Bodyguard 380 Magazine Difficulty

This is a discussion on Bodyguard 380 Magazine Difficulty within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off I am a newbie to all of this. I recently purchased a BG 380 and I am a bit frustrated. One of the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Happypuppy

Thread: Bodyguard 380 Magazine Difficulty

Bodyguard 380 Magazine Difficulty

First off I am a newbie to all of this. I recently purchased a BG 380 and I am a bit frustrated. One of the main reasons that I went got a pistol vs a revolver was the capacity. My BG will not accept a fully loaded magazine with six rounds. Loading five is no problem. After
    contacting S&W customer service, I was instructed to break it in with 300+ rounds as my situation is normal. Normal? Really? I should bot expect to carry more than five rounds until I put hundreds of rounds through this thing first? Something doesnt seem right with this. Am I being paranoid or asking too much for this pistol to initially function as designed? Anyone else in the same boat?

2. Remove Ads

Define "accept". What is happening? Is it failing to feed with six rounds in the magazine, but not with five? Or is the magazine literally not going into the gun, or what? Have you tried this with more than one magazine, and is the malfunction exactly the same with each of them?

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    mine holds 6 no prob plus one in the pipe =7

Whats the prob?

I have the Bodyguard .380 and have had no difficulty putting the required number of rounds in each magazine.

There is sometimes a problem with the set screw that holds in the Laser. It can worm it's way out a bit and cause the pistol to not chamber a round or when a round is inside of the chamber, it will not eject.

Take the slide off and look at the small hex screw and tighten it down so that the slide does not scrape across it. That may be your problem.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I bought a second magazine for my BG 380 brand new and had this problem.I took it apart and found that the spring was binding and now it holds full capacity with no issues.
    Try taking it apart and check to make sure the spring isn't binding.

Are you sure the spring is not just stiff. I have a few mags with mine and no issues.

Lighten Up Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Are you sure the spring is not just stiff. I have a few mags with mine and no issues.

Lighten Up Francis.
    Thanks all for the feedback. I have tried two magazines and neither will seat. I will take one apart and see if it is an issue with both mags, but I am still a bit annoyed with the response that I got from S&W. Oh well. I will keep you informed.

Mine had no problems with all 3 mags. I will say that you should probably plan on putting a couple hundred rounds through the gun anyways to prove its reliability and learn the gun/trigger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I'm going to try this. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
    First off I am a newbie to all of this. I recently purchased a BG 380 and I am a bit frustrated. One of the main reasons that I went got a pistol vs a revolver was the capacity. My BG will not accept a fully loaded magazine with six rounds. Loading five is no problem. After
    contacting S&W customer service, I was instructed to break it in with 300+ rounds as my situation is normal. Normal? Really? I should bot expect to carry more than five rounds until I put hundreds of rounds through this thing first? Something doesnt seem right with this. Am I being paranoid or asking too much for this pistol to initially function as designed? Anyone else in the same boat?
    One of the main reasons I carry and trust my life to a revolver is because it will go bang everytime, with no break in period. And if five 357 mags aren't enough, well then I guess it's my time.

But I do carry a P3AT as a BUG and I have a P11 just to have a double stack 9. Both have had more than 300 rds through them before I would feel comfortable trusting my life to them. Relax, put some ammo through it, take it apart and clean it, re lube it with a good quality gun lube. Take the mags apart, clean them good and re lube them. Most autos need some ammo run through them to smooth things out and become reliable. :)

My sister has the 380 BG. She did have to send it back to S&W and she said she got great service. She was shooting it one day and when the mag was empty,the slide didn't lock back open.I looked at it and tried to lock it back with an empty mag,so i could take it apart.No luck,the slide wouldn't lock back no matter what i tried.

She called S&W and a rep told her the screw on the laser was probably loose and that was what was causing it not to lock open.She couldn't break it down to look at screw.They sent her a shipping label and she sent it back.It came back in a little less than 2 weeks.

I was just posting this in case you ever have trouble with it,and may not know.She hasn't had any more trouble with it and it's been about a yr.since this happened.So far as the mag goes,no problem so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent95 View Post
    My sister has the 380 BG. She did have to send it back to S&W and she said she got great service. She was shooting it one day and when the mag was empty,the slide didn't lock back open.I looked at it and tried to lock it back with an empty mag,so i could take it apart.No luck,the slide wouldn't lock back no matter what i tried.

She called S&W and a rep told her the screw on the laser was probably loose and that was what was causing it not to lock open.She couldn't break it down to look at screw.They sent her a shipping label and she sent it back.It came back in a little less than 2 weeks.

I was just posting this in case you ever have trouble with it,and may not know.She hasn't had any more trouble with it and it's been about a yr.since this happened.So far as the mag goes,no problem so far.
    Yes I have heard about it as well happening. One of the first things I did was locktite the screw with med strength down really well.

Go Seahawks!
    kaikane0812 likes this.

First off I am a newbie to all of this. I recently purchased a BG 380 and I am a bit frustrated. One of the main reasons that I went got a pistol vs a revolver was the capacity.
    thats why you buy a larger pistol... not what you got. You never buy a little pocket sized gun for capacity, you buy it because its very small and easy to conceal. If you want to buy one for capacity, get something about the same size as a small revolver and get 8 - 12+ rounds, not 6. I carry around my Chiappa Rhino most of the time, rather easily... with 6 357 mag rounds, which 6 .380s in the BodyGuard cannot compare. It is bigger than the Bodyguard 380 though, but still easy enough to conceal. You may be happier with a larger pistol if you really want capacity.

Mag Problem

I have the original mag plus 2 i purchased......and no problems. Take them apart and check the springs and try a loader if they are functioning but still. Mine are very easy to load all 6 rounds in all 3 mags. Sorry for your problem, I really like my BG380.

Daughter in law just purchased the BW for CW. At the range, I noted that it takes a good palm slap to seat the mag. However, the Shield my wife has is the same way. Wife's is getting looser probably due to all the rounds she's put thru it. Typically all weapons loosen up after usage.
    Thanks for the tip on the Lazer screw, I'll pass that on to the DIL.

Links