Finally - my shiny new Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro

This is a discussion on Finally - my shiny new Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All right, after a day's delay courtesy of NICS I was able to pick up my new gun last night. I had no time to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Finally - my shiny new Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro

All right, after a day's delay courtesy of NICS I was able to pick up my new gun last night. I had no time to go to the range, but I managed to give it a quick clean--nothing fancy, just field stripped it, cleaned all the packaging gunk I could reach, and lightly oiled the barrel and slide. I'd read that the magazine springs come pretty stiff from factory, so I left both of them loaded overnight hoping to loosen them up a bit. I was able to go to the range this morning to try it out.

I fired 250 rounds through it (200x 230gr Blazer FMJ, 50x 230gr Gold Dot) with zero hiccups. Every round fed, fired, and ejected just fine. Compared to my Glocks, this thing has a pretty strong ejector. The Blazer rounds I was firing were pretty dirty (a surprise, since I've fired a ton of 9mm Blazers which burnt very cleanly), but the gun performed with no complaints even though chunks of carbon were flying off it and a fine sludge was starting to cover everything. I know 250 rounds isn't exactly a torture test, but I was still happy to see Glock-like reliability right out of the box.

Accuracy's very good for a SD pistol. This was my first day with the gun (and my first day shooting 45), and 7-shot single holes at 5 yards weren't hard to get in single action. In single action, my groups were tighter than with either of my Glocks all the way out to 25 yards. Doing that got boring pretty quickly, so I spent the rest of the session doing quick double-tap drills from low ready/decocked. I expected to have trouble pointing the gun since the grip angle is *substantially* different from my Glocks, but for some reason I didn't, it pointed very naturally. I also expected the recoil to be stout, but it was only marginally worse than from my Glock 26. I recently shot a S&W Bodyguard 38 with regular pressure ammo and the recoil from that felt *much* more painful...I'd had enough after one box. In comparison, today I stopped at 250 simply because I ran out of ammo. I felt like I could go all day.

The trigger took a little getting used to (I'm very used to the Glock trigger), but once I adjusted it was pretty sweet. The double action pull is rather long, but not too heavy and quite smooth. The single action has just a little bit of takeup and a crisp break. Reset is nowhere near as tactile as a Glock's, but it's loud enough to notice and very short.

As for the other controls, the slide release and magazine release are easy to reach. The decocker safety is hard to engage without switching your grip a bit or using your support hand. It's very easy to flip off, though.

The only thing that didn't go perfectly is that I got a bit of hammer bite and the bandaid to prove it. I'll need to see about maybe finding a custom grip with a bit more of a beavertail. Or grip this a little differently, I dunno.

I don't expect this pistol to replace either of my Glocks for EDC, but I will probably carry it when I feel the need for a little variety (Crossbreed Supertuck's on the way for it, as well as a couple of extra magazines). I'd certainly feel safe with it, and it seems extremely reliable. It will probably also become my permanent nightstand gun when it's not on me (I've wanted a gun with an external safety as a primary HD weapon for some time now, less likely to cause an accident if I'm fumbling for it half-asleep and I can Mexican carry it in my pijamas if I have to put it away.)

Pictures to come later if I'm not too lazy for it.

Really, no pics. Im out....
    panda15 and Bad Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glad you acquired the new Bersa. Bersa makes a very under-rated product. I'm sure you'll work out the slide bite issue. When I first shot my Glock, the first semi-auto in far too many years, I held it revolver style and it dang near ripped my thumb off! That was a quick one-shot lesson!

Did they say what caused the NICS check, other than being up to their eyeballs with checks?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Really, no pics. Im out....
    Fine, fine, I'll put some pictures up tonight when I get home and clean the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Glad you acquired the new Bersa. Bersa makes a very under-rated product. I'm sure you'll work out the slide bite issue. When I first shot my Glock, the first semi-auto in far too many years, I held it revolver style and it dang near ripped my thumb off! That was a quick one-shot lesson!

Did they say what caused the NICS check, other than being up to their eyeballs with checks?
    I suspect I'm allowing the gun to rotate a bit too much in my hand during recoil, so I'll try gripping it more tightly next time to see if it eliminates the bite. As for the delay, no, they didn't tell me anything just that it was over. I assume they were overloaded.

Skipped through all that text until the pictures are delivered.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Here's a picture: Thunder UC Pro Series
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member
    I have a Bersa 45 UC. You have a great gun. Enjoy and good luck
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    "shiny new Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro"

With no pic.

Great write-up and I'm glad you got your pistol and even more so that it seems to work well for you. It's good to hear that the recoil is just a little more than the G26, that was one thing I was wondering on such a small .45.

Get some pics up for us!

Looking forward to the pictures.

What made you want this particular gun?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Bersa 45UC is a great gun. Congrats.

here's a pic of my older Pre-Pro Thunder 45UC to help appease those that only buy the magazine for the great "articles" Fantastic trigger on this one.

WHEC724 and Pukindog12 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Looking forward to the pictures.

What made you want this particular gun?
    Several reasons, actually. I wanted a 45ACP to add to my carry rotation for a little variety from the 9mms, that settled the caliber. I also wanted a nice single action trigger...really, I wanted a non-Glock for a change, but I didn't want a gun I had to carry with the safety on. I didn't want to compromise on the important stuff (reliability and accuracy). Based on the reviews, this was it. Having lived two decades in Argentina didn't hurt either, it felt just wrong to not have a single Bersa in the safe...
    BigJon10125 and Pukindog12 like this.

I have heard good things about them, from many people and they seem to be a great value. Hope it serves you well. Looking forward to the pictures.

Do they take larger magazines of their full size counterparts? Would be nice to have the whole, bigger mag for secondary use if need be like glock folks always discuss.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think the 9mm and .40 versions of the Ultra Compact take the full size magazines. There is no full size version of the 45, though, so I think 7 rounds is it. And yeah, that's a very nice feature of the Glocks. I usually carry a 15 round magazine as a spare for my G26, and a 17 rounder for the G19.

As promised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links