Manual of arms for the Jericho 941R/Baby Eagle II

This is a discussion on Manual of arms for the Jericho 941R/Baby Eagle II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got a Baby Eagle II, with the safety/decocker on the slide. It's DA/SA. I've been reading it can be carried at half-cock. At ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By brocktice
  • 1 Post By brocktice
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By brocktice

Thread: Manual of arms for the Jericho 941R/Baby Eagle II

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

I recently got a Baby Eagle II, with the safety/decocker on the slide. It's DA/SA. I've been reading it can be carried at half-cock.

At the moment it's a range toy, but should I ever want to carry it for defense I'd like to better understand the manual of arms for this gun. I don't yet understand the carry conditions for it as I do with my 1911/M&Ps. Does anyone know this gun or similar ones well enough to point me in the right direction?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

As far as I can tell my options are safety off, hammer down, empty chamber or safety off hammer down on a loaded chamber or safety off, half-cocked, loaded chamber or all empty, hammer down, safety on.

EDIT: Also safety on, round in chamber, hammer down, or safety off, round in chamber, fully cocked.

I'm not sure if it's drop-safe with a round in the chamber unless the safety is on. I know the safety blocks the firing pin.
    Last edited by brocktice; December 7th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Not familiar with the baby Jericho in particular, but generally speaking, for a pistol that is DA/SA with a decocker (such as the Beretta M-9), condition 1 would be round in chamber, safety on, magazine inserted. The only DA/SA with a safety/decocker I ever carry is a Bersa Thunder, and that is how I carry that pistol. For my Sigs I use the decokcer, but there is no safety to worry about. Just a round in chamber, hammer down (via decocker), with a magazine inserted.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If I'm correct it is similar to a CZ, without the ability to carry cocked and locked. Half cock gives you a lighter and shorter 'double action' pull and 'Failure to do right' whines at IDPA matches.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Quote Originally Posted by N.M. Edmands View Post
    If I'm correct it is similar to a CZ, without the ability to carry cocked and locked. Half cock gives you a lighter and shorter 'double action' pull and 'Failure to do right' whines at IDPA matches.
    My understanding is that the one with the frame mounted safety can be carried cocked and locked. This one has the slide-mounted safety, and I can't put the safety on while it's cocked, it de-cocks it, and it doesn't seem to be possible to cock the hammer as long as the safety is on -- it just drops right back down.
    patri0t likes this.

I just sold a New Baby Eagle clone I got as an extra in a trade for almost nothing. It had the frame mounted safety (the way it should be IMO) and I could carry it 'cocked & locked' or with the hammer 'half-cocked', which works for me as I have been trained to use the hammer as a safety. It also had the 'Chrome-Coated internal components with Chrome-Lined barrel' (black chrome). It was an extremely high quality sidearm with little to 'wear-out' and built extremely 'tight'. But, I decided to divest myself of 9mm for some simplicity (except for one small Hot weather carry piece).
    The slide serrations were deep-cut for very easy racking. I chose to carry it half-cocked as I automatically pull the hammer back on draw.
    I do not see the need for a 'manual' safety if the sidearm has a half-cock or 1/3rd cock option like my USP Variant 1 has (the safety works in all 3 hammer positions on that one) ??
    I have done this with my 1911 Colts .45acps for decades, so I have the 'muscle-memory' for it to work. Actually, I have zero use for 'manual-safeties' on any sidearms.

This does NOT mean it is the Right Way to carry, just the way that works best for me, due to extensive training over many years.
    Kodak sidearms, like Glock, do not require additional steps as they are just point & shoot.

However, I am cutting back on my quantity of sidearms & shotguns and am now concentrating more on quality.
    I was taught to shoot many decades ago without using an external safety, Never have an empty chamber, with the single exception of using a frame-mounted-safety for 'cocked & locked carry only.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Links