DPMS Sportical 5.56/.223 Attachment Help

This is a discussion on DPMS Sportical 5.56/.223 Attachment Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased the rifle and am deciding on attachments; because I'm new with AR style weaponry, I'm having difficulty understanding what quad rails are ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By matthew03

Thread: DPMS Sportical 5.56/.223 Attachment Help

DPMS Sportical 5.56/.223 Attachment Help

I just purchased the rifle and am deciding on attachments; because I'm new with AR style weaponry, I'm having difficulty understanding what quad rails are able to be mounted on this properly? And also, what kind of red dot sight would you recommend that isn't too expensive but still a decent sight? (Don't care much about color of dots, just looking to get an idea of good options.)

DPMS Sportical.jpg

2. Remove Ads

For the Sportical any standard quad rail for 16" gas impingement system will work. A 9" rail should completely cover your gas system. Lots of manufacturers to choose from. Troy makes some good ones that are inexpensive, somewhere between $50-$75. Or you can step into some nicer options from companies like BCM, Centurian Arms, Daniel Defense, LaRue Tactical, or Geissele to name a handful in the couple hundred dollar range.

If you're intending this just as a plinker/fun range toy then just about any red dot will do. Vortex makes a good mid range one. Otherwise go straight for an Aimpoint and be happy.

Just my .02

Hmm, actually you might only need a 7" one...just measure what you have to be sure, but they are standard parts available at most any gun store, at least around here they are.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I don't see any iron sights in the pic you posted. Does that rifle come with irons? A good or at least decent set of flip up BUIS would be the first thing I recommend. Get some practice with those before moving to an RDS or magnified optic. A sling would be nice as well, I like a single point bungee type, but others prefer two point or three point slings. Mags and ammo should round out the package, get plenty of range time and take a carbine class and then start to accessorize based on what you learn. No since spending a bunch of money until you decide what you want to do with the gun and know how to apply it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I agree, a good set of flip up sites, a sling, and magazines. No batteries required. For when you do end up putting on a new forend to mount a flashlight or other accessories, I find Magpul is an affordable option.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Links