Looking to add to the carry list

This is a discussion on Looking to add to the carry list within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a PPQ, an XDm .45 compact, and an XDs .45. Have been using the PPQ as of late which has a 15 ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By 45Fight
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 3 Post By patri0t
  • 3 Post By multistage
  • 1 Post By srings
  • 1 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By GentlemanJim

Thread: Looking to add to the carry list

I currently carry a PPQ, an XDm .45 compact, and an XDs .45. Have been using the PPQ as of late which has a 15 round magazine, the XDm .45c has 9 with the small magazine or 13 with the larger magazine, and the XDs only has five and seven round magazines. I want to add a small and thin 9mm so that I can have a thin gun that I can wear with my tighter close, but still have at least 10 plus bullets, preferably about an 1 an inch wide. I’ve been looking at the M&P 9c which has a 12 round flush magazine 1.2” wide 4.4” tall , the Gen 3 Glock 26 1.18” wide 10 round magazine, 4.17” tall, the XDm 9c 1.18” wide 4.6” tall 13 round magazine and the Caracal CP662 .1” wide 4.8” tall (including grip extension which comes with comes with gun will get one for any gun I get have one on XDs) and 13 round magazine. Caracal had a similar slightly smaller model they recalled and discontinued, the CP662 doenys come out til mid 2014 according Caracal customer service. Also, I am not looking at a Glock 19 because I went with a PPQ over it and it is slightly too big. Is there any compact/sub compacts that I didn’t mention that fits what I’m looking for?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

he keltec p11 takes 59 or 69 mags and is a pretty small gun and thous mags go from 10 base to 12 -15 even 20 +. Also the 6906 is a nice small gun . Also the bretta storm sub compact is a nice small gun . And some of the other single stack pocket 9mm get close the nano mags hold 9+1 the sig 938 holds 7 or 8+1 I think .Most any 10 + gun is going to be double stack thus harder to hide. If you want deep cover get a nano-938-khar etc . But in the larger cat I would say the p11 is small of all of them imop. Course the glock 42 is coming out which might solve all your problems assuming we ever see it ..

I had the full set of m&p ( full , compact and shield ) and sold them all . I did not like how they took-down compared to glocks/xd ( that is you need to take a pen to pop this lever down to take them apart) plus my shild was a pain in the rump it was imop other my then my bodyguard the gun I hated most to take down and clean it had hard spring the slid lock suck and you need a empty mag to make it work right ( I am not used to that ) again probl great gun but I just did not have the time and money to deal with there quirks and breaking them in . Same as my khar that gun hurt like heck to fire and needed a bit of breakig it

I like a gun that can take higher cap mags if you need to lay down lead so I would say a p-11 or 69 gun or a xd/xdm/glock would be good .
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I really like my S&W M&P Shield .40 at 0.95 inch thick and 19 oz, and carry an extra mag..... that I will never need.

In 40+ years of carrying 24/7/365, in bad places, being tasked to run TOWARD trouble, I have never needed a 3rd shot. Takes training, though.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

You ain't gonna beat the M&P 9c.

I bought one for my wife. It has rapidly turned into a favorite. I just need a few more mags when they resurface.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    You ain't gonna beat the M&P 9c.

I bought one for my wife. It has rapidly turned into a favorite. I just need a few more mags when they resurface.
    My brother, a captain in the Navy, swears by his M&P 9c. I've got the full size and Shield in 9mm. I just might have to start looking at the 9c as well for fun.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. Red from Shawshank Redemption
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

I don't think any of the double stacks are going to get you to that thinner feeling one inch mark. The XDM9c would carry the same as your XDM45c, but on the positive side you can share holsters and you get to use the 19 round 9mm mags. For a slimmer carry I think you'll have to stick to single stacks like the xds, shield, kahr, lc9, nano, 938, etc which would all be less than 10 rounds. I have both the XDS45 and a glock 27. The XDS9 would give you 7+1 rounds compared to the Glock's ~9+1 - I rarely ever get my Glocks fully loaded for carry. The XDS feels quite a bit thinner IWB than the glock, but the short grip on the glock does help make up a bit of the difference. You can also use the same holsters for the XDS9 that you have already for the XDS45. Right now I rotate mainly between a Kahr CM9 and a Glock 19 depending on what I can wear. I used to own the XDM9c and XDM45c before I sold them off and replaced them with a Glock 30S and Glock 19. I'm really happy with the Glocks, but I regret ever selling the Springfields. I've also been watching for a while for the chance to try a Shield.

Add an Airweight Smth .38 Special. Like a 638.

Shield
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

to get your 10 round capacity, you're gonna have to go with a double stack. I'd go with either of these two in 9 or 40.

Tundra5.7 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    to get your 10 round capacity, you're gonna have to go with a double stack. I'd go with either of these two in 9 or 40.
    That's why the Caracal CP662 interest me, it holds 13+1 and seems to be about the same size as and XDs or Sheild (slightly less than 1 inch thick). The only thing that scares me off is that the previous model which was called the Caracal SC was recalled. The military arms channel did a review on the older models and said that they had better triggers than Glocks. Will have to do more research on them! Here are some links on them if you want to check them out.

Caracal pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caracal

sig p228 or p229. 13+1, 1.5in width. probably thee most comfortable firearm i have shot (p228). you may vary. rent one.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

VIP Member
    I don't know if it just me, but I don't fret over the width of a gun. I carry what feels good to me. Of course I tend to wear clothes that are not tight, so 1/2 of extra width isn't an issue for me. I carry a CZ P-07 daily. At 1.5" width, concealing it isn't a problem.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I would add the Ruger SR9c to your list.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
    Add an Airweight Smth .38 Special. Like a 638.
    They're making those in 9mm with 10+ capacity now???
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I don't know if it just me, but I don't fret over the width of a gun. I carry what feels good to me. Of course I tend to wear clothes that are not tight, so 1/2 of extra width isn't an issue for me. I carry a CZ P-07 daily. At 1.5" width, concealing it isn't a problem.
    Mine don't start off too tight.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

Links