Springfield emp 9mm

This is a discussion on Springfield emp 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys anyone own a Springfield emp in 9mm I own and carry full size 1911's and want a smaller 1911 for carry if you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Springfield emp 9mm

Springfield emp 9mm

Hey guys anyone own a Springfield emp in 9mm I own and carry full size 1911's and want a smaller 1911 for carry if you own one how do like it also any other suggestions welcome thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Yep. I own one in 9mm. Excellent gun. Great to shoot and great to carry. It's unfortunately my wife's favorite gun so my time shooting it has gotten less.

It is very well made and shoots extremely accurate. Can't go wrong especially if your a 1911 fan.

image.jpg

It's the one in the middle.
    gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I have a Colt Defender .45 1911 in SS 3 in bbl & 22oz (my favorite), and a Sig 1911 .45 Ultra 3.25 bbl & 25.3 oz:
    Sig & Colt 3in 1911 45s.jpg

They are pure perfection, but have $1k+ into each.
    gatorbait51, Bad Bob and bigpapa like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I once had a SA 1911. Ever since I traded it off, I have wanted an EMP. It is nice and heavy, and feels good in my hand. The only thing that has kept me from getting one has been the price tag. $1,500 is just a little too far out of my comfort zone.

Good luck getting one, and I'll just sit here in quiet envy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

This is how I carry my Colt Defender 1911 (under 0.99 in thick, except I don't tuck my shirt in:

def clip.jpg

It attaches under the grip (ambidextrous) and I walk with a cane, so I don't need super-retention.
    They make them for many sidearms and different attachments, even for Glocks. Here: http://www.clipdraw.com/
    bigpapa and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.

Another option may be the Sig P938. I absolutely love mine. Very easy to conceal with either the 6 round magazine or the extended grip 7 rounder. It shoots like a much larger pistol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I owned a EMP in 9MM. It was a great shooter and very accurate. The only problem I had with it was that I was unable to eject live rounds when I wanted to unload the gun. The round would get caught between the ejector and the barrel. To get the round out I would have to hold the slide back and push down on the round and let it fall down the mag well. Other than that it functioned with any ammo I shot through it.

The live round getting caught and the weight are why I stopped carrying it. I ended up trading it because I didn't carry it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    This is how I carry my Colt Defender 1911 (under 0.99 in thick, except I don't tuck my shirt in:

def clip.jpg

It attaches under the grip (ambidextrous) and I walk with a cane, so I don't need super-retention.
    They make them for many sidearms and different attachments, even for Glocks. Here: Clipdraw? For Secure Carry Without a Holster
    With so many makers of "ultra-thin" varieties of Kydex, I don't see why anyone would prefer a method that doesn't a) secure pistol terribly well and b) doesn't cover the trigger.

I realize an ND is very difficult with a 1911 style pistol due to all of the safeties, but I still would be worried about an exposed trigger.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've owned an 9mm emp for several years.
    It's one beautiful pistol.
    It had some problems with ftf & fte initially.
    I sent it in...and it came back working like a custom 1911.
    (btw, Springfield's CS is excellent.)
    Not a single issue through thousands of rounds since.
    I shoot it better than any of my other pistols.
    For me the only negatives are... its price and the night sights are hard for my aging eyes to pick up.
    I highly recommend the emp for those looking for a down-sized 1911.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

The Colt Defender comes in 9mm and weighs much less than the EMP, is more reliable, from what I've seen, and costs $500. less.

Colt Defender .45acp.jpg

It is also less than 0.98 inches thick. 1911 type semis are better for the more experienced as those new to shooting under extreme stress are better off with a "KODAK" type, point & shoot sidearm.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Hey if you like the Colt, fine, but..... 25oz versus 26oz (both from company sites) is not MUCH less. The Colt is .25 inches longer and you have the goofy thick rubber grips on the Colt. My EMP took a trip back to Springfield on their dime, was back in just 7 days, and has run flawlessly since. My favorite pistol for shooting bar none.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

my EMP was purchased aprox. 14 months ago ,, traded a Kimber Solo in plus some $$ for the EMP

a little heavy , IMO , compared to my other EDC ( Sig P938 ) but a treat to shoot ..

the EMP has run flawless from day one , put on a set of Esmarelda custom grips and it is one of my favorites ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

This gun intrigues me and most of what I read it is reliable and accurate. I would love to add one day to my stable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Three trips back to SA to fix problems. First time- firing pin stuck in FP hole. De-burred and polished then sent back. Second time- light primer strikes and failure to fire. Barrel link replaced. Third time, FP stuck in hole so far that it would not chamber a round. Slide replaced and set back. I have yet to get it to the range to test. My faith in SA is waning, although I have their XD40 and 1911-A1 which have never had a malfunction. I suppose you get a lemon once in a while. I'll give it another chance.

EMP in 9mm shoot great, very accurate , function well, etc. No complaints really.

Now, when I first got it ... it failed to cycle right, failing to eject the round, and failing to feed the next one as a result. Occurred every round. Not a problem... called SA and sent it to them one Friday, and had it back the next Friday. Make sure you have a problem and have to send it in ...... what I got back was .... a totally reworked and smoothed out gun..... it was like a 'whole new gun' and operated much smoother, etc. It also shot fine and worked fine. Then I ran into only one other problem..... when I fed any 'wide mouth open ' 147 gr hollowpoints, every few rounds one would hang up. It became obvious what it was.... this particular wide and more open HP round.... and the steeper feed ramp... didn't work well. The edge of the bullet would catch on the bottom of the feed ramp when loading.... and hang up.

Tried other HP type rounds .... like the Hydra-shok, Critical Defense, etc. and it does not have that problem at all ... they all shoot fine. Just the wide mouthed 147 grain HP type of ammo had the problem. So, I just don't use it.

Anyway, since I got it back from Springfield... it's been one of the smoothest guns I've ever had, is very accurate, and really fun to shoot... and have had no problems other than that 147 gr HP ammo with the wide mouth.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links