Walther PPS 40 Caliber Thoughts- Opinions

This is a discussion on Walther PPS 40 Caliber Thoughts- Opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trading for a Walther PPS 40 Cal, any information would be appreciated. Reliability, accuracy and recoil? I will CCW this AIWB seems to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS 40 Caliber Thoughts- Opinions

Walther PPS 40 Caliber Thoughts- Opinions

I am trading for a Walther PPS 40 Cal, any information would be appreciated. Reliability, accuracy and recoil?

I will CCW this AIWB seems to be small enough to do this.

2. Remove Ads

I just got rid of all my 40s. For semiautos, its 9mm & 380s for me. 40 cal costs more than 9mm, and has more muzzle flip. The recoil wasnt a big deal in any of my guns.

Walthers have a good reputation for reliability.

The Walther PPS in .40 has to be a near perfect CC gun, IMHO.

I just got out of 9mm & use .40 cal second to my .45acps.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    I recently got rid of all of my 40s but then seeing a smoking deal on one here lured me back in. Kind of funny how we all make these differences.

Anyway- the PPS is a solid platform. The recoil is a tad snappy, but that isn't uncommon in 40 S&W pistols. I'd rather have the gun in 9 or 45, but one in 40 isn't a horrible thing... in fact it is pretty darned nice.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Lead Moderator
    My 9mm PPS has been very reliable and accurate . I'm sure with the .40 you will get more recoil , but from a use and carry stand point I love my Walther. AIWB works great with this gun for me as well. I dislike , but can live with the mag release and odd mag base plates though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i find the PPS to be very awkward in the hand, the trigger placement is too low.

carried one in .40 for a while, recoil in is manageable, mine was reliable. 1k before i sold it, no failures.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

The PPS is thin, and has a unique ejection port. I read some where that the PPS is the official CCW of the CIA.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am trading for a Walther PPS 40 Cal, any information would be appreciated. Reliability, accuracy and recoil?

I will CCW this AIWB seems to be small enough to do this.

Well over 4,000 rounds through my PPS 9 without a glitch. I admit I am not a fan of the .40. I am not convinced that with modern defensive ammo, you are gaining more than you are giving up (more recoil etc) going with the .40 instead of the 9.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Being about as thin as a reliable automatic can get, the PPS and similar platforms (Kahr) will produce more felt recoil than a wider, more hand filling grip. PPS users often use Limbsaver or Hogue slip on grips. Mags are hard to find, but each size changes the feel of the gun. The large mag makes the grip feel like a full size gun.

The gun is ridiculously accurate for such a short barrel. The wide combat style sights get tricky past 50m, but the gun can do it.
    Reliability is 100%. The slide stop design has changed since gen1, but I have has zero concerns and zero stoppages. You can induce a FTE if you limp wrist, but that is possible to varying degrees with most polymer and all subcompacts.

The PPS is an amazing cc piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I recently got rid of all of my 40s but then seeing a smoking deal on one here lured me back in. Kind of funny how we all make these differences.

Anyway- the PPS is a solid platform. The recoil is a tad snappy, but that isn't uncommon in 40 S&W pistols. I'd rather have the gun in 9 or 45, but one in 40 isn't a horrible thing... in fact it is pretty darned nice.
    Years ago, I decided to 'consolidate calibers' to save on ammo in bulk. I did very well for years. I chose the .45acp over the 9mm & the 5.56 over the .308 + stuck w 12 ga.
    I had some CC sidearms in various calibers, but minimal ammo for 'em.

Ended up with all the major calibers because the sidearms are just a way too perfect fit, for me for CC. My rule of thumb is 22 oz max & 0.99in max width.
    The most important factor in a sidearm is how it "fits" in your hand for trigger pull, mag release, aiming, accuracy, reliability, stripping for maintenance, etc.

I recently got back into .40 (a devastating caliber), but only got about 1k rounds ammo for it. Same for my 9mm, .38+P & .357Mag snubbies, but am stocked on Duty Grade .45acp/.223/12ga, for life. I even got a .380acp Pocket Puppy for those times when great discretion is appropriate.
    Just had to order some Range-Grade .45acp so I can get some practice in next week.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I've been tempted by the PPS several times at local gun stores in recent months but that paddle magazine release kept turning me off. If Walther ever goes to a more traditional button / thumb release like they did on the PPQ, though, I'll probably snap one up. 9mm would be my preference in a gun that size, though, as I get the sense that .40 would probably be a bear to shoot out of something that small and slim. Of course, that's just personal preference and all indications are the PPS is a superb CCW piece regardless of caliber.

I love my PPS 40, you will not regret buying one.

As far as accuracy and reliability I don't think you will be dissapointed with it.

It's a phenomenal gun. I carried it for a couple years. Absolutely LOVE the mag release in the trigger guard. It was so natural. I switched to 9mm and carry my Sigs now but that Walther is one of the guns I regret selling. So slim, so accurate, natural pointer for my hands.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
    It's a phenomenal gun. I carried it for a couple years. Absolutely LOVE the mag release in the trigger guard. It was so natural.
    Great design, isn't it? I use the middle finger of my shooting hand. Some use their index finger. Very fast, natural, clears my palm of the very short grip while inserting a new mag.
    Best of all, never worry about inadvertently dropping mags like some holsters can do with traditional button mag releases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links