Handgun Question

Handgun Question

This is a discussion on Handgun Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have a couple of questions. Im considering getting a small hand gun to carry for protection. What would ya'll recommend for a lady ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Handgun Question

Handgun Question

Hi, I have a couple of questions. Im considering getting a small hand gun to carry for protection. What would ya'll recommend for a lady newbie? Right now I only carry a taser, but you have to be right up on someone to use that. Any sugestions?
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

Glock 19, or Glock 26. Both in 9mm. Another option would be the S&W M&P compact 9mm.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Thanks, Are those small handguns that can be carried in a purse discreetly?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Ruger LCP, LC9 or SR-9c The LCP and LC9 take a bit of practice to get to be any good with them, the SR-9c feels much more like a "regular" pistol instead of a pocket gun.

But I would recommend is finding a range that has various carry pistols, and go there and shoot them. Since it is something you are planning to have for awhile and trust your life on, it is not something you want to buy just because we suggest it.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I would suggest you get to one of the local ranges, Rangemaster comes to mind, and rent a few guns of different types. No one can tell you what to get. It's what feels comfortable for you to handle and shoot. If possible, take a knowledgable friend with you so you can ask the "stupid" questions without feeling embarrased.

I am in Memphis, so feel free to PM me to ask the above referenced questions if you like.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by wahya76 View Post
    With the "right" purse you can easily carry a full size pistol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You need to find a Range that rents guns. If you can barrow a few is good also. Then all you need is someone to give you some instruction. You will be money ahead if you follow that route.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wahya76 View Post
    The Glock 26 probably fits that bill best, but yes people do carry the Glock 19, and M&P compact 9 in handbags.

OH!!! This is important! Get a dedicated carry purse, or type of carry item. You need the weapon by itself, and it needs to be holstered (a holster is also a safety device so that it covers the trigger, and doesnt go off), AND, the holster needs to remain behind when the weapon is drawn.

Galco makes some, and Maxpedition makes some as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm really not aware of a best "ladies gun", just like I'm not aware of the best "guys gun". We're all too different in our design and needs.

It really is best to rent some out and figure out what you like and don't like.
    technomonster and Eric357 like this.

And then after you get the firearm, remember, practice, practice and practice.

Would suggest taking your carry permit class an another class to get familiar with firearms than go to a range that rents to get comfortable shooting different weapons. Carrying in a purse is not the best way to carry even with a gun purse. You might want to check out cornered cat an limatunes lots of info for women carriers.

VIP Member
    Small isn't always better. Small handguns of sufficient caliber to be "useful" are usually harder to shoot quickly and accurately than a larger gun in the same caliber.

If you are inexperience in handguns, I suggest you find a local trainer to go through the basics with you BEFORE you buy anything. My thinking on this is that you won't know what works for YOU until you know what it is that a defensive handgun NEEDS to be able to do. In other words, you need to know the right questions before you can get the right answers.

If the above doesn't apply or, you wish to ignore it, go with any of the big name brands. Almost all of them will have something to fit your needs.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Check out the "Simple advice for new carriers" thread.

Asking what to carry is going to cause you more confusion than it is worth. Try some stuff out, see what you are comfortable with.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

/thanks Everyone for the advice
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Wahya76,

You're asking one difficult question and there's no real simple answer... if you're wanting to pick up a firearm for protection, that's great... but which one? do you have any experience with firearms? Are you wanting to carry it concealed? Are you willing to take a class? Are you willing to pull the trigger to defend yourself? Lots of questions that can be asked.

I'd encourage you to find a local class to take that covers fundamentals of shooting. Get comfortable with firearms and using them first in a structured environment with a quality instructor... then go to a range and test fire several different types of guns.

Don't be mislead by others that will tell you "Get a 38 snub nosed revolver... it's all you'll ever need!" Everyone is different and a snubnosed revolver isn't really a beginner's gun but they're often times recommended for ladies...

After taking a beginners pistol course, go to a range and test fit handguns to see what does and does not fit in your hands... you might not like the control placement on certain weapons... or feel that you have the strength to operate the slide on a semi-automatic... or you might find that you like a 1911 style and it fits you perfectly... only you will know by testing them out... and some shooting ranges have different calibers and handguns to try.

Try out a .380, 9mm, .40 Smith and Wesson, and a .45 Auto... then make your choice.

I would recommend that you get some sort of 22 pistol to practice shooting fundamentals with because recoil is much less (usually) than larger caliber handguns and ammunition is usually more plentiful and easily found... but you'll need to make your own choice.

I would also recommend that you consider carrying on your body instead of inside your purse... if your purse is taken, then you don't have your pistol anymore... but that's your choice and no one should fault you for making that decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links