which finish??? Melonite QPQ or NP3 Robar

This is a discussion on which finish??? Melonite QPQ or NP3 Robar within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am looking at having a 1911 refinished. The two options I am looking at are Melonite QPQ from Coal Creek and NP3 from ...

Thread: which finish??? Melonite QPQ or NP3 Robar

which finish??? Melonite QPQ or NP3 Robar

Ok, I am looking at having a 1911 refinished. The two options I am looking at are Melonite QPQ from Coal Creek and NP3 from Robar. Yes, I realize that one is a grey finish and the other is a black finish and I also realize that one is a treatment while the other is plating. I settled on these two because they are both immersion processes and will get the “nooks and crannies” inside like the firing pin channel. This is very important to me because this is more for corrosion protection than cosmetics and my biggest concern is what I cannot see. I can see the outside of the slide and frame and if anything begins to show I can address it, but those little places inside that cannot be seen during a field stripping are the ones that I am concerned about.

Anybody have any feedback on either of these two finishes? My concerns are primarily corrosion resistance, but durability is also important.

Thanks,
    Tim……….

2. Remove Ads

I know nothing of the qpq coating but robar has a most excellent rep and holds up very well

I like my hard chrome from Tripp but I realize it is not for everyone.

I had NP3 put on the the frame/innards of one gun in 1999. It is very slippery stuff, a free trigger job and minimal lubrication is needed. Shot it a couple of years and I thought it was wearing too fast, but a Robar guy looked at it and told me it was just polishing and was still present on the metal. He also offered to re-finish it if I didn't like it. I just bought an M&P with S&W's breed of Melonite. I don't have but 600 rounds through the gun and have NO idea how it will wear, but it is what I call "light eating black." I mean capital BLACK. If CCA can do it as good as Smith and it lasts worth a darn, they get my next re-do for the color alone. OTOH, seems like the IPSC guys that run thousand upon thousand of rounds through their guns all prefer hard chrome, as ltc-usa suggested.
    I've cleaned a few FP channels...haven't seen any with rust inside. Luckily, the carbon gunk the guys let collect in them protects them from rust.....wouldn't recommend it as a finish, though ;)
    What Would Gumby Do?

I had a beretta 96 in Robbies NP3, the mags were also treated.
    It was a wonderful finish that you could rough house with. If I had the funds, I would highly consider the para getting the NP3.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

My HS2000 in NP3:

Just a little bit of polish/wear on the top of the chamber from a rough spot I gouged in my holster, but other than that, it's great.

Links