Affordable Brand EDC?

This is a discussion on Affordable Brand EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC is currently Glock G35 0.40. Its a great pistol but a bit big. So, I am shopping for an affordable but reliable EDC ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Affordable Brand EDC?

Affordable Brand EDC?

My EDC is currently Glock G35 0.40. Its a great pistol but a bit big.

So, I am shopping for an affordable but reliable EDC in either .40 or 9mm

Gimme your opinons on the following brands. Info like the ones that are built poorly and liable to blow up in your hand, or built well but not usually recognized for their quality because other more popular brands that market better.

Bersa
    Taurus
    Kel-Tec
    Khar
    Para
    Any other brand you feel deserves consideration (besides, glock, springfield, S&W, Baretta)

As always, look forward to everyones input, opinons, and views.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Ruger.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Define affordable.

I'd say a 442 or 642 j frame. Here, they're 399 brand new. Small, light, plenty of horsepower.

For a smaller 9mm, I'd say an M&P compact. A Shield would work well, now I think of it. Should my local guy ever get them, they are 375. But good luck finding one.
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.

VIP Member
    Bersa- Well Regarded. Most people owners I have spoken with are very pleased.
    Taurus- Doesn't have the greatest reputation, but not known for being terrible. I decided to give one a shot and am in love with my 145 Mil Pro. But those are no longer in production, they've gone to a second generation gun. I have heard good things about those.
    Kel-Tec- Better than they used to be. From time to time people still get guns that have issues. Most are easily corrected yourself. If you don't want to do the work yourself sending it back to Kel Tec will ensure you get a gun that runs like a top back from them in just about every case I've heard of. If you're willing to jump through a hoop or two they're a great bargain. I have owned 5 different P3AT pistols over the year. Only one had issues, a fluff and buff fixed that.
    Khar- Some people have problems, most don't. Cost more than I'd be willing to pay for something that may or may not work.
    Para- No clue- no experience with them.

As said above, Ruger makes some great guns for the CCW market.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Sorry, you ruled out the three I was going to recommend...
    40Cal365 likes this.

I won't do Kahr or Para, but that may be personal.

I like my S&W M&P Shield .40 at 19 oz and only 0.95 inch width & comes with 2 mags, one for carry & one extended, cost $384. online last week.
    Superb trigger.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    Out of your listed brands, bersa would be the only one I'd spend my money on. Only read good things from the owners of bersa's, all the others have quite mixed reviews (well, haven't heard much about para).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

The brands I ruled out seem well known enough that they all could be viable choices. So for the purposes of this thread, I am exploring the "lesser knownd less frequently chosen" brands. If their are other brands I left out make sure and bring them up with your pros and cons.

thanx
    gatorbait51 likes this.

+1 for bersa, the thunder ultra compact pro in 9mm or .40 (or 45) is a great gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 9mm Ruger Sr9c. Have em love em. SR9 is great too not hard to cc at all and is my edc normally. Very thin. But a bit longer barrel and grip.
    BradL and gatorbait51 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I like carrying a small snubby revolver like a S&W j frame or a M85 by Taurus or Ruger SP101. Can't go wrong with any of these.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Gotta rule out Glock and S&W, huh?

Ok then, get a Ruger wheelgun.
    gatorbait51 and fredg53 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Gotta rule out Glock and S&W, huh?

Ok then, get a Ruger wheelgun.
    Again, not ruling them out. I just know what I like in them, G27 sub compact, M&P Shield in .40, and XDS or an XDM subcompact in .40. Also considering a Kimber Solo.

Just wanted to look at other alternative brands that are built well and function reliably for a good value.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Police trade-in Glock or Sig.
    5lima30ret and gatorbait51 like this.

I've had my Bersa BP9CC for a few weeks now and love it! I only have 100 rounds through it so far but problem free. Thin, light, feels great in my hand, nice trigger, accurate, relatively cheap, positive reviews just about everywhere you look. It's hard to beat for the price. I would have seriously considered the SR9c if I wasn't scared away by the manual safety.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links