The Kimber Solo and the coyote

This is a discussion on The Kimber Solo and the coyote within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's been cold and rainy here all day, and will get a bit colder this weekend. Nothing here like the northern states, but this wet ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Kimber Solo and the coyote

VIP Member

It's been cold and rainy here all day, and will get a bit colder this weekend. Nothing here like the northern states, but this wet cold can be tough on cattle. They do well in the wet, and they will do well in the cold, but not so good when it's both at the same time. Add the wind.......

Today I was checking cows and went over to a hay barn to do a couple of chores. I drove up to the barn, got out, opened a gate, started a diesel motor in the barn and let it run a while checking on it. I shut it down, got off and started to walk down the side of the hay rolls to do another chore. I hadn't walked ten feet and a coyote ran out from between the hay rolls right by me, say about 4 feet from me. A big shaggy coyote!

I made all that noise there and he didn't leave until he saw me. No doubt he was in a warm dry place, but he also passed dangerously close to my legs, and as Forrest Gump might say, my buttocks. Boy, that would make an interesting thread.

We've been having some coyote trouble lately, I think there might be too many in our area, because I'm seeing/hearing them more and more. A neighbor told me that two had been harrassing a newborn calf and mama. I don't have time to hunt them but I'm willing to thin them out if I get the chance.

When I encountered the one in the barn I certainly wasn't expecting it after being so noisy. Not having a proper rifle, I pulled out the only gun I had, and it was my Kimber Solo. I fired two quick shots at him running both of them between 100'-120' away. I hardly remember pulling it out of my pocket, and after I fired both shots I noticed my pocket holster laying on the ground. My focus was on the coyote so I don't know how it got there, and doesn't matter too much to me, but the holster did not slow me down or cause a distraction that I can recall.

I regretably have to admit I didn't hit him with either shot, but I have to say I'm still impressed with my Solo. Mine has been flawless. I know and have read where some Solo's have caused problems, I bought mine last summer and it has been fine. Shoots everytime.

Here's my first thread I wrote about it. Pricey little gun, but its' quickly growing on me
    I just tested my new 9mm pocket pistol
    WHEC724, oldman45, DRM and 4 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Cool thread and story. Good points. If I were working a farm or property and had my CM9 in my Remora and I saw a coyote, I'd have done the same thing.

VIP Member
    When historian's ponder why the North won the civil war, I would harken back to post's like this (first paragraph for example). All kidding aside, my solo has been flawless too. That is still a tougher shot then people think, don't be tough on yourself!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

That is great to hear. I have debated a Solo for months, but like you, have read a lot of reliability issues. Nice to hear of one without problems. How many rounds do you have through it?

Them darn things are hard to hit on the move . It seems like even walking they are moving along at a good clip.
    I'm glad the gun is to your satisfaction.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

A coyote coming at you in your barn from between a couple round bales, and you missed?

Where was your thinking? Why weren't you ready for one?

I doubt I'd have had the presence of mind to even draw. I'd say you did well to squeeze a few off.

A coyote in your barn. Man, aren't they infuriating? I swear, I'd not be surprised to have one trot through my bathroom when I'm using it, but gimme a good rifle and they hang at 700+.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    When historian's ponder why the North won the civil war, I would harken back to post's like this (first paragraph for example). All kidding aside, my solo has been flawless too. That is still a tougher shot then people think, don't be tough on yourself!
    The North won the war cuz the cows in the south get cold and wet??? May have to start cross breeding cows in Rebel land the way things are going LOL.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Whats all this stuff about The North winning?!?

Quote Originally Posted by CCIE33560 View Post
    That is great to hear. I have debated a Solo for months, but like you, have read a lot of reliability issues. Nice to hear of one without problems. How many rounds do you have through it?

Sponsor

Lightbulb

When I encountered the one in the barn I certainly wasn't expecting it after being so noisy. Not having a proper rifle, I pulled out the only gun I had, and it was my Kimber Solo. I fired two quick shots at him running both of them between 100'-120' away. I hardly remember pulling it out of my pocket, and after I fired both shots I noticed my pocket holster laying on the ground. My focus was on the coyote so I don't know how it got there, and doesn't matter too much to me, but the holster did not slow me down or cause a distraction that I can recall.
    Dog's die hard. You may have hit him. Did you look for blood or fur? Next time I'd have gun in hand BEFORE entering the barn. Good post. We all should be more aware as the yote population is growing.

"What's the #1 Rule in a gunfight? Gun must be in hand BEFORE fight starts." - B.C. Walsh
    DR COYOTE 1.jpg
    Tundra5.7 likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Might get up to 6 degrees today.

Solo is a beautiful gun.
    rocky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    That was certainly a hard shot with a pistol.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    From four feet to one hundred before you reacted, drew and fired is indicative of how fast those critters move. So much for Tueller. I would seriously want more gun than a Solo if I went where the coyotes go...wait, I do go where they go. 'yotes, like other critters become desensitized to human presence, thus losing their natural fear of us. No surprise that this one didn't dash as soon as you fired up the equipment, and waited until you actually jumped him to move.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Forget your buttocks and count your blessings you weren't taking a squirt when he ran past. Talk about feeling vulnerable...
    Grantspastor and Taurahe like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Thanks for the good, informative post.

I do find the Solo performs extremely well, especially for a firearm of that size and caliber. It is difficult to realize how well these small firearms perform unless someone has had the opportunity to try one. I find the Solo much more accurate and controllable than my .380 PPK. The Solo, to me, just naturally "points" at the target.

I was one of the folks that had issues with the Solo. Multiple trips back to Kimber solved all but one of the problems. This problem I solved myself. This tread describes the issue. Maybe it will help some others who have the same problem.

Kimber Solo issues solved..Not by Kimber.

Since the last "tweaking" the Solo has performed flawlessly (knock on wood), even with 115 gr. bulk ammo.

I have not given my Solo the "Coyote" test as of yet. A few, Coyote thinning, opportunities are presenting themselves more frequently now that the foliage is disappearing. Maybe I will start carrying the Solo more often in case "Wiley" decides to make an appearance.

Again, Good informative thread.
    ppkheat likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    That was indeed a tough shot! Nice gun! Even though I usually have a CCW on me while around my homestead I have missed a couple of good oppurtunities to bag Wiley E. Coyote due to not having a long gun handy. I know keep a rifle in my shop which is about 50yds from the house. I have been contemplating picking up a 20 ga Tamer, loaded with #3 buck that would be very close to ideal for a running coyote within 40 yds or so.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links