Metro American Classic "Amigo"

This is a discussion on Metro American Classic "Amigo" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just acquired a Metro American Classic "Amigo" -- officer 3.5" barrel, 7rd capacity mags. At first glance I really like this weapon. I have ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cred's Cariad
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Metro American Classic "Amigo"

Metro American Classic "Amigo"

I just acquired a Metro American Classic "Amigo" -- officer 3.5" barrel, 7rd capacity mags.

At first glance I really like this weapon. I have had a few Filipino 1911's in my time (RIA) so I really don't have much of a problem with them. I am wanting to purchase some magazines for carry purposes (this will not be just a range shooter for me). I have some Nighthawk 7rd'ers in my shopping cart at Midway.

I also have some Wolff magazine springs ready to be ordered to replace the spring in the ACT mag that came with it.

I also want to replace the recoil guide rod spring. At Wolff under the Colt officer's model recoil springs page, they give the option of "Factory diameter guide rods", or "Full diameter guide rods".

I will piece other parts together as I see fit, right now just trying to get the best, most reliably feeding mags, and best, most reliable guide rod spring

Basically, which guide rod spring do I need to order, and in which weight?

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

2. Remove Ads

Can't advise you on such a shorty but sure would like to read what you come up with that gains and keeps the gun reliable for you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Pics or it didnt happpen
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

You may end up needing the EGW mag release which lifts the mag an extra 0.020", iirc. Put it in the back of your mind if you start to have FTFs and stovepipes.

Chances are that you will need to get a one piece recoil guide rod chopped to the correct length. No biggie. Piece of cake for any gun smith.

You may want to correspond with Wolff as the Colt Officers' model uses a 3" barrel, iirc. Maybe Springfield has the correct length springs. idkfs.

I really liked the Amigo in two tone. Only problem, I found, was the weight.

Amigo Parts

MA45051B - Recoil Guide Rod Extended
    Is that the part you have? Is it plastic or a tube?

swap the reverse recoil plug out after 2000 rounds - put a stainless Colt one in. Also, if you replace the recoil spring with a single. Buy a 22# Wolff spring. The 24# keeps the slide from locking back sometimes after last shot. There are a couple of gents on the forum that use the 20# and have good results as well. You will have to cut which ever weight spring you choose down a bit, just match the length of the stock spring and file the cutoff area on the new spring.
    American Classic Amigo first impressions (PICS) - 1911Forum
    American Classic Amigo first impressions (PICS) - Page 2 - 1911Forum

Guide rod and spring?

Guide rod and spring? - Page 2
    If he's correct then any Colt Commander 18# spring should work, so long as you cut it down to the correct length.

I'm looking at Wilson's officer's guide rod combo Full-Length Guide Rod | Officer's-Wilson Combat

Thoughts?

I get the theory behind officers being brutal on recoil springs, but damn, 300 round replacement schedule?
    Last edited by Cred's Cariad; December 5th, 2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something else
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Congrats. I have the Amigos bigger brother the American Classic II. Haven't done a thing to it except slap on some cheap
    rubber grips. It's a shooter.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Where did you read the 300 round interval?

If Recalibration Results & Range Report (Amigo) [Archive] - KahrTalk Forums is anything to go by, a 24# spring may be too much.

A flat wire recoil spring is what you want. http://www.egwguns.com/recoil-spring...ecoil-springs/ Read the comments.

I'd even look into getting the spring from the SIG Ultra because it's barrel is 3.3" long.

Thanks for the replies!

This is a newer Amigo with the 1-piece extended guide rod. Definitely an interesting dis-assembly process, but once figured out, it's good to go...

As far as the mags go, my choices are Tripp, Wilson, and Nighthawk. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Cred's Cariad; December 6th, 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: edited magazine question
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

-Theodore Roosevelt-

Links