XD vs PPQ

XD vs PPQ

This is a discussion on XD vs PPQ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’ll start by saying that I am partial to Springfield. My first pistol was an XD .45 Compact (sold it to by the XDm 45 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: XD vs PPQ

XD vs PPQ

I’ll start by saying that I am partial to Springfield. My first pistol was an XD .45 Compact (sold it to by the XDm 45 compact), my next gun an XDm 45 compact, then an XDs .45, then an XDm 4.5” 9mm (sold it to get the Range Officer), then an XDm 5.25” 9mm, and a Springfield Range Officer (1911). However, my most recent purchase was a Walther PPQ M2 9mm. I love the ergonomics on the XDm’s but I must admit the PPQ is even more ergonomic (for me). Although I like Springfield, I cannot stand the stock triggers, a lot of over travel and have a mushy break. I changed all of them out with the PRP Ultimate Match Target Trigger (except the XDs and Range Officer). I love the PRP triggers, they are awesome! Greatly reduced over travel and have a short reset. However, when comparing it side by side with my PPQ, the stock trigger on the PPQ is better than even the PRP Ultimate Match Trigger (for me). Although the PPQ does have over travel on the first shot, it has a very crisp break and short reset. The PRP trigger does too but it is still a tiny bit mushy. I have to admit that all around I like the PPQ better stock, than an XDm with or without a the trigger kit installed. Although, when I went to the range to compare them side by side (PPQ and XDm 5.25” with PRP Trigger), I shot them equally well and my wife shot the XDm much better, I attribute this to her slapping the trigger. She does not know how to use the reset (doesn’t want to learn I’ve tried teaching her) and since the PPQ has initial over travel, her groups were consistently larger with the PPQ, then when using the XDm with the PRP trigger. Overall, I love both guns, but the PPQ gets the nod in my book.

VIP Member
    I will take a stock PPQ over a modded XD or XDM all day long. They have better ergos, accuracy, and trigger over the XD/XDm series.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. Yep, the PPQ is the one that I finally decided on over the Glock 19. I don't have to worry about the XD/XDMs because I just don't like them - feel top heavy and getting to the mag release is a pain. But right now there's other things I need to buy before I get a PPQ. It's interesting that you threw in the trigger kits as that is the first thing that I would have suggested if you didn't like the trigger. But when someone says that they threw a $150 trigger kit into a $550 gun (which my brother thinks is unconscionable - I said that that is what I was going to do the Glock or the S&W M&P) and it still didn't feel as nice as the stock trigger - that says a lot! My brother bought a used XDM 3.8" .40 and says he loves the trigger. I keep telling him that someone threw a trigger kit in it because the stock triggers just do not feel so good. He'll be sending out for a chop job to cut it down to Compact size, 5", because he just hates the grip being so long (5.6"). http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_4.html

Congratulations on your purchase. And again, thanks for the review. I just wish that the PPQ was exactly 5.0" high instead of 5.3" and 1.0" wide instead of 1.3" wide and had a short external extractor and the front serrations didn't have the Walther logo. Then it would have been perfect.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

If a picture is worth a thousand words.... Here's a real time look at my hip.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

I also would opt for the PPQ, one of the best if not the best ergonomic grip ever built.
    gatorbait51 and C hawk Glock like this.

No comparison. The PPQ has better ergos, a MUCH better trigger, and better stock sights. The only drawback to it is the price and availability of mags (for the M2) and holsters.

When my Sparks gets here, I expect my M2 will compete with my 1911 for top dog.
    gatorbait51 and C hawk Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Supposedly the Baby Desert Eagle mags will work. idkfs. That and Gen 2 P99 mags (which will probably cost as much.)

Nut'n'Fancy on UTube called the PPQ a "Going to War Gun," iirc, that you can stake your life on it. Basically a SHTF gun. The Glock 19 was obviously on the same list. And The FNH FNX9, iirc. While on the same channel I was surprised to find out that the CZ P07 Duty's slide is 1.5" wide, even wider than the PPQ.

Multistage,

I wouldn't worry about the price. You could get a PPS for the same amount and, to me, the PPQ is the better gun for the money. I was thinking of going with a Glock 19 and installing $150 worth of trigger parts into it, so again, the PPQ comes out on top. What really sold me on the PPQ was the mag release - easy to get to, a delight to depress, no having to shift my hand to engage it. Bang!, it's right there. Same goes for the slide release - it's a real slide release, not a slide stop. Put the ergos all together and it's as much gun, if not more, than the G19, which sells for the same $550. It's all relative.

But, to tell you the truth I wouldn't sweat the $40 apiece price for authentic Walther mags:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/583...iction-coating
    It's only a little more expensive than paying for Wilson Combat or Tripp Research 1911 mags.

My brother has the same mentality - he's used to paying $20 apiece for Glock 19 mags. He sees/has no problem buying cheap 1911 mags for $15 at gun shows.

To me, $40 is reasonable. "What?" you say? I was at a local gun show last January. A guy bought one mag for his XDM. The guy paid $120!!! If I didn't see it with my own eyes and hear it with my own ears I wouldn't have believed it. That's gouging at it's finest.

Had it been one of the PPQ M1s then the Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle mags MAGFA915 for $25 - $30 would have worked fine. Supposedly. BTW, I hear they're bringing the M1 back, to sell along side the M2. Now if only it came in two tone. :D

Now compare Customer Service of the two companies Springfield wins easily S&W CS is the worse CS. it is beyond terrible down right atrocious!

How about magazine availability.? That's enough to turn me off and yes I have a PPQ and several S&W revolvers but they need to get their heads out of rearend a on Customer Service

Does Smith still provide customer service for Walter? I thought that ended sometime last year.

The PPQ us the Glock I always wanted, but they never built. The ergos and trigger are fantastic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I carry my PPQ every day, I've pretty much quit carrying my PPS in favor of it. Amazing gun :)

That much said, they aren't too spendy. If you hunt a bit, or look online, you can get them around $550, bit more than a Glock but still in that Glock/XD range. Mags are definitely pricey though.

VIP Member
    Good review!

I'll take the PPQ hands down any day over any XD or XDM. The only pistol I have ever traded was an XD 9 SC with CT grips. It was so top heavy it felt like I was shooting a brick. The Ergonomics of the PPQ is so far superior to the SPR that any slight differences in the trigger would not be a factor (for me) in choosing one over the other.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Supposedly the Baby Desert Eagle mags will work. idkfs. That and Gen 2 P99 mags (which will probably cost as much.)
    The PPQ M1 will accept Walther M1 magazines, Baby Desert Eagle (US-made Eagle only) mags, MecGar mags, Magnum Research, and ProMag mags for the M1 PPQ. All of them save the ProMag magazines are made by mecgar, and are pretty much the same thing, except the Walther version has a flat black special coating.
    I've seen magazines for the 9mm PPQ in 10, 15, 17, 30, and 33 round capacities, and as cheap as <$20 each
    The newer M2 PPQ takes a different magazine entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Now compare Customer Service of the two companies Springfield wins easily S&W CS is the worse CS. it is beyond terrible down right atrocious!

How about magazine availability.? That's enough to turn me off and yes I have a PPQ and several S&W revolvers but they need to get their heads out of rearend a on Customer Service
    S&W no longer has anything to do with Walther. Walther has their own US-based facilities now.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ok if Smith is not involved with Walther I take back what I posted.

Smith and Wesson CS stinks that has nothing to do with Walther.
    GlassWolf likes this.

VIP Member
    I am now starting to see mags show up for my PPQ M2 and just picked up a couple. Midway USA now has the 17 rounders for sale. I guess what I have learned is that it might be the first gun I have purchased in a long time in which I don't feel like I need to fiddle fart with.

On a side note to Ramjet, if you get a PPQ you wont have to worry about calling customer service!

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I am now starting to see mags show up for my PPQ M2 and just picked up a couple. Midway USA now has the 17 rounders for sale. I guess what I have learned is that it might be the first gun I have purchased in a long time in which I don't feel like I need to fiddle fart with.

On a side note to Ramjet, if you get a PPQ you wont have to worry about calling customer service!

Walther Mags
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links