Kahr CW9 accuracy improvement

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 accuracy improvement within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks, I'm new to concealed carry. I got my CHL in Texas over the summer and I've been carrying a Kahr CW9. I took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Kahr CW9 accuracy improvement

Hey folks,

I'm new to concealed carry. I got my CHL in Texas over the summer and I've been carrying a Kahr CW9. I took my Kahr and my Glock 19 to the range yesterday and noticed easily that I'm still MUCH more accurate with the Glock.

My CW9 is completely stock and I'm wondering if there are any suggestions on how to modify the gun, or train differently, to increase my accuracy.

Thanks!

My best suggestion is to get some snap caps and do some dry fire practice with the Kahr. The triggers between the G19 and the Kahr are vastly different so there will naturally be a period of adjustment. Unless your Tangle. He can pretty much shoot anything on the planet accurately just by smiling at it.
    zonker1986, sensei2 and SIXTO like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Practice

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by LividGoat View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm new to concealed carry. I got my CHL in Texas over the summer and I've been carrying a Kahr CW9. I took my Kahr and my Glock 19 to the range yesterday and noticed easily that I'm still MUCH more accurate with the Glock.

My CW9 is completely stock and I'm wondering if there are any suggestions on how to modify the gun, or train differently, to increase my accuracy.

Thanks!
    Having just dealt with the Kahr CW9, see here:

Replacing Kahr CW9 with S&W Shield

My recommendation, is park all your other pistols and dedicate yourself to nothing but the Kahr for the time being. IME, the pistol is as accurate as most others so it's just a matter of learning the trigger.

Can you describe the type shooting you have been doing for practice?
    Bad Bob, zonker1986 and Stevew like this.

VIP Member
    Practice with snap caps. Make sure your using a good steady pull all the way through it. Try setting a penny on the top of the slide, while practicing. If you are dropping the penny, figure out if it is during the pull or after the trigger breaks. Then practice until you can consistently pull the trigger without dropping the coin.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I got my CHL in Texas over the summer and I've been carrying a Kahr CW9. I took my Kahr and my Glock 19 to the range yesterday and noticed easily that I'm still MUCH more accurate with the Glock.
    How much actual practice time you do have on each platform, shooting at the range?

How much actual dry-fire exercises to you have on each platform, and how frequently do you do dry-fire with them?

As folks have suggested, the two are fairly different and how you deal with the trigger will vary between the two until you've identified the differences and made adjustments. The balance differences between the two platforms vary a bit, as well.

I've shot both extensively, and have had a CW9 for a time. For me, the G19 is significantly more balanced and (overall) more accurate while shooting, as compared to the CW9. Trigger-wise, I've always been much more consistent and "correct" in my technique with the G19 over the CW9. But that's just me. I've seen some folks be highly accurate with the CW9. But I've found the differences in the trigger to be significant enough that I see it in my accuracy.

Ditto on the snap-caps idea, boosting your dry-fire time with the guns.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Your comparing very different pistols. Longer sight radius, more weight and because of the extra weight a softer shooting pistol. Different trigger designs. Practice dry firing and leave the glock at home on the next couple trips to the range. If you still have the stock striker spring in the kahr you also have a heavier trigger. Change to a wolf RP striker spring can help a bit too. Try'n to master to very different trigger is not easy to do. You may never be as good with the kahr be you should be happy with your groups with time behind the trigger.

I know when we take a several pistols to the range I finish with my kahrs shooting up my carry ammo. Man those first couple rounds fired after shooting a 2 and 3lb single action triggers or even a 3 1/2lb stricker make for some bad bullet placement for a mag full. Looks more like a buck shot pattern. One more mag or two and it looks like a group again. Hang in there and work with the kahr .
    sensei2 likes this.

another thing to remember: you're not in a bullseye competition here. 5" groups at 25' should be quite accurate enough for 99% of likely SD scenarios. as for that remaining 1% - practice. i can shoot 3" groups at 25' with my Kahr CM-9, and my Kahr is smaller than yours.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I'm a new Kahr owner myself and just finished the break in recommended by Kahr on my CM9. After shooting 250 rounds through the CM9, I was pleasantly surprised at how much tighter the groups became from my Glock 27 and 30. IMO, it was concentrating on fundamentals and mechanics with the Kahr that helped the shooting on the Glocks. So, keep practicing but don't just rattle off rounds...take your time and focus on each shot.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

One thing I'd look at is the ammo. At my last CW9 practice session, 115 gr "Value Packs" from Wal-mart shot patterns, not groups, at 11 yards. That frustrated me until I burned up some old carry ammo, and kept most shots inside of 2 inches.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks for the advice. What brand would be better than Winchester white box for practicing?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Thanks for the advice. What brand would be better than Winchester white box for practicing?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I have had good luck with Remington UMC, Speer Lawman, and cheap Federal. FWIW, I have also fed my CM9 Prvi Partizan and Tula BrassMax without any hiccups as well.
    LividGoat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Tundra , sounds like your a natural for wittle pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Tundra , sounds like your a natural for wittle pistols.
    I was not very accurate with the Shield or the XDs.....at least I felt that way in my mind. The LC9, Nano, and CM9 do much better for me.
    Last edited by Tundra5.7; December 5th, 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Just takes a lot of practice. My cw9 was the first dao I ever shot and it takes getting used to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links