Ruger SR series mag disconntect dry fire info

This is a discussion on Ruger SR series mag disconntect dry fire info within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This post isnt to discuss taking the mag disconnect out or leaving it in. That is up to whoever owns the thing. So please no ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By Kennydale

Thread: Ruger SR series mag disconntect dry fire info

This post isnt to discuss taking the mag disconnect out or leaving it in. That is up to whoever owns the thing. So please no debates on that issue. Im posting this strictly to pass on info for those that dont know or may get a used one with no manual. After flipping around some boards even the Ruger one there seems to be a lot of confusion on this particular issue.

The Ruger SR9 SR9C SR40 etc do all have a mag disconnect installed when new. And you can dry fire one as much as you want with a empty mag inserted However if the mag disconnect is still in the pistol dry firing will damage the striker and mag disconnect when no empty mag is inserted, if not quickly then over time.

If the mag disconnect has been removed then you can dry fire the SR series as you would any other pistol without one.

. Some who buy them new think there are two different models of them, one with a mag disconnect and one without. There arent. They all have them installed at the factory. The confusion seems to come from the following

There are only two ways to tell if the mag disconnect is still in the gun or not. Either break the gun down to striker channel and look. Or put a bullet in the chamber take it outside with no mag in it and pull the trigger. If it goes bang the mag disconnect has been taken out.

Just dropping the mag on an empty SR series will tell you nothing. With the mag disconnect installed the trigger will pull as normal, the striker will behave as if it would fire if a round was in the chamber. It wont fire but it will look feel and behave as if it would leading a lot that dont either tear it down far enough to actually look or function testing it with a live round to think that theirs doesnt have one or its been taken out when it hasnt.

This probably old news to a lot. May be not such old news to new owners of them or folks that get one used with no manual.

Just a heads up to maybe head off a trip to Ruger for your SR to get the striker replaced from dry firing it with no empty mag inserted, the mag disconnect in and not knowing it.
    BradL likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

not sure why there would be any confusion. The manual is very clear that dry firing without a magazine can damage the gun. I'm sure every manual states this.

And you can tell if it's got the magazine disconnect installed by field stripping the gun. No need to pull the striker. At the rear of the slide, there will normally be 2 "pins" that can get pushed up next to the striker. The front round one is the trigger safety. The back one is the mag disconnect.

I wouldn't ever depend on the mag disconnect to keep the weapon safe. If you had a round in the chamber, dropped the magazine, and pull the trigger, regardless of the mag disconnect, you had better expect the weapon to fire.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DenverGP View Post
    not sure why there would be any confusion. The manual is very clear that dry firing without a magazine can damage the gun. I'm sure every manual states this. And you can tell if it's got the magazine disconnect installed by field stripping the gun. No need to pull the striker. At the rear of the slide, there will normally be 2 "pins" that can get pushed up next to the striker. The front one is the firing pin safety. The back one is the mag disconnect.

maxresdefault.jpg
    I know that and you know that but ton of folks that get a SR used wont get a manual offline or get it with the gun. New they wont bother to read the manual just load the gun and go. Or would know what that pin is if they saw it. Heck my wifes CCDW instructor who is also LEO and a LEO trainer that handles tons of different firearms works on them etc didnt know the SR even had a disconnect.

Like I said just a heads up.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I took my mag disconnect out of my SR9c the first day I owned it
    Stupid invention IMO ,guns should go bang everytime as long as there is a bullet
    in the pipe

Thanks for the heads up I will pass it along since Every other Mag safety I ever saw wouldn't let you pull the triggger,in this scenario if you didn't know it you could damage the gun by dry firing it and then carry a broken gun that u wouldn't know was broken until your next shooting session,or buy a used gun that somebody else broke and traded it in
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/sr9c.pdf
    This should be the Sr series manual in PDF format (Need Adobe reader or like to view)
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Yup my SR45's mag disconnect is in it's box....

If I ever sell it I'll put it back.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thanks for the heads up I will pass it along since Every other Mag safety I ever saw wouldn't let you pull the triggger,in this scenario if you didn't know it you could damage the gun by dry firing it and then carry a broken gun that u wouldn't know was broken until your next shooting session,or buy a used gun that somebody else broke and traded it in
    Guess I should take the time to read the links, because like you, I was thinking, how do you dry fire it with no magazine inserted if it has a magazine disconnect? Just doesn't make sense.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    BTW , ditto for the Ruger P345. I have one. Removed the mag disconnect, it is under the rear sight in that model.

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    Guess I should take the time to read the links, because like you, I was thinking, how do you dry fire it with no magazine inserted if it has a magazine disconnect? Just doesn't make sense.
    That was the reason I posted the thread. A lot of folks, including me at the start, figured mag disconnect no mag no trigger pull. The SR series with the mag out and mag disconnect installed acts as if it doesnt have a mag disconnect. . Trigger pulls, striker draws back and snaps forward exactly like it would when firing it. It just wont fire the round if the magazine is out of it. And dry firing it in that state with disconnect installed with no empty mag will damage the striker.

Not that I know something special or anything cuz I dont. LOL
    Last edited by Ghost1958; December 10th, 2013 at 03:01 AM.

So are you saying after I took themag disconnect out that my gun will not fire with a round in the chamber and the magazine out?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
    So are you saying after I took themag disconnect out that my gun will not fire with a round in the chamber and the magazine out?
    NOOOO lol. If you take the mag disconnect out the sr series WILL fire with the magazine out. I dont see anyplace I said anything like that.

What I said and will repeat with the mag disconnect installed in the pistol, it should not fire with the magazine out. Take the Magazine disconnect out of the pistol and it will fire repeat WILL fire with no magazine in the pistol and one in the chamber. AGAIN IT WILL FIRE A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER IF YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE DISCONNECT OUT OF THE PISTOL, WITH NO MAGAZINE IN THE GUN.

I am not saying to take it out or leave it in. Just trying to prevent someone from damaging their pistol unknowingly by dry firing it with no empty magazine in the pistol.

Maddawg pm sent to you.

One would think that after buying a certain gun the manual would be one of the first things to read. Whether printed or downloaded.
    I have to admit I do get a little worried sometimes with the things I read on some of the forums. Might ought to re-post this on the ruger forum.

Links