Guns and gloves

Guns and gloves

This is a discussion on Guns and gloves within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that winter is upon us I started thinking as I walked the dog, "Could I handle my gun with my gloves on"? I have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Guns and gloves

Guns and gloves

Now that winter is upon us I started thinking as I walked the dog, "Could I handle my gun with my gloves on"? I have never practiced so I guess I should start. How many of you DO practice handling your gun with gloves? What is the biggest issue you encounter?
    gatorbait51 and ArmyCop like this.

I haven't practiced because the gives i wear don't even fit in the trigger guard. If it is warm enough to wear thin gloves, i just put my hands in my pockets without gloves. I have practiced removing my glove from my draw hand then drawing. Obviously it slows me down (also have more cover garments to move) but the risk of frostbite or hypothermia is often a greater risk for me than being attacked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51, squid86 and ccw9mm like this.

VIP Member
    A Series 70 1911 will take glove shell and liner. Series 80 has a wider trigger so they are less easy to wear gloves . Smiths can use thinner gloves .

It doesn't really get cold enough in Texas to wear gloves. However, on the off chance that I am doing something that would require gloves ie hunting, out in the woods ect. I have either a Ruger Redhawk or a Ruger SP101 on me and with them in cocked in single action I can still fit the gloves that I use in the trigger guard. The trigger feel is not really there so you need to make darn sure you are on target so you don't get a premature discharge of your gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Do I practice with gloves--yes. Given that I live in Montana, gloves are a normal part of my everyday attire, whether in winter, for warmth, or the other season (2 seasons in Montana, Winter and road construction), when I'm doing chores on the ranch......
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    during normal day things i dont wear gloves, im not outside enough to really worry about it. i put my hands in my pocket. when im hunting i have my glove/mitten combo, the one that the top of the mitten pulls back to expose fingerless gloves. in the Navy i got some Seirus gloves (cant remember which one) when i was on watch. they were warm, waterproof and thin enough to fit in the trigger guard. and yes our higher ups made us train with our gloves. i still keep them in my car just in case. just find some warm gloves that will fit in your trigger guard and practice practice practice.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Anybody got glove recommendations? It's recently gotten quite cold here and I don't want to let that impact my practice as much as last winter. My M&P has plenty of room in the trigger guard. I have some mechanix work gloves and Perl izumi cycling gloves, and both provide good grip but not much insulation.

Walmart leather lined gloves is what I wear here. Warm and fit the trigger guard of my Walther P-1, Sig P-220 and CZ-75 pre B.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Yes, I practice with winter gloves. The trigger guard is plenty large on both the P5 and P99. That should be expected given where they are manufactured.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Senior Moderator
    Gloves do make a difference. If you are wearing them and carrying a gun, the responsible thing to do is to get out there and practice while you are wearing gloves. No one is going to want to hear, "I shot that person down the block because I couldn't hit what I was aiming at because I was wearing gloves" excuse.

There are several brands of gloves that are made for shooting that work well, they fit the hand well and there is no excess material. While not being as warm as wool lined gloves or mittens, they are better than nothing.

I have several pairs of shooting gloves for police duty. One of the best fitting gloves are made by "Hatch".

Whatever you decide, shoot with them on and see how it works.
    brocktice, rocky and blitzburgh like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Walmart sells a split finger shooting glove. I don't know how good they are.
    Bass Pro Shop also has a split finger glove.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Gloves do make a difference. If you are wearing them and carrying a gun, the responsible thing to do is to get out there and practice while you are wearing gloves. No one is going to want to hear, "I shot that person down the block because I couldn't hit what I was aiming at because I was wearing gloves" excuse.
    We are not allowed to use gloves at my local IDPA matches in the winter unless we train with them (honor system I guess) for safety reasons. I'd like to be able to use them for that as well as use the gun accurately and safely to avoid the situation you describe. Thanks for the recommendation of Hatch gloves!

Lead Moderator
    I prefer Hatch leather with liner gloves for winter. They are not bulky and work well enough working the safety/controls.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a pair of Under Armour MTN gloves that I wear. They are thin, warm, and have nubs on the palms and fingers for a great grip. Here is a listing on Ebay for what I wear: Under Armour Mens Black Mtn Stretch Gloves Size Medium | eBay
    fredg53 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    It doesn't really get cold enough in Texas to wear gloves.
    Depends on where you live. A significant portion of the state is experiencing sub-freezing temperatures today and bitter cold weather is a regular occurrence in the Amarillo/Lubbock region.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links