Kimber Aegis II v. Springfield EMP

This is a discussion on Kimber Aegis II v. Springfield EMP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After swearing that I would not buy any more guns, I am now seriously considering one of these small 9mm 1911s. I love the look ...

Thread: Kimber Aegis II v. Springfield EMP

After swearing that I would not buy any more guns, I am now seriously considering one of these small 9mm 1911s. I love the look of the Kimber, and I have owned other Kimbers and found them excellent, but the little EMP by Springfield has also caught my eye. It is a few dollars more, but has two mags and some sort of holster included.

Now my question: has anyone actually fired them both? Any comparisons from someone who has shot them would be very helpful.

I'm a big fan of Springfield. Their service and support have been top notch. I've not fired them, but I have the SA Micro Compact and I love it.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I've handled the Kimber and it feels REAL NICE!...........slim and small, and would hide away very easily...........
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I've handled the Kimber and it feels REAL NICE!...........slim and small, and would hide away very easily...........
    I second that...I checked out one several weeks ago and compared it side by side with the EMP. The kimber does feel better. The store owner even let me try it with IWB holster and ohhhh it feels real nice.
    Proud owner of:
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 34
    F.I. Model D
    S&W 642
    ZM LR-300
    Arsenal SLR-105
    Bushmaster M4

I really like Springfield Arm. The EMP, from what I've seen is the first 1911 built around the 9mm cartridge.

I never like the idea of being a Beta tester, but I'd make an exception for the EMP.
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...1911-emp.shtml

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Handled an EMP in the gunstore last week. The trigger was the lightest I've ever seen on a production 1911. Unfortunately, it was too light for carry, should have been on a target pistol.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I'm with Retops...is there anyone out there that has shot either one of these? I have handled the Kimber but haven't seen the EMP. I am thinking of buying the Kimber but guess I need to hunt down one of the EMP's first.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Got one

I spent some time in the gun store today comparing the Aegis II and Springfield EMP. Both are fine weapons and would be easy to carry and use. I liked the Springfield's hammer, and the fact it came with two mags, but I did not like the ambidex safety as I don't need it. The mags on the Springfield protrude more from the bottom of the gun than I like in a carry piece. The grip on the Springfield did not feel as comfortable to me as did the Kimber.

The Kimber handled very nicely. It is a custom shop pistol and it shows in the construction and fit. I have always wanted a pistol that has been de-horned for carry and the Kimber is totally smooth. I bought the Kimber and promptly put 80 rounds of mixed 9mm through it. I did give it a dose of lubrication first since the action seemed too dry and I thought it might be balky. The little beauty ate up ball and JHP with no problems. Recoil was light for standard and +P loads. There were no failures to feed or any problems whatsoever. Although new and stiff, the action was flawless. The pistol grouped its shots as expected (tight). Shooting mixed magazines of different types of ammo was zero problem.

I will need to run it through a few more rounds, but I know this is my new carry piece. I'll try to take a picture tonight of the new gun and I'll see how it looks after a couple of years of daily carry.

It is a definite keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Retops View Post
    I spent some time in the gun store today comparing the Aegis II and Springfield EMP. Both are fine weapons and would be easy to carry and use. I liked the Springfield's hammer, and the fact it came with two mags, but I did not like the ambidex safety as I don't need it. The mags on the Springfield protrude more from the bottom of the gun than I like in a carry piece. The grip on the Springfield did not feel as comfortable to me as did the Kimber.

The Kimber handled very nicely. It is a custom shop pistol and it shows in the construction and fit. I have always wanted a pistol that has been de-horned for carry and the Kimber is totally smooth. I bought the Kimber and promptly put 80 rounds of mixed 9mm through it. I did give it a dose of lubrication first since the action seemed too dry and I thought it might be balky. The little beauty ate up ball and JHP with no problems. Recoil was light for standard and +P loads. There were no failures to feed or any problems whatsoever. Although new and stiff, the action was flawless. The pistol grouped its shots as expected (tight). Shooting mixed magazines of different types of ammo was zero problem.

I will need to run it through a few more rounds, but I know this is my new carry piece. I'll try to take a picture tonight of the new gun and I'll see how it looks after a couple of years of daily carry.

It is a definite keeper.

Nice choice! I don't think that there is a defintive winner between the two of them other than preferance. They are both very nice respectfully and I would carry either one of them to be honest.

The thing I wanted to say was, I'd clean a Kimber first before shooting it. They come in dirty from test firing at the factory and at times cause some problems because the carbon has set up on them. I hate that they send them out like this but I just picked up a Kimber also and it was pretty dirty and had to use some Power shot and scrub it down to get it clean before testing it out. Just FYI!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I'm glad you are happy with your choice Retops. It sounds like you picked out a sweet little jewel. Now the next thing will be... holster shopping

I have handled both side by side and also prefer the Kimber although I don't like the bobbed hammer. They are both nice but neither had much of an advantage in size and weight over my Ultra CDP so I will stick with .45.

Links