2 calibers or stick with 1

This is a discussion on 2 calibers or stick with 1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering buying a EDC that is a bit more concealable. Currently carrying .40 Glock G35. I plan on keeping it for HD. Am I further ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: 2 calibers or stick with 1

Considering buying a EDC that is a bit more concealable. Currently carrying .40 Glock G35. I plan on keeping it for HD. Am I further ahead sticking with the same caliber so that I dont have to stock other calibers? Or, is goin to another caliber, say 9mm a good idea so I have can find one or the other given the difficulty in buying ammo these days?

Also, given the smaller frame of a subcompact, maybe a 9mm would be a good choice?

what are your thougts? 1 caliber or 2? Why?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I run three calibers....9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. It is more expensive up front but I feel better about having a solid mix of calibers. During the latest fiasco with ammo, 9mm was nearly impossible to find in my area but 40 S&W and 45 ACP were much easier to find.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Go with 2 calibers and then buy 1000 rounds for each one of them.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 13th, 2013 at 12:37 AM.

Based on the last shortage I would go .40 and .45, because as Tundra said, those were the two easiest to come by in my neck of the woods.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

If I'm not mistaken the frame on the 9 and the 40 are identical, the G35 you now have is a pretty long piece for edc (my opinion only) if you really like the .40 you could always go with the G23 (which is exactly the same size as the G19) and get a 9mm barrel to drop in it, or if you want smaller you could get the G27 (which is exactly the same size as the G26) and get a 9mm barrel to drop in it. Than you could carry or shoot what ever floats your boat that day.

Some like to stick with one caliber to keep it simple others like to have the option of different calibers in case you can't find ammo in one .

Hope that helps.
    gatorbait51 and cop154 like this.

Seems as though 40 was readily available during Ammocrunch '13.

But 9 was available if you were persistent.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 13th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

That is a very god point, I frgot I could do that, now I have to go see if I can do that a subcompact. Arr any of you familiar with Lone Wolf barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the frame on the 9 and the 40 are identical, the G35 you now have is a pretty long piece for edc (my opinion only) if you really like the .40 you could always go with the G23 (which is exactly the same size as the G19) and get a 9mm barrel to drop in it, or if you want smaller you could get the G27 (which is exactly the same size as the G26) and get a 9mm barrel to drop in it. Than you could carry or shoot what ever floats your boat that day.

Some like to stick with one caliber to keep it simple others like to have the option of different calibers in case you can't find ammo in one .

Hope that helps.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post
    That is a very god point, I frgot I could do that, now I have to go see if I can do that a subcompact. Arr any of you familiar with Lone Wolf barrels?
    MY 2$ I looked at a 40 glock with a 9mm barrel and did not do it and stuck with 9mm as unless you change a few other parts the option was that it was a range piece but dont carry it, but that could be internet drible . That said LW seems to make good stuff ( I used storm lake but LW is just fine ).

That all said the 35/34 are Comp gun I would not used one for anything but HD they seem too big and slow to draw in a SD imop . I would just get a 19 or 23 if you wanted a carry all piece if you are wanting to stick with glock. I would say it is good to have a 40 and a 9 these are common rounds and at least one seems to always be in stock this time around it was 40 cal. Also if SHTF most LEO/GOV used 40 or 9 and maybe even a glock so ..

All things consider consider your budget and if you reload. If you can afford more then one caliber 9mm is a great choice or 45 lots of great options . Course if you want some fun in ammo finding go with 32 or 25 boy thous are fun guns to buy for ( by which I mean the great rounds for them are either immposible to get or banned in the case of some 32acp).

Perosnal I would at a bare min have a couple hundered rounds to 1k+ for 9 and 40 and I would also lay in when it gets cheep 22lr as you can get 22lr kits for the glocks that used to be cheep fun. Also as a side note if you shoot c&r or commie guns that might be a good things to lay in considering what happen to all that china ammo...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I like to keep all my handguns to 9mm, 45ACP, or 10mm. I've even thought about dumping the 10mm, but like them so much.
    gatorbait51 and vice87 like this.

In "normal" times, there may be some advantage to limiting your armory to a single caliber. However, these are uncertain times at best due to regulatory actions, the political climate, and the population's reactions to both, so I'd be inclined to diversify.
    gatorbait51 and soonershoote like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    0.38 Super then .41 Magnum. Have an extra 9 mm barrel for one of the Supers . May look into a .45 ..

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In "normal" times, there may be some advantage to limiting your armory to a single caliber. However, these are uncertain times at best due to regulatory actions, the political climate, and the population's reactions to both, so I'd be inclined to diversify.

Bingo . People seem to forget how much of our ammo esp the older stuff ( 303 etc) and 7.62x39, 5.45 is not made here ,heck even some of the 223 we are getting is made in Tawian . That and a lot of people dont seem to remember the ban on china ammo and how cheep it used to be or the ban on a lot of steel core stuff. So yeah some stuff may be harder to get but wont go around in the Future ie 9 and 40 maybe 45 but something like 32 or such ...

Just look at NY that makes you have to buy all ammo at a dealer now or Ct that said you need permit to buy ammo or even NJ and some parts of CA and whole weird laws on HP . Just saying ammo is the week point of guns..
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    0.38 Super then .41 Magnum. Have an extra 9 mm barrel for one of the Supers . May look into a .45 ..
    Heck you can shoot 7.62x25 out of of a 38 super 1911 if I am not mistaken.

And of course 460 rowland out of a 45 ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I run a G27 with a lonewolf 9mm barrel. I'd never carry the 9mm barrel, but I don't think I've had a single issue at the range, so it seems pretty reliable to me. During the panic times .40 was much easier for me to find than anything else. That said, I don't really carry the G27 very often. I started reloading 9mm and now switch between a G19 and a Kahr CM9. If all I had was a glock 35, I'd probably add the 27 or 23 with a 9mm barrel for the range unless I really wanted away from .40.
    Bigsteve113 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Heck you can shoot 7.62x25 out of of a 38 super 1911 if I am not mistaken.

And of course 460 rowland out of a 45 ...
    9x23 is one option with a barrel change. I'll look into the 30 cal round. I know that Colt makes a .40 S&W , but not sure if I all I need is a barrel change for the super or for a .45

.460 Rowland sounds intriguing..
    Pukindog12 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links