Trade LCP for PF-9?

This is a discussion on Trade LCP for PF-9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger LCP. After about 400 rounds, it's been 100% reliable. Mostly FMJ Tula, WWB, and Blazer Brass. Shot 50 rounds of my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Trade LCP for PF-9?

Trade LCP for PF-9?

I have a Ruger LCP. After about 400 rounds, it's been 100% reliable. Mostly FMJ Tula, WWB, and Blazer Brass. Shot 50 rounds of my carry ammo (Golden Sabers) and still had 100%. Never a FTF, FTE, or stove pipe. Not a single stoppage. I carry it as a backup gun in my pocket or a better than nothing carry gun if I'm wearing something like gym shorts and just run out of the house real quick.

Friend is looking for a smaller gun besides his G19. Is looking at the LCP. I was thinking about selling him mine for the price of a PF-9. I feel like a gun slightly larger would still be a piece of cake to pocket carry, and the 9mm would be a much better defensive round, and much more plentiful, and affordable round to shoot more of.

I've never owned a Kel Tec. Heard mixed things, but I've heard pretty good things overall about the PF-9. It isn't generally a primary carry, but as a backup gun or worst case carry gun, what do you think? Would you do the trade?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Not a good idea, IMO. A keltec seems to be a gamble on having a reliable firearm, and pretty sure most will say it's not easy to carry as a pocket gun.

I'd keep a reliable, proven pocket gun that I already owned and save for a new 9mm. That's my $0.02, take it or leave it.
    franco45 and rugergunner like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    If my only choices were a PF9 or an LCP, I would go with the LCP hands down.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Trade LCP for PF-9?

I've done the rounds and honestly a "pocket" 9mm isn't very pocketable at all. Unless you know for sure all your wardrobe is super dark, super baggy and with nice deep pockets. Any less and it prints.

I've tried pocketing a LC9, Shield, SCCY CPX-2 and my G26, all unsuccessfully. They look like a phone book got stuffed into my pants.

If you want a pocket gun, go with a pew pew .380 ACP mouse gun (by sticking to your LCP) or get a real pocket gun: a .38 sp +P snub nosed revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved my PF-9 before it was stolen. Replaced it with a S&W shield though.

I'd make the trade.

I originally bought an LCP and couldn't get it to run reliably despite trips back to Ruger. Regardless of ammo type or brand, I was having issues approximately every other magazine. The LCP and I parted ways and I deiced to replace it with the Kel Tec PF9 since it wasn't much bigger and my Kel Tec P32 has been flawless.

I doubt I'll ever own any other Kel Tec besides the two I mentioned, except for maybe the KSG, but my PF9 has been trouble free and has reliably ate anything I've fed it and it pocket carries nicely as my BUG (when I'm not carrying a snub for the role).
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I've done the rounds and honestly a "pocket" 9mm isn't very pocketable at all. Unless you know for sure all your wardrobe is super dark, super baggy and with nice deep pockets. Any less and it prints.

I've tried pocketing a LC9, Shield, SCCY CPX-2 and my G26, all unsuccessfully. They look like a phone book got stuffed into my pants.

If you want a pocket gun, go with a pew pew .380 ACP mouse gun (by sticking to your LCP) or get a real pocket gun: a .38 sp +P snub nosed revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see you didn't mention the PF9, so I must ask, have you tried to pocket carry one? It's actually quite "pocketable". I'll give you the SCCY CPX-2 and G26, though. I haven't owned the others.
    Last edited by blitzburgh; December 8th, 2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: correction
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Look at the Kahr CM9 for a pocket sized 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I have a Ruger LCP. After about 400 rounds, it's been 100% reliable. Mostly FMJ Tula, WWB, and Blazer Brass. Shot 50 rounds of my carry ammo (Golden Sabers) and still had 100%. Never a FTF, FTE, or stove pipe. Not a single stoppage. I carry it as a backup gun in my pocket or a better than nothing carry gun if I'm wearing something like gym shorts and just run out of the house real quick.

Friend is looking for a smaller gun besides his G19. Is looking at the LCP. I was thinking about selling him mine for the price of a PF-9. I feel like a gun slightly larger would still be a piece of cake to pocket carry, and the 9mm would be a much better defensive round, and much more plentiful, and affordable round to shoot more of.

I've never owned a Kel Tec. Heard mixed things, but I've heard pretty good things overall about the PF-9. It isn't generally a primary carry, but as a backup gun or worst case carry gun, what do you think? Would you do the trade?
    My opinions and suggestions are as follows:

1. If you have a reliable polymer .380 pocket gun I wouldn't get rid of it, as they appear to be the exception rather then the rule from my experience.

2. I'm not convinced that most of the 9mm "pocket guns" are really truly pocket sized, unless your a bigger person who likes wearing cargo pants all the time.

3. Being able to shoot a small, polymer .380 pocket gun well is difficult enough much less one in 9mm.

I would not do it. You are trading a reliable gun for one that's an unknown. Some people think the pocket 380s are snappy. All I can say is fire a 9mm smaller than the XDS shield size.

It's like a rattlesnake by the tail

Lighten Up Francis.

The PF-9 isn't really much bigger than the LCP, and much thinner than any revolver. The size isn't really different.

I was concerned about reliability mainly.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    It would certainly be a gamble. I have traded a pistol or two in the past that I liked and had been reliable for one I thought I'd like, only to wish I'd never made the trade. I would not do it.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I pocket carry my PF-9 during the warmer months and have been very happy with it. If you are recoil sensitive the PF-9 can be quite fierce especially with +P's. I think this is the reason (limp wristing) it has received some negative reviews. BTW, if you get a PF-9 I would highly reccomend the hard chrome finish particularly in your hot, humid, salt air climate. Good luck!
    Oldpsufan and blitzburgh like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If my only choices were a PF9 or an LCP, I would go with the LCP hands down.
    Having owned both, I would rather have the LCP also.
    franco45 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

A pf9 isn't a pocket pistol. Thin and light but small or even close to as small as an LCP it isn't.

IMG_1207-1.JPG

^ pic doesn't do it justice, in your hand the pf9 feels twice the size. The pf9 does make a nice OWB carry piece, however.com I wouldn't trade my LCP for one. Especially since the Shield can be had for one bill more. A CM9 can be found for 50 bucks more...
    miller_man likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links