may want to try one of those.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

I would suggest a 5 shot, 17 oz .357Mag revolver under $400. (with a strip clip or two for extra ammo).

If you are stuck on a semi, I'd go with a S&W M&P Shield, it comes with external safety in 9mm or .40 + 2 mags under $400. at 19.0 ounces and is only 0.95 inches thick for very easy concealment. It has no squared corners that easily print.

Good Luck and be sure to get some 'advanced training'.
    marcclarke and Trigg603 like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    I dig my S&W Shield 9mm, big time. It's my EDC. But there are a ton of great firearms out there. But I don't think you can go wrong with the Shield. You can even get it in 40 cal and buy a 9mm conversion barrel and have two guns in one...FTW!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Short light trigger without a thumb safety? Sounds like a Glock to me.

Personally I don't feel the 2 things go together. I like safety-less with double action triggers, and I like single action triggers or striker fire triggers with a safety. But no safety plus light short trigger together I'm not a fan of.

But...everyone is different. Tons of people like Glocks, and if it weren't for the safety-less short trigger pull I'd probably own Glocks too...great guns for a great price (for the quality) that will run forever and always work, have great capacity, and pretty much every other great feature you'd ever want. So if you're OK with those two things together, going Glock would be a hard decision to regret. Just get a good safe high quality holster and make sure to not get complacent about that nice light trigger while reholstering :)

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Check out HK USP. They have 10 variations, and the quality is unequaled. It depends on what you call spending a fortune. HK's aren't cheap, but they are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    I've been researching my first pistol for concealed carry.
    My first thought was an external safety, subcompact 9mm.
    The only gun I've owned in the last 40 years is a 22l single action revolver and definitely like the no-lag trigger. I'm not in love with the long trigger travel on the pistols I've tried recently (lc9, sccy-1)

I'm not committed to an external safety but definitely would want a more responsive, shorter travel trigger. I've heard there are companies out there that have trigger kits for the ruger, but I think I could be getting too complicated with mods and all.

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune for a weapon that will get 99% range action and hopefully no live action.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    I'm thinking under 20 ounces
    Anything under 20 oz. probably isn't going to get much range action. Those mouse guns in defensive calibers are by and large unpleasant to put large numbers of rounds through.
    flintlock62 and Trigg603 like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I agree. If one wants 20 oz or less, get a 25 caliber mouse gun, worthless, but light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Anything under 20 oz. probably isn't going to get much range action. Those mouse guns in defensive calibers are by and large unpleasant to put large numbers of rounds through.

The Ruger SR9C & SR40C (Just a hair over 23oz) trigger is a gem right out of box (Nothing like the LC's at all) Besides the SR's i have seen priced under $400.00
    fcretired, larlev and Ghost1958 like this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links