Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 for $329 Shipped?? Anyone have one?

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 for $329 Shipped?? Anyone have one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it's not a Colt or Springfield or SIG, but $329 shipped seems like a great deal for a 1911. What gives-is this thing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 for $329 Shipped?? Anyone have one?

Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 for $329 Shipped?? Anyone have one?

I know it's not a Colt or Springfield or SIG, but $329 shipped seems like a great deal for a 1911. What gives-is this thing junk? From what I have heard on this forum and others is that they are not a bad pistol. Did anyone buy one of these at this price? If so what do you think of it?

Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 - $329 shipped @ Bud's Gun Shop | Slickguns
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I saw that too and I'm also curious. I've only heard good things about RIA. You can't change too much on a GI model though can you?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I ordered the tactical version at $359 before it sold out, has not shipped yet. These pistols have a pretty solid reputation and seem like a great buy at this price.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    This price has been tempting me the last couple days. Seems to me it would be hard to go wrong at that price.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    I know it's not a Colt or Springfield or SIG, but $329 shipped seems like a great deal for a 1911. What gives-is this thing junk? From what I have heard on this forum and others is that they are not a bad pistol. Did anyone buy one of these at this price? If so what do you think of it?

Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 - $329 shipped @ Bud's Gun Shop | Slickguns
    They're pretty good guns , you'll like one if you get one. RIA has fantastic customer service, too .
    blitzburgh and OD* like this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    If I had $329 I'd be all over that like a hound dog on a T-Bone. You can spend about $70 on a buff and fluff and have a damn fine weapon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm not a 1911 expert by any means, but I was reading about RI a while back. Guess it's in the Phillipines? I didn't read anything bad.

My belief on foreign 1911's is that they're inexpensive because the market for 1911's is disproportionately interested in "made in the USA," and the well-known foreign makers like Sig and HK don't care to try for that market (at least I've necer heard of them making 1911's). So only less-well-known makers give it a shot. Certainly doesn't mean they're bad guns.

Edit: oh, I guess Sig does make 1911's. Oops. Well, basic point still goes - inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean bad, often just lesser-known.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Cool

I've NEVER heard anything sideways about RIA guns. RIA in my view is one of the solid gun makers. $329 shipped sounds like one heck of a deal to me. Only bad thing is with my arthritis this model would feel like an anchor+how in heck does an old fart like me pocket carry a 1911??? Man oh man this 1911 is a better deal than the Bersa 380 I looked at last week.
    -----------
    I just checked a couple things. On the Buds Gun Shop site these same 1911s are selling for $498 shipped. I did see they are imports but saw nothing that said they're made in the PI. $329 beats the heck outta $498 for sure.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I've NEVER heard anything sideways about RIA guns. RIA in my view is one of the solid gun makers. $329 shipped sounds like one heck of a deal to me. Only bad thing is with my arthritis this model would feel like an anchor+how in heck does an old fart like me pocket carry a 1911??? Man oh man this 1911 is a better deal than the Bersa 380 I looked at last week.
    Bigger pockets, man, bigger pockets
    ugh762x39 and 357and40 like this.

VIP Member
    I had a RIA several years ago. I had a lemon, which is rare. They busted their tails to make it right though, and they did get it to 100%. Me being me I just never felt comfortable with the thing and I don't keep guns that I don't trust my life with, so I sent it on its way. The new owner is a friend of mine and he runs it in IDPA, with no problems.

You can add anything in the world to the GI, just like you could any other GI 1911. You have to realize that 1911s aren't Glocks, parts aren't just drop-in for the most part, even if they say they are. You may have to do a little filing and fitting to make something work- but that's how it used to be for all 1911s. If you don't let it intimidate you it isn't too difficult.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have two RI's as bash around guns. I just ordered the GI for $329 with the Bud's guaranty for another $16+$4 insurance. My FFL charges $25 so I'll be about $385 OTD with a double lifetime warranty.

I honestly haven't shot my tactical and officers models enough to give a reliability report. About 50 rounds through the officers and maybe 150 through the 5". No issues with either so far - in like 3 years. (No I don't shoot them much. LOL) I sometimes carry the 5" tactical when hiking as if it gets dirty or scratched up it's not a big deal. The 5" shoots better than I do, my guess is from a bench rest it will probably do 3" or better groups at 25 yards. The 3.5" (I think it is) is fine up close, my groups widen past 15 yards, but it's me not the gun. They don't have a Dan Wesson trigger, but it fires the gun every time.

Some people buy them as project/build guns. I can't see sinking a lot of money with Wilson or Brown parts when you have lower price cast frames, etc. But I think for learning 1911 takedown and upgrading/gunsmithing it can be a great practice gun so you don't destroy a $1,500 model by over polishing or something. I've seen a few examples of people who did nice builds on RI frames. Personally I'd spend a bit more for a build frame and use STI or Caspian or a Colt. But the RI could be a good first build gun.

I bought this one for several reasons. I teach NRA and CCW classes and for the price I can't beat it for student use. Currently I use my Tactical but I really don't like students playing with my personal guns. So this will be mostly for them. Also maybe as a truck gun, or as a SHTF loaner or leave behind. There's a lot of uses for a cheap 1911 other than shooting competition!

I don't think you can go far wrong. And if you don't like it put a $500 price tag and someone will buy it.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

I have shot one of the RIA's a friend of mine has.He told me he hasn't had any problems with it.I enjoyed shooting it myself.I don't have one because i can't afford to buy every one i like wish i could.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

We have them and have put thousands of rounds through them with no problems. Even got one brand new on Friday, shot one round off the back patio to make sure it chambered the second round, carried it to a Steel Challenge shoot on Sat morning and my son won his class with it...and it had not even been cleaned, either.

We shoot 1911's a lot as we cast bullets to reload, so the cost is about $70 per thousand using our brass which we have tons of...and the RIA guns we have are as reliable as any and cheaper than all of the rest by a fairly wide margin.

Now, I did not say that they are the same quality as the higher guns, but they are dandy guns and at a very affordable price.

Edit: We only have the Tactical models, but I would think the others are just as good since they are all basically the same gun...

I have the same pistol, I love it. Never a malfunction and it shoots great. I paid about $100 more out the door and do not regret it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links