Got the wifes new EDC today.

This is a discussion on Got the wifes new EDC today. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a few of you know my wife has open carried for quite a while now home and out. She jumped the KY CCDW to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Got the wifes new EDC today.

Got the wifes new EDC today.

As a few of you know my wife has open carried for quite a while now home and out. She jumped the KY CCDW to conceal broom stick about a month and a half ago so I figure in a little bit longer it will be here

She had carried a 38 snub for a little while. Wasnt comfortable with only 5 rounds so she carried a few guns of our sons and mine until she landed on the Ruger SR9, really liked it, carried that for a good while now. She could cc it fine but I thought maybe something a little more compact with some heavy backup mag in order so today I went and traded a pistol of mine for ..... a new SR9c.

No pic but im sure everyone knows the pistol or can see a pic on the net. 10 or 17rd mags +1, smaller than the SR9 easy to conceal but not so much so that its a mouse gun. Not an unknown quantity to either of us as we have both shot a friends quite a bit and I carried one I borrowed for a bout a month cc.

Brought it home, out the box, broke it down, cleaned and lubed it, shot the heck out of it with 124 gr nato and then 115 fmj no hickups flawless out of the box.

Though for a brand new gun it was pretty dirty inside with quite a bit of powder residue. The other Rugers Ive bought were dripping in factory lube inside but pretty clean. This one was dry as a bone and dirty. Know the guy who sold it to me and trust him. All the sealed stuff in the box was still sealed and the numbers match so its a new gun and I was puzzled.

Until I saw an email from Ruger that they fire at LEAST a mag of ammo through each firearm. And then clean the bore etc and ship with the test cartridge. I figure dirty ammo and someone forgot to clean the striker channel out. Barrell was clean but frame and striker channel were powdered up some.

Anyway thing works great, shoots great just like its big bro the SR9 has.

So now I guess shes took the SR9C with her 9mm derringer belly backup pocket gun and im packing the SR9.
    Aceoky, Kennydale and manolito like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice of you to clean it and fire all those "test rounds" for her.................LOL

When does she get to actually use it??????
    Ghost1958, Aceoky and BurgerBoy like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Nice! Well done. I've been darned tempted by those myself. I especially like that Ruger figured out to include a 17-round magazine and a grip extension in the box. Nice looking, too, as polymer autos go.
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

you brought it home.....you cleaned it.....you put the first bunch of rounds through it.....and its your wife's gun?

she is gonna beat the snot out of you.

Had one myself for a while, but my ex-wife liked it better and took it as payment for nursing services after I had surgery last summer. Great shooting gun and not sure how Ruger got that grip so thin with a double stack mag.
    jenatron and Ghost1958 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Nice of you to clean it and fire all those "test rounds" for her.................LOL

When does she get to actually use it??????
    LOL she has the flu or some bug right now so she didnt feel like getting outside. Shes not new to the game just to cc vs oc so she honestly wanted me to go ahead and shake it down for her so she knows she can depend on it when im not here. If not Id be carrying it until shed gotten well enough to put it thru its paces herself before she trusted it here at the house alone.

Shes ready to go train about anytime theres a chance but she took that bug a couple days ago so I did the shake down on it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Nice! Well done. I've been darned tempted by those myself. I especially like that Ruger figured out to include a 17-round magazine and a grip extension in the box. Nice looking, too, as polymer autos go.
    Yep. Just dont make the mistake two i know did. Didnt read the manual and assumed.

You can dry fire a SR series gun to your hearts content but you have to have an empty mag in it. Otherwise you can damage the striker.

Saw one go back because of that after a while. Owners fault but Ruger fixed anyway.

Apparently a lot of folks dont know that that really should. One of my wifes CCDW instructors, an LEO, was checking their pistols. I sat in on the class in the back just because I could. He kept dry firing her SR9 without a mag in it not sure why. When I finally told him the deal he didnt know the gun had a mag disconnect or that it needed the mag in it to dry fire. It snaps without a mag like it would fire but it wont.

At the range they set up he came over to me as my wife went to the line and sort of looked apprehensive. I told him dont worry she can pass this with her eyes closed.

At her first shot he grinned a little and said " I wasnt worrying about her not passing. I was worrying about having to buy her a new gun out of my pocket if it didnt shoot"
    Aceoky and maxwell97 like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Yep. Just dont make the mistake two i know did. Didnt read the manual and assumed.
    i was taught: when all else fails, consult the manual.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    LOL yeah I was taught the same way. Only reason I did on the first SR9 was id never had a semi auto with a mag disconnect before. On the first dry fire it didnt act like what I heard cuz with the mag out you see the striker come back and snap forward just like its going to fire. But in a function check outside it didnt fire.

Sooooo being the mental cripple I am a vague "Wonder what the striker is hitting to stop it with the mag out?" Got the manual and there it was. With a warning label about damage or id have probably dry fired it till it wouldnt shoot either LOL.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    Yeah, I was taught that as well, pretty much in those terms.

Trouble is, when stuff has failed makes one realize that consulting the manual should have occurred a bit earlier.

Funny how such half measures in our early training can come back to bite ya, sometimes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nice choice. My wife has been learning to shoot with a rented Walther P22 from the range we go to. She has been searching for a gun of her own and is head over heels in love with a PURPLE Ruger SR22. I'm wanting to move her up to 9mm, but she has her heart set on the dang purple monstrosity. I'm just happy she's taken to shooting. When we first got together she was scared to death of guns.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Great little pistols. The SR series from Ruger have to be one of the best feeling pistols, "in the hand", that I have handled IMO.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    Ok, you bought it for her, you cleaned it, you tested it. Now clean it again and get all your finger prints off her gun. Go play with your own toys!
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    LOL she has the flu or some bug right now so she didnt feel like getting outside. Shes not new to the game just to cc vs oc so she honestly wanted me to go ahead and shake it down for her so she knows she can depend on it when im not here. If not Id be carrying it until shed gotten well enough to put it thru its paces herself before she trusted it here at the house alone.

Shes ready to go train about anytime theres a chance but she took that bug a couple days ago so I did the shake down on it.
    Poor Ghost! We all got on you for the wrong reason. What you did was very nice. Gramps would have done that for me also under the same circumstances.

Hope wifey is A-OK very soon and can enjoy her new gun.
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Bringing home the flu bug the lengths one will go to shoot the new gun first........tisk tisk tisk

I hope she feels better soon and reclaims what is rightfully hers.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Passing on her thanks for the well wishes as she requested. She seems to be a little better. Id say give her a few more days and she will be out pumping ammo thru it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links