Has anyone ever seen pistol with

This is a discussion on Has anyone ever seen pistol with within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ehhh no markings except manufacturer and serial no?? I had one brought to me this evening to look at for another person and lube for ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 3 Post By Echo_Four
  • 3 Post By Ghost1958
  • 3 Post By ugh762x39
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By Tundra5.7
  • 2 Post By Nmuskier
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By hardluk1
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh

Thread: Has anyone ever seen pistol with

ehhh no markings except manufacturer and serial no?? I had one brought to me this evening to look at for another person and lube for them.

Now I know what it was. A Taurus mod 92 9mm. But its the first firearm I can ever remember seeing that did not have the mod no on it, or the caliber on it either

Just Taurus and serial number. Absolutely no indication of caliber or model anywhere inside or out. Ive seen much older guns than this one of all makes but never saw one without at least the caliber stamped on it someplace.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I've never seen anything like that. I hate to think of the liability that would come with making a gun without the caliber on it somewhere. When some genuis finds a way to load a 357 sig round and it explodes there'd be a huge lawsuit. Makes me think it must have been one of the early Taurus 92s.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

If a person took the grips off it wouldnt even have had the manufacturer on it. just a serial number.

Now the person bringing I know very well. And should no better than the stuff I heard and had to each them

One according to them the gun was "ported" so it would feed anything. It obviously wasnt ported so I thought they may have meant throated but I could see no evidence of that either.

They also thought and they have had this gun a good while that you had to cock it by hand on the first shot. Ehhh no DA/Sa Showed them how it actually would fire without cocking the hammer by hand on the first shot.

They also were uncocking it by hand on a live rounds. Showed them it had a decocker.

Anyway id never seen a pistol with no cal stamp before and ive seen a lot of em. Just puzzled the heck out of me.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Years ago I stopped into my LGS. The manager knew me and wanted to show me this new revolver they had just received. I think it was American or New American something or other. A really ugly boxy looking thing. I didn't even want to hold it but he insisted. He said to look down the barrel. I did....no rifling!! He said he had called the vendor and they didn't believe him. They called him back half an hour later and told him they were checking their stock and hadn't found one pistol that had a rifled barrel! I guess everybody has their problems with Quality Control!!
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

VIP Member
    I have a couple old pistols with only the manufacturer and serial number (if that is what we want to call the batch numbers Remington used) on them, but I've never seen it on a modern gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Never seen one like that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    You'd think at least the barrel would have a caliber stamp? Even an aftermarket (especially?) barrel would have a stamp.
    Secret Spuk and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Might have been a transition gun, from when Taurus bought the Brazilian Beretta operations. Are you sure it was the 92 or could it have been the 100 which was the .40 cal version?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    dan Wesson revolver have no model info on them . It does have cartridge info along with where it was made serial number and maker but noooo model.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Perhaps a pre-production model?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a Taurus PT92 made in 1987 that has model number and caliber stamped on it. Taurus PT92's did not have
    a decocker until the early 90's when they converted their safeties to a hammer drop as well. The gun you described
    cannot be much older than 20 years, and I guarantee you that all Taurus PT92's made in that era had the caliber and model
    number stamped somewhere. I had a few of them.

....has the owner had this gun altered?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Look at the barrel for the Cal. stamp The gun could be from way nack when taurus didnt make anything else... (except maybe revolvers)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Can't say I've ever seen a firearm that didn't have a caliber stamp somewhere on it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Perhaps a pre-production model?
    That would be cool!

Administrator
    It's a Taurus and the serial number appears only on the removable grips?

I wonder how it even got imported like that because I do not believe that would be ATF legal if the serial number does not appear on the frame.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links