Who Owns A Ruger P89?

This is a discussion on Who Owns A Ruger P89? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my undergraduate college career is officially at an end and I'm looking for a new purchase with which to celebrate. Budget was a concern ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Owns A Ruger P89?

Who Owns A Ruger P89?

So my undergraduate college career is officially at an end and I'm looking for a new purchase with which to celebrate. Budget was a concern as it is also the Christmas season and if I get a new present and my wife doesn't she would make short work of certain vital pieces of my anatomy.

Anyway, I have been turned on to the Ruger P89. My uncle owns one and he LOVES it. I am aware that it is bulky but I like the design and it would likely be a bedside/target gun rather than a CCW. (Although in the winter I tend to carry my S&W 686 so it would probably be a step down in size.)

So here is my question, who owns a P89 and what are your impressions of it Good, Bad and Ugly?
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

2. Remove Ads

I own a P89 and like it a lot. It goes to the range every weekend I shoot. I shoot bowling pins with it at informal pistol shoots at my local range, I can beat most with it. It was purchased at Cabela's for $250.00, used.

The P89 is to large for me to conceal, so it has its own place in the bedroom.

I did try to trade it at one time, but couldn't get a decent amount for it. Everybody is looking for something that is easier to conceal, so guns like this end up sitting in the shop for long periods of time. At least that's what I was told by the guy behind the counter. At this point I'm happy I did not get rid of it.

"The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

Good to know....

In addition to the target shooting factor I feel that it would be rugged enough and reliable enough to make a good survival/shtf handgun. If anyone has any comments on that let me know as well.

Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have a p95. Is that similar? It is simply great- big, ugly, 100% reliable with all ammo. I like it and bought it new for about 329 plus tax. I shoot it pretty well given my low level of ability. And I just like Rugers. I am a revolver person, but this is a well done clunky gun.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I have one

I have a P89 and also a P85. Same magazines as my PC-9 Carbine. I shoot +P Cor Bon in it with no worries about wear and tear. Would be a great bedside gun, and sometimes a car gun...That's what I mostly use it for. A bit big to carry, and I usually carry a full sized 1911. I originally bought the pistol and carbine to be used as a combination for SHTF use so I would only have to have one caliber and magazines.

The Rugers are tanks... I own a couple Rugers and never had any problems at all. I think it's a good choice....

Administrator
    Although I am sometimes accused of being a gun snob, I really like the P89; especially for the price you can find them at. I have kept one around for years without any problems.

They can use a little refinement but at the price they sell for, who's going to complain?

My father has one (stainless version), and it's SWEET. Was the first firearm I ever saw in person, and the first pistol I ever shot. A little thick in the grip for my tastes, but that's to be expected with most double-stack autos. Positive external ambi safety is a nice touch for practicing with your off-hand shooting as well.

I'd recommend it.

I own a P91DC their .40 cal de-cocker. It is absolutely reliable, always shoots without a hickup. I would never give it up and keep a good bit of ammo on hand for a bad day....
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Well I had both a original P-85 and a P97.

Tough as tanks and never a jam. I've got big paws so the grip has never been an issue for me.

I've also shot the P345 and like it alot as well.

I have one and love it. I have never had problems with the ruger line. I like the width of the grip and the double stack mags. It feels very solid in my hands. Like most have said, it is a bit large and bulky.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The P-89 is what my Dad used to teach me to shoot hanguns.

Built like a tank, and just as bulky, it is reliable and truly a case of function over form.

You cant really go wrong with one for the price.
    Fear No Evil.

I used to have one. Ugly, inaccurate(maybe just me), but I only had one stovepipe (with reloaded ammo) in the entire time I owned it. They are practically indestructable.

BUY IT AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED. I have had mine since ti was new, 1990 or so? its old but as was waid before "reliable to a fault and bulky to the same degree.

it aint no High Point but its no Kimber either. but is as reliable as either one...maybe even more than the Kimber.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

But it goes bang everytime you pull the trigger.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links