Kahr CW9 or RIA Compact

Kahr CW9 or RIA Compact

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 or RIA Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New guy here. About 3 weeks ago I wrote a letter to the judge that issued me my permit requesting I have the the restrictions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr CW9 or RIA Compact

Kahr CW9 or RIA Compact

New guy here. About 3 weeks ago I wrote a letter to the judge that issued me my permit requesting I have the the restrictions removed. It's a long shot, but in case he grants me a CCW, I'd like to have a set-up in mind to buy.
    I'm torn between the Kahr CW9 and a RIA Officer Compact. I got to handle a kahr at my LGS and man, that thing is sweet. It fits me really good and points very well for me. I currently shoot a RIA Match for 3 gun and it has been a superb gun. It has never failed me no matter what ammo I run through it. So, naturally I can't get a compact 1911 off my mind as a possible contender. Whichever one I choose, it will be carried IWB.

Now, I know I'm at completely different ends of the spectrum with these 2 guns. I'm just curious what the seasoned guys thought. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Adam

I think the CW9 is tough to beat as a carry weapon IMO. But what really matters is how YOU shoot each of them.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

JMB
    If you are already very familiar with a 1911 style pistol...why change for something completely different in feel and operation?

Since I've never carried before, I'm a bit concerned about the weight of the 1911. With a good belt and holster, will the extra weight of the 1911 make that much of a difference?

VIP Member
    Either would serve you well. You could also go with a CW45. Same feel and trigger as the CW9, but in a .45ACP format.
    cltyus1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Personally I would want to run a bunch of ammo through any 1911 smaller than a commander before I carried it. Never held or have seen a kahr, but reliability and comfort would be my only concerns that would come with any carry weapon.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Since I've never carried before, I'm a bit concerned about the weight of the 1911. With a good belt and holster, will the extra weight of the 1911 make that much of a difference?
    IMO...No

Not in my opinion. I would steer you towards a commander length 1911. The barrel is not so much the issue as the grip, and I carry the one in my avatar with a beltman belt and a milt sparks vm2. After doing that for a while it is a simple and strong setup I trust completely. Belt and holster will make a huge difference as the weight increases
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    New guy here. About 3 weeks ago I wrote a letter to the judge that issued me my permit requesting I have the the restrictions removed. It's a long shot, but in case he grants me a CCW, I'd like to have a set-up in mind to buy.
    I'm torn between the Kahr CW9 and a RIA Officer Compact. I got to handle a kahr at my LGS and man, that thing is sweet. It fits me really good and points very well for me. I currently shoot a RIA Match for 3 gun and it has been a superb gun. It has never failed me no matter what ammo I run through it. So, naturally I can't get a compact 1911 off my mind as a possible contender. Whichever one I choose, it will be carried IWB.

Now, I know I'm at completely different ends of the spectrum with these 2 guns. I'm just curious what the seasoned guys thought. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Adam
    A little off topic here but what a shame that you have to ask for permission to carry. What type of restrictions are there?
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Since you are a 1911, you should take a REAL look at Sig 938, if $$$$ a none issue, Springfield EMP.

Money is always an issue...lol.

My permit is restricted to hunting, hiking and target shooting. I know, it's ridiculous, but it is what it is. Living in NY is awful.

Comfort is #1 on my list. I'm a housing inspector, so I am constantly bending up and down.

I really wish there was a place one could go to try different gun/holster/belt set-ups.

Just explain to them that you have the RIGHT to bear arms. If you have to ask it isn't a right, it's a privilege. That should do the trick.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I wish that was good enough, Brad. Putting down anything related to the 2nd amendment will pretty much guarantee that it will get declined. You can't even mention self-defense or they'll reject it.

I wish that was good enough, Brad. Putting down anything related to the 2nd amendment will pretty much guarantee that it will get declined. You can't even mention self-defense or they'll reject it.
    Sounds about right that NY would decline a request for a concealed carry license should one say they want it for self defense. On account of it's asinine, I mean.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Money is always an issue...lol.

My permit is restricted to hunting, hiking and target shooting. I know, it's ridiculous, but it is what it is. Living in NY is awful.

Comfort is #1 on my list. I'm a housing inspector, so I am constantly bending up and down.

I really wish there was a place one could go to try different gun/holster/belt set-ups.
    You have to have a permit to hunt...in addition to your license?

Wow......I understand there is no place like home but I think I'd be trying to figure out a way to get out as soon as it was financially feasible. I wish you luck and apologize for going off topic.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links