New M&P 9 Shield Range Report

This is a discussion on New M&P 9 Shield Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I recently taded in my Kahr CW9 for a S&W Shield, see previous thread here if you're interested in why: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-w-shield.html So today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New M&P 9 Shield Range Report

New M&P 9 Shield Range Report

Hi all,

I recently taded in my Kahr CW9 for a S&W Shield, see previous thread here if you're interested in why:

Replacing Kahr CW9 with S&W Shield

So today I finally got out to the range to try the new pistol out. This trip I kept things pretty simple, checking for function and accuracy. My target was the NRA B8 with 5.5" bullseye. Ammo used was Blazer Brass and PMC, both 115 gr ball.

Though I did not clean the gun (just lube), function was 100% through 100 rds. using both the 7 and 8 rd magazines. The trigger is heavier than my G19 but very crisp with the well publicized strong reset. Accuracy was easily within the bullseye at 5-10 yds and ergonomics were good with no sharp edges showing up during firing. Factory sights are what I've come to expect on most factory guns, mediocre at best. The front to rear widths do not allow enough light on either side for my liking, so they will be replaced soon.

What I really took note of was the light recoil of the pistol. This allowed me to come back on target quickly with minimal muzzle flip. I would attribute this characteristic to the dual recoil spring set up and ergonomics. When using the 7 round magazine, I can get 2 1/2 fingers on the grip. Of course the longer 8 round magazine allows for a full 3 finger grip. In spite of this, I didn't find either one to affect accuracy more than the other.

All in all, I like the little pistol as it fits my hand and shooting style while maintaining a thin profile. I plan on installing a set of Talon Grips and sights next to improve shoot-ability for me. Though I have only 100 rds through it if it proves durable, I think this will probably satisfy my CCW needs.
    Last edited by JMB; December 10th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
    gatorbait51 and Pawatch like this.

2. Remove Ads

The trigger is heavier than my G19 but very crisp with the well publicized strong reset.
    They must have turned them around because the complaint used to be that there was very little re-set tactile feedback. Good job, S&W.

How are you acclimating to the two part trigger? Do you even notice it? (A good thing.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    They must have turned them around because the complaint used to be that there was very little re-set tactile feedback. Good job, S&W.

How are you acclimating to the two part trigger? Do you even notice it? (A good thing.)
    From what I understand, the Shield came with a redesigned trigger specifically for what you mentioned. The two-piece trigger is not noticeable to me at all.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Winner winner...chicken dinner! Glad you are satisfied with this beaut of firearm. I dig mine as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    Congratulations. It is really good when "all" you have to do is trade one gun that was a bummer for another that works really well for you. Some people have to go through the trading process several times before they find the one that fits them and works well.

I've had 2 "bad and/or bad for me" guns and both times was fortunate to trade for one that I really liked - and kept.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; December 10th, 2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I spent months reading, touching, and watching videos before I bought my shield. I one preformed 40 hours of research just to pick out a toilet...

In the end I picked up a 9mm shield for 389. I've pretty much decided I will do the apex kit and night sights soon to make it perfect.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
    I spent months reading, touching, and watching videos before I bought my shield. I one preformed 40 hours of research just to pick out a toilet...
    Getting the right toilet is very important.
    srings and gatorbait51 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Getting the right toilet is very important.
    Why aren't we doing more posts in the off topic sections on the ideal toilet? I. Am. Outragged! Ha!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Good to hear your range trip went well.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Congratulations. It is really good when "all" you have to do is trade one gun that was a bummer for another that works really well for you. Some people have to go through the trading process several times before they find the one that fits them and works well.

I've had 2 "bad and/or bad for me" guns and both times was fortunate to trade for one that I really liked - and kept.
    After 20 years of shooting handguns, I have a pretty good idea of what works for me...except this time. I really wanted to like the Kahr...looks good, works good, but the size combined with the trigger design didn't fit me well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    ...Accuracy was easily within the bullseye at 5-10 yds and ergonomics were good with no sharp edges showing up during firing. Factory sights are what I've come to expect on most factory guns, mediocre at best. The front to rear widths do not allow enough light on either side for my liking, so they will be replaced soon.

I too have a Shield in 9mm, and I find it to be an excellent pistol for my needs. However, if you are unfamiliar with changing the sights, go over Smith-wessonforum.com and read up. It is not an easy job with the shield, and the sights are very tight in the slide.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I too have a Shield in 9mm, and I find it to be an excellent pistol for my needs. However, if you are unfamiliar with changing the sights, go over Smith-wessonforum.com and read up. It is not an easy job with the shield, and the sights are very tight in the slide.
    Thanks,

I'm not unfamiliar with changing sights. That said, I won't be doing this one...I'll have a gunsmith take care of it for me.

I have seen mixed reports on the shields safety. Some people say they wish it were bigger so it could be easily turned on/off, others say they like it being small so they can leave the safety off.

My question is, if you were going to carry with the safety on, do you think it is really too small to hit off in the spur of the moment? This gun seems like a real winner from all the hype it gets, the only thing that baffles me is why that safety is not larger, or not on there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    I have seen mixed reports on the shields safety. Some people say they wish it were bigger so it could be easily turned on/off, others say they like it being small so they can leave the safety off.

My question is, if you were going to carry with the safety on, do you think it is really too small to hit off in the spur of the moment? This gun seems like a real winner from all the hype it gets, the only thing that baffles me is why that safety is not larger, or not on there at all.
    My opinion only...the safety, if intended to be carried "ON SAFE" should be bigger. I have no idea what their thought process was for putting it there since other M&P semi-autos don't have it by default. I will be keeping an eye on it to see if it moves while being carried. If it does, I will have to train to sweep it down during the draw...which might be the best approach anyway.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Thanks,

I'm not unfamiliar with changing sights. That said, I won't be doing this one...I'll have a gunsmith take care of it for me.
    Good idea !

How tight are they ? I cracked the slide in my shield using a MGW sight pusher designed for the shield only. Was not a good day

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links